Menu

I got an ice cream maker

bettyandbob

My parents didn't know what to get me so the got me that and a ice cream recipe book. I am 40 lbs overweight and have been on hard to get my dc to have healthier habits thn I develop at thir ages. So, I stared it I all day. I thought I decided o return I to williams-Sonoma and get a be food processor (mine is in bad shape). My dad would have some kind of temer tantrum about m beng unappreciative. However, I don't want something else to store. I do not need an additional small appliance (food processor would replace, so no extra storing)

Dh wants to keep it. It has an electric motor, but you have to freeze the mixing bowl ahead. Dh says we should never buy ice crem again. We can only eat hat we make. We already have a no ice cream on weekdays rule.now we will have to think and plan ahead.

Upon hearing the plan dd has asked we return the ice cream maker.

Should I return and put the money toward a food processor. It was on $70, so I'd have to add a lot,especially at that store.

Do you have enough room in your freezer that keeping the bowl there full-time wouldn't be an imposition? That makes it a lot easier and you won't start resenting the thing every time you have to shift it around to reach your frozen peas.

Maybe you can get an ice cream cookbook from the library before you decide (I'm partial to Perfect Scoop). One thing I like about having an ice cream maker is being able to come up with all sorts of weird flavors the grocery probably wouldn't have. You can also make lower-sugar and lower-fat desserts, such as chocolate sorbet.

I like mine, but I can't say I use it all that often.

I do agree with having to make all desserts and snacks from scratch. I'm convinced that a major contributor to being overweight is how convenient crappy foods are to eat. If you do not buy chips, cookies, ice cream, granola, etc., and have to make a small batch from scratch whenever you have a hankering, that can really put the kibosh on snacking. But it's a lifestyle commitment, and if it's not one you're likely to make about EVERYTHING, it's unlikely to work for you.

Keep it so you can control ingredients, and also make a barrier to just grabbing a bowl of ice cream -- it will have to be a deliberate decision to make ice cream.

Ice cream with quality ingredients can help raise your metabolism so you can burn off weight.

I guess I will keep it.

I do make most treats (and everything else) in this house. We went gluten free for celiac dx long before lots of gf junk began appearing in regular stores. I think my food is better and healthier (my base flour mix is quinoa, brown rice and garbanzo bean and very light on potato starch).

Dh has an ice cream HABIT and has passed it on to dc. A few years back it was out of control. Ice cream daily. I stopped eating it very often. But I felt the kids were getting too much, so i started the weekends only thing. Dh hated that, but went long. Dh interpreted the rule as eat as much as possible on the weekend. He was buying 4 of those not quite half gallon containers and dishing it to the kids more than once a day. Eventually, he realized this was not good. This took a couple of years. He now only gives ice cream once on Saturday and sometimes once on Sunday. I don't usually partake unless he as purchased a decent quality brand in a flavor I like. I'd like the kids to learn to be picky this way too.

Dh did comment that making I am cost us more. I'd rather eat something with high quality ingredients.

I'm not sure I want to devote freezer space to the bowl, but maybe that will workout ok.

No way old I consider doing this if dh were not on board.

I'm the only family member who has significant weight to lose. However, everyone is weightier than they should be.