35 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you pay for art camp

• 0-$50
    • $50-$75
    • $75-$100
    • $100-$150
    • more than $150
    • other

Normally I expect to pay $15-$20 per class for such things BUT those are classes that are being offered as a service to homeschooling families and the teachers are making an income. However, in the event of an all-volunteer mom squad I'd simply expect to pay the cost of the supplies and any overhead expenses if renting a space is necessary.

Would depend entirely on the qualification of the teaching moms and the size of the group. Is the mom a trained artist/art historian? Are there 3 or 4 students in the group, or 20?

For our coop courses in groups of 8-10, taught by other moms, we pay $35 for 12 classes to contribute to rent of the space; the teachers are compensated for supplies only.

For private language lessons with a native speaker we pay $30 per lesson with two students. TaeKwonDo classes in larger groups are $25 per month for 4 hours/week.

We live in a relatively rural area with a fairly low average income. I wonder how well the higher priced fee (which I am all for!) would go over here. I will have to ponder that and talk with local mom's to get a better feel. My initial thought was to charge at minimum $100 but as I am calculating costs of space, supplies etc I think it will need to be higher.

I appreciate the responses so far.

We live in a relatively rural area with a fairly low average income. I wonder how well the higher priced fee (which I am all for!) would go over here. I will have to ponder that and talk with local mom's to get a better feel. My initial thought was to charge at minimum $100 but as I am calculating costs of space, supplies etc I think it will need to be higher.

I appreciate the responses so far.

That is a lot of instruction. $10-$15/hour of professional instruction in a group setting is pretty common, here. Non-professional I would not pay nearly as much. If it is cooprative and I am expected pitch in I would expect to ONLY be responsible for supplies and an equal portion of the rental fee. If I were looking at the classes for DS and it was taught by moms I would like to know what the curriculum or course is, how much of the fee is going to rent, and how much is going to supplies.

To be perfectly honest, if the fees were comparable to a locally run art studio or museum that offered classes that were taught by professionals I would go to the studio or museum before I would go to a coop taught by moms with no expertise. I am not saying the moms wouldn't do a great job but when it comes to that much money I would rather have a professional.

I agree with others, it would depend on the background/experience of the instructors. Our local art museum offers summer art camp and each session (2 to 2 1/2 hours) is $15 plus materials fees. I'm willing to pay that because the instructors are worth it, particularly those who are able to bring specialized materials and equipment that I'm not able to do at home (ceramics and a kiln, for example) and also incorporate individualized design instruction into the session, with only eight students max per class. I'd say that is also a large age range for an art class. Locally they break it down into ages 6-8 and 9-14.

If it were a large class with less experienced instructors that was tending toward crafty hands-on projects, I wouldn't be willing to pay that much. I can do that at home myself.

Another comment—having a course that met this often would make me less willing to enroll. Ideally during the week, at most I'm willing to have the kids in an outside homeschool group activity once, maybe twice if it's a fantastic opportunity. Six weeks is also a stretch for us too, but that could just be we're used to the way our local group works. Usually something is offered for just a couple weeks or a month at most. If it was broken into two or three week sessions, so you couldn't have to enroll for all of it, I'd be more likely to go for it.

Erica in OR

My dd (college age, art student) does an art camp every Summer. Camp is 4 days/ week, 45 minute lessons, at my house, all supplies included. All art; no crafts. She prepares 8 different lessons and teaches them in two week groupings. She repeats the two weeks 3-4 times over the summer, so if someone can't do both weeks in a row they can pick up the second week later in the Summer. Classes are broken up by age and babysitting is offered for a small fee (another daughter) if someone has children in more than one class. Baby Bottecellis are 3-5yo, Really Rembrandts are 6-9yo and Practically Picassos are 10+. Each week costs $30/ child and her classes are always full (6-8 kids/ class) with waiting lists.

HTH

Amber in SJ

We are paying $230 for the spring semester at a big-city museum art school, once a week for one hour and fifteen minutes. The classes are taught by artists / trained art instructors, all materials are provided, and it's multi.

I believe there are fifteen sessions, which ends up costing $15 per class. I would not pay more unless my child was receiving private instruction from a professional.

If I was going to pay for it, it would need to be more than 2 hours. I consider camp a time for them to learn something from someone else and for me to have some blissful kid-free time. 2 hours with the driving wouldn't be worth it for me. I would rather it be 5-6 hours once/week for 6 weeks. I'd pay for that. They did an art camp at a local pottery place. I think it was about $200/kid. It was 5 hours/day for 5 days. If you're doing a paid class, you might want to consider sibling discounts as well. Any place I take both kids for classes/camps offers sibling discounts.

Part of this thread got eaten, but I will reiterate that I think calling 2 hr. twice a week class a "camp" is a misnomer. I've seen this a few times and it's annoying. You get pulled in to look at the camp only to realize that it's not a camp at all. It's not even half day and it's not even all week.

I think $150 or upwards is fair for that class though. It's certainly what you would pay around here.