Menu

What color would you paint an ugly built-in desk and shelves?

Blueridge

We have a very small room that has a long desk and bookshelves above it along one entire wall. It is such an ugly eyesore...I had tried antique staining it last year and made it look even worse! So now I need to paint it a nice color that will cover all the imperfections and make the room look more appealing. What color would you choose? Currently the walls are a neutral pale beige, but I could repaint them, too. We will also need to replace the carpet. Please help! I am terrible at picking colors. We hope to put this house on the market in the spring.

Wow ladies, many thanks. I had worried that white would make the room seem drab and sterile-looking, but it seems to be the winner of the tiny room nasty desk color fixer upper contest. And my color-phobic heart is now happy. :laugh: BTW...does this mean that the rest of the house should be white, too? I'll be painting most of it this spring, so it's possible. What happened to neutral shades of cream and light tan and all that jazz that some suggest for resale reasons? I am hopelessly behind the times, as usual. Tomorrow I will try to take a picture so you can see just what a mess it is. sigh

I'm all for colour on the walls with white trim, white doors, white built-in bookshelves/desks. Neutral colours if selling the house, otherwise I'm all for bold colours! I'm so tired of living in rentals where we can't paint. I don't like having all white walls (or actually all the same colour) all over the house. But of course that's just me, I'm sure you'll get opinions going the other way!