Menu

What do i say?!

Journey

My car needs a bunch of work done to it...to the tune of around $800 probably. $400 of that is for new tires that i MUST have since we live in an area that has icey roads and snow and i have a daughter who is learning to drive. It also needs a catalytic converter from what i've been told. As many people are, i am broke. that being said...here is my dilemma...i took my car for it's inspection (a law in this state) and it failed due to the engine light being on (which has been on for a year, something about the evap system) my mechanic, whom i really like and really trust, is going to put my car on his scanner thing and find out what exactly is the reason for the engine light...could be many things but he thinks it's the catalytic converter, which he said is about $400 to repair. I have a friend who can repair the car for a minimal amount of money. The problem that i'm having is that i have an appointment for my mechanic to scan the car tomorrow to find out the problem but i don't want him to fix it and i think he thinks he's going to. I have to go to him because i promised him i would but i didn't promise him that he would fix the car. i just asked him how much he would charge to repair them...does that sound like i am suggesting he fix it? I am so afraid to tell him that i don't want him to fix it that i have a stomach ache. what do i say to him? i don't want to pull the poor single mom story (even though that's the truth) but i also can't afford to pay him his fees either. ughhhhhh. this makes me so stressed out. help!

that's where i took it originally but their scanners are pretty basic and don't tell the whole story so to speak. i really can't cancel on him because when he first inspected the car the other day, he didn't charge me for the inspection (he turned off the engine light and told me to come back) so i can't really cancel it, that would be really mean!

I'm sure this varies from state to state, but in Texas, if a vehicle fails inspection due to emissions issues and the owner needs assistance with the money to repair it, financial assistance is available. This might this be something to explore for your situation. I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but it might be a resource worth researching.

Tell you mechanic very directly that you only want a diagnosis tomorrow. Period. I would not expect an advanced diagnosis for free. I would plan to pay for that, and instruct him that is all you want done at this point. I would not be getting an upset stomach over this! State the parameters of what you want done and that's that.

Just get it scanned and tell him you're going to have to hold off getting it fixed for now. You don't have to provide any more details than that, and I'm sure you're not the first person who couldn't afford to get repairs done at the time of diagnosis! We have a shop we really like, but I can't always afford to get things fixed right away--I don't get into details, and they don't care. I give them my business when I can (and recommend them to others), and they know that!

Tell you mechanic very directly that you only want a diagnosis tomorrow. Period. I would not expect an advanced diagnosis for free. I would plan to pay for that, and instruct him that is all you want done at this point. I would not be getting an upset stomach over this! State the parameters of what you want done and that's that.

:iagree: This is what I would do. I've done this before, in fact. You're under no obligation to have the mechanic who performs the diagnostics do the repairs.

:iagree:

I would tell him that you'll pay for his diagnostic time, but I would tell him not to fix anything until he talks to you after he does the diagnosis. When he calls with the diagnosis, I'd just tell him thank you (and pay him for that time) and that you're not going to fix it right now. We have done that with our mechanic before and have been up-front that we can't afford to pay him to do the work, so DH will do it himself.

that's where i took it originally but their scanners are pretty basic and don't tell the whole story so to speak. i really can't cancel on him because when he first inspected the car the other day, he didn't charge me for the inspection (he turned off the engine light and told me to come back) so i can't really cancel it, that would be really mean!

In my state, they don't charge for failed inspections. You don't get charged until the car passes.

i totally plan on paying him for his time. the other problem is is that my inspection is up at the end of this month so i have to get the car fixed. i think i'm just going to ask him to diagnose it and tell him i won't be able to afford his prices. sounds easy but it's hard for me because i know he needs the business and i feel like i'm wasting his time.