Menu

Freaking out in 3...2...1...

Miss Peregrine

I've had this, it's not pleasant. I think I did take Flagyl. I would take the medication, parasites can hang around for a long time otherwise; they're not easy for the body to get rid of on its own. If my memory is correct that medication left me with an odd, unpleasant taste in my mouth the entire time I was taking it though.

Check the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/p...onpathprotozoa/

Nonpathogenic intestinal protozoa are single-celled parasites commonly found in the intestinal tract but never associated with illness. They do not harm the body, even in people with weak immune systems. Symptomatic people who are found to have these protozoa in their stool should be examined for other causes of their symptoms.

More on this page: http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/nonpathprotozoa/faqs.html

To be on the safe side, should I be treated to get them out of my intestine?

No. These protozoa are harmless.

It doesn't sound like the E. coli would be a problem.

(Just to be precise, E.Coli is a bacteria, not a parasite. You used the wrong abbreviation.)

Sometimes this parasite is used as a marker for one they just didn't happen to find (i.e. if you have it, you are more likely than a stranger on the street to have another one.)

If a person has signs and symptoms consistent with parasites these are often "treated", even though you are really treating the parasites you didn't find. You try scanning through a cup of poo with a microscope. You don't always see everything.

If your child has some mild symptoms not classic for parasites, you might want to have more sophisticated tests done by an Infectious Disease specialtist (who really knows what labs are good at this, and how to get the sample there fresh and steaming) rather than jumping to a Doc in the Box antibiotic.

Flagyl flows like water. It is a very common, well-known med, and the most common side effect is a temporary metallic taste in the mouth.

Free advice on the internet is worth what you pay for it ..... :)

(Just to be precise, E.Coli is a bacteria, not a parasite. You used the wrong abbreviation.)

How else would you abbreviate it? I don't think the abbreviation is wrong, but readily admit that it would have been better under the circumstances to avoid confusion and not abbreviate. E. coli is most often used for the bacterium, but I am not aware of any rule that says you cannot abbreviate the name of a protazoa. I was being lazy and assumed the context of the discussion would make the reference obvious.

Sometimes this parasite is used as a marker for one they just didn't happen to find (i.e. if you have it, you are more likely than a stranger on the street to

That's what I am finding in my reading. :/ I actually can't say that surprises me. She is my "sickly" child. Maybe this will help us get to the bottom of what is going in with her.