Menu

Droid Razr vs. iphone

Ottakee

As much as I hate to think about getting a new phone I might have to. I just hate the 2 year contracts, etc. We need to stick with verizon though as we are rural and verizon has the best cell phone coverage by far.

That all said, I was really looking at getting an iphone as my sister, brother, sister in law and mom all have one. I though got on verizon's website and did comparison and saw that the Droid Razr had a battery life 2-4 times BETTER than the iphone......at least by the comparison charts.

I hear the iphone has a much better camera but does that make it worth a much shorter battery life? I am NOT a fancy user at all. I use my phone for talking, texting, taking a few pictures, facebook,email, weather.com and solitare..........honestly, that is about it. I do google stuff, etc. but have used very few apps. I have never watched a movie on it, listened to a podcast (although I might like that option), never downloaded or listened to music, etc. Likely I am really missing out on using the phone to the fullest but I am more simple.

Has anyone really compared the 2? Is the battery life really that different? Battery life and good connections are important to me.

Any thoughts on ease of use, dependability, etc?

Which RAZR? The ones with the super long battery life are RAZR MAXXs. There's there's RAZR MAXX and RAZR HD MAXX, the latter having a better resolution screen. The HDs are near the top of the heap (for a couple more months anyway). Or are you looking at the RAZR M? It's an excellent entry level smartphone that would meet all your stated needs, but I suspect its battery life is closer to the iPhone's.

Any of them will play podcasts and do everything else on your list.

One thing: You will not get better call quality than with a Motorola phone. Period. I love almost everything about my Samsung GS3, but the call quality doesn't compare.

I love my iPhone. Have never used a Droid Razr. However, I've never had a problem with my iPhone's battery life. I charge it at night and whenever I'm home during the day and not using it. Between that and my car charger, it's just fine.

That all said, I was really looking at getting an iphone as my sister, brother, sister in law and mom all have one.

I use my phone for talking, texting, taking a few pictures, facebook,email, weather.com and solitare..........honestly, that is about it.

Since you use your phone for texting, and your family members all have iPhones, something to consider is that text messages between iPhones are free. This is something I just became aware of when I maxed out my texting plan for the month (most of my friends and family don't have iPhones). ;)

There's no comparison as far as I'm concerned. I love my iPhone and have never looked back or had issues with call clarity or battery life. However, if you're not interested in native apps, integration with other Apple devices, and based on your description of use there's nothing wrong with having a RAZR if you prefer it. OTOH, battery life comparison is based on a specific type of usage and varies a TON depending on settings (how high your brightness is, time before lock screen comes on, whether or not you're connected to WIFI or playing lots of videos, etc.)

I love my iPhone. Have never used a Droid Razr. However, I've never had a problem with my iPhone's battery life. I charge it at night and whenever I'm home during the day and not using it. Between that and my car charger, it's just fine.

Since you use your phone for texting, and your family members all have iPhones, something to consider is that text messages between iPhones are free. This is something I just became aware of when I maxed out my texting plan for the month (most of my friends and family don't have iPhones). ;)

iMessages between iPhones are free, text messages between them still count towards your allotment (at least on AT&T).

iMessages between iPhones are free, text messages between them still count towards your allotment (at least on AT&T).

I'm with AT&T as well. The iMessage vs. regular text message distinction is seamless as far as I can tell. I just went into my settings and switched iMessage to "on". That was a one-time deal and there's no difference in how I send texts to my friends with iPhones vs. those with other phones. The iPhone recognizes when you send a text message to another iPhone, and it automatically sends it as an iMessage. When it converts to an iMessage, it just counts as data usage vs. SMS/text usage (meaning it's essentially free, as the data plan usage of a text message is negligible).

OP - here's an article that provides a brief overview if you're interested: http://asia.cnet.com/faq-whats-imessage-and-how-does-it-work-62211546.htm

That imessage thing though----is that why my text messages from my mom, brother and sister often come where I have to download each message instead of the message just coming up? If so, that is a PAIN for anyone NOT using an iphone. I hate messing with their messages. as it takes much longer to read them due to waiting for them to download.

That imessage thing though----is that why my text messages from my mom, brother and sister often come where I have to download each message instead of the message just coming up? If so, that is a PAIN for anyone NOT using an iphone. I hate messing with their messages. as it takes much longer to read them due to waiting for them to download.

I have no idea what would cause that. iMessage only works between iPhones, iPads, and Macs running OSX post-Lion, so anyone not using an iPhone would get the message as a text even if the person sending it from their iPhone had iMessage turned on. The only difference on my iPhone is that the Send button and message background are blue for iMessages and text messages are green.

I'll bet that's because they're sending MMS instead of SMS. Every time I get a message sent to multiple recipients from an iPhone, it's sent as MMS and I have to tap to download. This is true if some other messages as well.

I'm with AT&T as well. The iMessage vs. regular text message distinction is seamless as far as I can tell. I just went into my settings and switched iMessage to "on". That was a one-time deal and there's no difference in how I send texts to my friends with iPhones vs. those with other phones. The iPhone recognizes when you send a text message to another iPhone, and it automatically sends it as an iMessage. When it converts to an iMessage, it just counts as data usage vs. SMS/text usage (meaning it's essentially free, as the data plan usage of a text message is negligible).

OP - here's an article that provides a brief overview if you're interested: http://asia.cnet.com...rk-62211546.htm

What I meant was that if you don't have iMessage turned on and you text to another iPhone it is counted as a text. The other iPhone user also has to have iMessage turned on or your iPhone will send the message as a text even if you have iMessage enabled on your phone. I switch sometimes in areas with WIFI but no cell service and switch back to save my data when cell service is available (I use a ton of texts/iMessages so it adds up.)

My brother said this was due to having a group conversation between iphones and I was that only non iphone person. Still a pain for me.

It is annoying.