Menu

I always wonder which is worse: pigging out (on candy) today or spreading it out?

SKL

Am I the only one? I need to lose a little weight, but the excess Christmas candy keeps staring me down. What if I just eat the candy until it's gone, and then get back to more healthy ways? Is that better than stretching it out over a week or two?

(I'm 46, have no known health problems, and am about 5 lbs over the weight I prefer.)

:) This is intended to be a lighthearted thread!

All at once! I just read about this, but I don't remember where. Let's say you have 5 pieces of candy. If you eat one piece each day for 5 days, on the 6th day you'll crave that sweet treat, especially if you ate it around the same time each day. You'll be more likely to seek out sugar than if you just ate it on one day. If you eat it all at once, you won't be setting yourself up to begin that craving.

Now, does that justify me buying the SIX bags of Reese's peanut butter cups because they were all on Christmas clearance at Target? Probably not. :rofl:

Huh. Interesting dilemma...

From a dental and habit standpoint, I can totally see where a one-off binge would be better. From a stored energy standpoint, I would think that having a piece daily would probably be easier on the diet, though I really have nothing to back that up.

My plan is to eat my single container of Spumoni over the next few days so it's gone when I start my 30 clean diet on 1/1. That has more to do with enjoying it and not going into lactose overload, though.

I vote for relinquishing all self-control and pigging out.

I don't have any science to back this up, but it seems to me that:

a) eating it all at once will allow you to return to your generally excellent, health-conscious eating habits sooner

B) spreading it out every day will give you a sugar spike/crash every day instead of taking the hit all at once

c) by gorging yourself, you could quite possibly make yourself sick which will cause you to avoid candy for awhile - helping the waistline

d) pigging out is fun :D

ETA: I don't know why my letter b keeps getting replaced with the smiley with sunglasses - after trying to edit this post about 8 times, I'm going to give up and go have some candy.... :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I don't know why my letter b keeps getting replaced with the smiley with sunglasses - after trying to edit this post about 8 times, I'm going to give up and go have some candy.... :tongue_smilie:

I have this problem too, and it makes me crazy! If I remember, I put a space after the "b" so that doesn't happen. Looks awkward, but not as silly as an out-of-place smilie.

I vote for spreading it out and eating it with a meal. That way your blood sugar won't spike and you'll be practicing healthy eating--which includes treats sometimes.

Pigging out is dangerous if you have any heart issues--a fatty meal affects your circulatory system, making blood vessels narrower and stiffer (I am using lay language--someone medical might correct me) and for this reason your chance of a heart attack goes up somewhat after a fatty meal. I think pigging out reinforces pigging out as a behavior and is a form of denial--I'll just eat it all at once, then it will be gone! (duh!) I've done it myself. No judgment here!

If you need it to be gone, put it in the trash. There's nothing wrong with enjoying a reasonable amount and then tossing the rest.

I just read something today that said that if you have been eating way out of normal bounds, to bring it back in slowly, or you get that intense craving thing once you stop, and the cycle can restart.

I have this idea that if I eat it all at once, less of the calories will "stick." Am I right?

Haha I had the same thought. I finished up most of the junk that I enjoy, and tossed some so while there are still some treats in the house, it's nothing I am going to gourge on and hopefully my 1 hour step class and 1 hour of yoga today will help keep at least some of those calories moving!

Throw it all in the garbage can and squirt Dawn dish detergent all over it until completely covered. Problem solved. ;)

I frequently remind myself that the "waste" of throwing out junk food is much less than the "waste" of carrying around unwanted pounds and damaging my health.