Menu

Getting a new pet after losing one?

SBMama

We had to put one of our kitties to sleep last week. She was 12, and she had a tumor in her lung, poor baby. :crying:

I am DYING to get a kitten. I know the kids would be too, but I've already told them that we aren't going to for awhile

The reasons for not getting one...

1. We have another cat who is 15. She is healthy and doing well right now. She is not very social. I'm afraid a kitten will stress her out. (She does not do well with new adult cats, so that is out of the question. I have fostered many kittens though out her life, and she does not mind them at all if they come as babies. We haven't had any kittens around here for 2+ years though...)

2. We have 3 (small) dogs, 2 of which are also 15. They are good dogs and would put up with a kitten, but I don't think they'd be thrilled.

3. My husband doesn't "think we need another cat." He is not opposed to it though. He loves animals and says he doesn't care either way.

But I still want one. I know that we have the ability to care for and love another animal that needs a home, and that makes me want to go to the shelter and pick one out right now. Maybe I'm trying to fill the void that losing our little kitty has left. She loved to snuggle, and she always sat next to me while I was on the computer. :crying: Maybe I should wait awhile and see if I still feel the same?

We adopted a kitten last year this time after one of our 12 year old cats died. Our remaining adult cat finally adjusted after a long time.

If your older cat will be stressed, I would wait until she passes, and adopt 2 bonded kittens at the same time.

Our new cat was one of three in his litter - his brother and sister got adopted together. My older cat tolerates him now but I wish he had a buddy who loved him.

We love our new cat, but looking back, we should have waited.