Menu

Planning ahead to next xmas -homemade items

swellmomma

Those of you that primarily gave homemade items how early in the year did you start making them? If one was to make vanilla for next year when is the latest should the beans be put in the bottle so it will be ready? This year I decided on the 23rd to learn new knitting skills and knit a waffle patterned dishcloth with a coloured stripe in the middle(I only taught myself how to knit a couple months ago so this is very new still). ANd then on the 24th I made 5 bendy people dolls for dd to play with. I did not sleep much those days. I would like to be better organized for next year, I never seem to have enough hours in the day for much of anything but If I start early enough it should be fine. So if you did a nearly completely homemade xmas how early in the year did you being making things?

Wow, you were busy the last couple of days before Christmas.

I've never done it, but I have heard vanilla extract takes 3 months to mature. This site http://tidymom.net/2012/recipe-for-vanilla/ says at least 8 weeks. She also mentioned a sale on vanilla beans around October of this year. I don't know if it is an annual sale, but it would be worth checking out this October plus you would get your beans in time for next year's Christmas.

I didn't make many things this year. My final list was:

- pajama bottoms to match Broadway show t-shirts, one pair for each kid.

- pajama pants for my husband.

- personalized Christmas tree ornament for each kid.

- Muppet appliques sewn onto three polo shirts for my husband.

- personalization/theming to match stocking contents for two pairs of purchased socks.

- decorating a purchased plain pillow with a Sherlock Holmes applique (for my husband).

I also did a photo calendar for my daughter through Shutterfly, but that's not the same thing. I baked lots of mini-loaves of raisin-pecan and rosemary-olive oil breads and well as several dozen cookies to box up and hand out to teachers and friends. And my daughter and I made three fleece blankets for another family.

I didn't really kick into gear until late November this year, which is why I didn't get more done. In previous years, when we've counted on my crafting to make up more of our Christmas, I've tried to get started by the beginning of August.

I made a large quart jar of bath salts months ago. This Christmas, it easily poured into little quilted jelly jars with fabric/ribbon decor for 3 easy homemade gifts with no stress!

Unfortunately, I also have 2 works-in-process (UFOs as crafters call them, "Unfinished Objects") that have taken me too long for a Christmas gift. One project is a 4" wide granny square scarf that I need to complete for a gift next Christmas. Another is a crocheted baby blanket that I am not happy with how it is turning out... but it will be a gift for next Christmas!

I made hats and scarves for my family. I started in November. Next year I need to start sooner. Too many really late nights. :tongue_smilie:

I read your thread and thought it might be a discussion about making a list for next year and starting now gathering materials, patterns and making a plan for getting it done earlier!

Next year I want to make everyone a new hat for sure! I tried to make berets for my girlies but they didn't turn out as nice as the easy curlie edged ones for the boys.

We love making things for Christmas. A couple of years ago we made a rule that each of the kids had to make something for the other kids. Our kids are 18,14, 11, and 9 - so they are old enough to work on things themselves, but still need some help.

I start around Halloween finding ideas for them, then I start around Thanksgiving reminding them to start working on things. And usually around Dec. 20th they really get to work! It is so fun to see how excited they become about giving gifts. Our 14 year old was just DYING for the other kids to open her gifts - she kept trying to get me to let them open them on Christmas Eve.

Here's what we made this year:

John (9) made:

fleece headbands for his sisters and me - these turned out so cute!

a lunchbox for his dad

John is pretty good with the sewing machine, but I helped steer a little.

Emily (11) made:

PVC pipe bows with arrows made of dowels

the letter H made of buttons on a large fabric covered cork board

a pillow case to match her sisters bed

earrings and a necklace for me!

Emily is really crafty and loves making things. She was able to use her dad's band saw to cut the dowels and pvc pipe - that was exciting. I had to help bend the pvc - that was scary. Everything else she planned and made herself.

Sydney made:

tied fleece blankets

She made one for herself in about September and knew she was going to make them for her siblings for Christmas, but didn't actually get started on them until dec. 22. We picked out the fabric closer to Thanksgiving, but... She was the most excited about her gifts. She worked really hard to get them all done in time and wouldn't let me help at all! She was thrilled to see everyone cuddled in her blankets all day yesterday!

Hannah made:

Cute hair bows for her sisters

a neck "gator" for her brother - a strip of fleece sown into a circle for a scarf that doesn't have ends and can be pulled up over his nose on a cold day

picture frames decorated with buttons and filled with photos for her dad and i.

There are just too many fun ideas on pinterest! It is fun to plan and fun to help the kids make things. Here is what I want to do for next year:

photo albums

holiday dresses for the girls

bow ties to match for the boys

a knit throw for me!

Some hits from the past:

stilts

boxes made of wood scraps from the wood floors

pvc swords

pvc marshmallow guns

crochet wash cloths

rice filled bags for sore muscles or to warm a cold bed

finger puppets

small fabric purses

larger fabric bags for music books

hot pads

pj's

I have a pinterest board for gift ideas: http://pinterest.com/wbarrm/gifts/

I started my vanilla last February-- it was the BEST I have ever made because it 'stewed' so long! 2-3 months is just not enough time to get a rich flavor-- useable, yes, but no wow factor. I use a mix of vanilla beans-- I like to put a few Tahitian beans in with the traditional burbon (Madagascar) beans-- I get a wonderful aroma and a rich flavor.

I also made vanilla sugar (I use organic sugar crystals 'cause it is pretty and tastes better in tea/coffee than the processed white stuff). Vanilla sugar takes only a few weeks to come to full flavor.

I read Yarn Harlot's blog, and she mentions the Christmas projects she's working on year-round. It's pretty inspirational to see those little notes of "I'm knitting this sock, and then when it's finished it's going in the Christmas box." I think she makes up a spreadsheet at the beginning of the year, but I might be wrong -- I don't pay THAT much attention.

I know there was a group on Ravelry that was a year-round gift-along. I think its purpose is to provide support and cheerleading.

I had 2 major carry-around projects this year -- an amigurumi David Tennant/10th Doctor using this pattern http://snuffykin.livejournal.com/39857.html, and a knitted rat-ballerina-fairy using this pattern, but changed to have the colors of one of our rats http://www.alandart.co.uk/product/all-patterns/furry-fairiesfree/ I started these in November, and just dragged them around everywhere, particularly when I had to provide chauffeur service to dance, acting, or voice lessons. Each daughter knew I was doing something for the other, so they weren't surprised I had yarn and a pattern with me at all times.

We also did quite a bit of sewing. That started in December, when I discovered that Spoonflower.com has awesome quirky fabric for teens. If you decide to use Spoonflower.com, I'd recommend starting earlier. But, wow, we made some stuff that was way cool (Dr. Who Christmas ornaments, Tardis scarf). I could've made stacks and stacks more if I'd started in, say, August -- it takes a while to get the fabric, and then do stealth sewing.

Older dd made a bottle cap necklace for her sister. That took almost no time at all. The biggest deal was collecting the materials. She used an overlay that was instant rather than having to wait for epoxy to dry, so she made it in about 30 minutes on Christmas Eve, and most of that was spent finding the perfect picture of BBC Sherlock and Holmes to put in the bottle cap.

Is there a place we could have a year-long discussion about this? Someone want to commit to starting a thread about it monthly, sort of like the current craft thread and book-a-week thread?

I made lots of gifts this year, but in the same vane that I am no longer homeschooling, I do have a large family now and lots of gifts to get together. 5 of our grandchildren have fall birthdays too!

I usually start making lists and plans in September and I try to be done shopping by thanksgiving giving myself another month if I need it to finish projects.

This year I made ( I actually lost track) but somewhere around 2 dozen sets of PJ's, 5 maternity Tshirts, 10 kleenex holders, 4 cloth boxes ( oh, they are so cute), Mr. and Mrs, Potato head out of flannel, 4 Super Hero masks ( Thank you whoever posted that link!) and sewed together one afghan I had been making over last winter.

I also had a baby shower in December for our next Grandbaby and I made them an afghan, crocheted edge b urp cloths and hooded towels. Then someone at the shower wanted some hooded towels, so I sewed those up quick too.

I was busy, my wrists hurt from all the crochet and I think I am going to sit and work on a puzzle. :laugh:

I started my vanilla last February-- it was the BEST I have ever made because it 'stewed' so long! 2-3 months is just not enough time to get a rich flavor-- useable, yes, but no wow factor. I use a mix of vanilla beans-- I like to put a few Tahitian beans in with the traditional burbon (Madagascar) beans-- I get a wonderful aroma and a rich flavor.

I also made vanilla sugar (I use organic sugar crystals 'cause it is pretty and tastes better in tea/coffee than the processed white stuff). Vanilla sugar takes only a few weeks to come to full flavor.

I would LOVE to have your vanilla recipe.

Can any of you share photos of what you made? You all sound very creative. I attached a thumb nail of my crocheted blanket in my post above.

Mine are all pictured in my blog, which has a link in my signature. It's the 12/25/12 entry. At the current rate, that will be the most recent entry until sometime in February.

I made hats and scarves for my family. I started in November. Next year I need to start sooner. Too many really late nights. :tongue_smilie:

I read your thread and thought it might be a discussion about making a list for next year and starting now gathering materials, patterns and making a plan for getting it done earlier!

Next year I want to make everyone a new hat for sure! I tried to make berets for my girlies but they didn't turn out as nice as the easy curlie edged ones for the boys.

That is what I am hoping for. I can see will need to get started on the vanilla in the next few weeks. The rest I need to come up with plans and preparing for it because I don't want to be stuck the day before figuring it out again lol

Is there a place we could have a year-long discussion about this? Someone want to commit to starting a thread about it monthly, sort of like the current craft thread and book-a-week thread?

I will do this. I will have a post once a month that people can update, get ideas etc from .

DD6 made a birdhouse for her Pappy and started (and finished) it on Christmas Eve. Ditto for DS10's pop bottle and PVC bird feeder for Pappy.

DD6 made pot holders on a loom. She made 8, started in November and finished on Christmas Eve.

DS made the washer necklaces I've seen floating around Pinterest. He made 8 (including some larger, more manly ones for DH, DSS, and FIL). He started in December and finished on Christmas Eve.

DH made paracord bracelets for 12 people and key ring fobs for 8. He started in November and finished by December 15.

I knit 10 scarves and hats. I started in October and was finished by December 23.

Then there were the pajama pants... DH decided he was making them for everyone (instead of buying them) and bought yards and yards (and yards) of flannel. And it sat there. And sat there. And sat there. Until I could stand it no longer... So on Dec 23rd I started sewing and managed to whip out 11 pair before we opened presents on Christmas Eve. Next year I will NOT be sewing my own pajama pants on Christmas Eve. Grrrr...

Next year things will be different. Next year I will not spend Christmas Eve finishing everyone else's UFO's.

Those of you that primarily gave homemade items how early in the year did you start making them? If one was to make vanilla for next year when is the latest should the beans be put in the bottle so it will be ready? This year I decided on the 23rd to learn new knitting skills and knit a waffle patterned dishcloth with a coloured stripe in the middle(I only taught myself how to knit a couple months ago so this is very new still). ANd then on the 24th I made 5 bendy people dolls for dd to play with. I did not sleep much those days. I would like to be better organized for next year, I never seem to have enough hours in the day for much of anything but If I start early enough it should be fine. So if you did a nearly completely homemade xmas how early in the year did you being making things?

Start now. I kid you not.

Make yourself a few pinboards for the kids and start pinning ideas. Gather materials. Start making them NOW. I wouldn't wrap them, I hate forgetting what is in a box or what I already have, but tuck them away.

Always make extras.

Start scouring thrift stores for materials.

My goals for 2013 are to be DONE with all crafting by Nov1. I *hate* 2 am/ all night knit sessions. I want to be able to fully devote my time to my family during Advent. I've been on pinterest all morning planning out what I need to do for next year.

Start now. I kid you not.

Make yourself a few pinboards for the kids and start pinning ideas. Gather materials. Start making them NOW. I wouldn't wrap them, I hate forgetting what is in a box or what I already have, but tuck them away.

Always make extras.

Start scouring thrift stores for materials.

My goals for 2013 are to be DONE with all crafting by Nov1. I *hate* 2 am/ all night knit sessions. I want to be able to fully devote my time to my family during Advent. I've been on pinterest all morning planning out what I need to do for next year.

I hate late night sessions, too! If I am into a project and don't want to stop till the wee hours, that's one thing, but if I am forced to stay up late due to time pressure, I will be grumbling inside.

Love your idea of starting now. LOVE it. I have so many ideas but don't start nearly early enough to finish them. What a reduction in the stress level if I had a stash of handmade lovelies tucked away by Nov. 1st!

Btw, a good place to stash gifts is inside a suitcase on a top shelf or in a storage room. Anyway, my kids don't think to look there. Also, at the bottom of a big box or tote of yarn, fabric, or other craft goodies...unless your kids get into your craft stash.

You can hide your chocolate there as well.

My vanilla 'procedure'...

I make DH pick up a 1.75 L of Smirnoff Vodka (cheapest in glass bottle). You want 80 proof or less-- not the 'real good stuff'.

I pour a bit out of the bottle ( a few ounces- you can put this in a smaller container with a bean or two of its own...)

I split 8-12 Madagascar (flavor) beans (cut top to bottom with my kitchen scissors) and plop them into the bottle. Next I split 2-4 Tahitian (aroma) beans and and them. Put the cap back on-- shake and put on top shelf in pantry. Every week or so I shake. Repeat until next Christmas.

I like to wait at least 6 months-- but the closer to the year mark you get the better quality the vanilla. I use the amount the recipe calls for... but I like vanilla flavor!

There are lots of places online to purchase small bottles with caps (not corks)-- This year I handed out 4 oz bottles. 2 oz is also a nice gifting size.

For vanilla sugar I use 1 bean per pound of sugar crystals... split bean and submerge in sugar ( I purchase my sugar in a plastic container so I just open the top and slide them in). Shake every day or two-- ready in about 2 weeks. You will KNOW when it is ready-- it will smell heavenly-- and taste-- WONDERFUL!

For gifting I like to use little ceramic crocks I get at craft stores.

I get my Madagasgar beans from Vanilla Beans USA off of Ebay (I've used this company for several years-- always good fresh beans)-- they have the green boarder in their ads. You do not need 'gormet' quality-- the extract grade is fine unless you want to try a fancy desert with some of the extras!

This year I got my Tahitian beans off of Amazon... I can't remember who from....but I only needed 10 or so.

The kids' rag quilts were done this summer, but mostly because I had to plan it that way to get them done when they weren't home for a chunk of time. I did them when they were visiting my IL's and when they were visiting my mom. The doll dresses? Well, if I had known I was going to make them, I probably would have started this summer. Since DD asked me at the very end of October, I had to rush making them. Ideally, I like to have things done by early autumn.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain how you do it. I am definitely giving this a try.

My vanilla 'procedure'...

I make DH pick up a 1.75 L of Smirnoff Vodka (cheapest in glass bottle). You want 80 proof or less-- not the 'real good stuff'.

I pour a bit out of the bottle ( a few ounces- you can put this in a smaller container with a bean or two of its own...)

I split 8-12 Madagascar (flavor) beans (cut top to bottom with my kitchen scissors) and plop them into the bottle. Next I split 2-4 Tahitian (aroma) beans and and them. Put the cap back on-- shake and put on top shelf in pantry. Every week or so I shake. Repeat until next Christmas.

I like to wait at least 6 months-- but the closer to the year mark you get the better quality the vanilla. I use the amount the recipe calls for... but I like vanilla flavor!

There are lots of places online to purchase small bottles with caps (not corks)-- This year I handed out 4 oz bottles. 2 oz is also a nice gifting size.

For vanilla sugar I use 1 bean per pound of sugar crystals... split bean and submerge in sugar ( I purchase my sugar in a plastic container so I just open the top and slide them in). Shake every day or two-- ready in about 2 weeks. You will KNOW when it is ready-- it will smell heavenly-- and taste-- WONDERFUL!

For gifting I like to use little ceramic crocks I get at craft stores.

I get my Madagasgar beans from Vanilla Beans USA off of Ebay (I've used this company for several years-- always good fresh beans)-- they have the green boarder in their ads. You do not need 'gormet' quality-- the extract grade is fine unless you want to try a fancy desert with some of the extras!

This year I got my Tahitian beans off of Amazon... I can't remember who from....but I only needed 10 or so.

One more vanilla question. I you are making it with that 1.75L of vodka how many gift sized bottles did you get out of it? Need to figure out how many beans I need to buy

I filled at least 14 4oz bottles with one of my 1.75L bottles. I had some left over that I added to MY own bottle.

The 4 oz bottle is pretty good sized-- no complaints from the people who received them though!

I tied a ribbon around the 'neck' and printed out labels (I used self-adhesive address labels)

My labels said " Homemade Vanilla, Bottled with love From the Perkins family 2012" in a pretty script with a flourish.

These are great ideas!

We didn't make too much this year but I hope to for next year. One thing we did do for my mom though was hand print hand towels. I got 6 towels and had the kids do a picture out of their handprint in fabric paint. The was a santa, a turkey, a pumpkin, a heart, a flower, and a flag. They can been changed out for each season/holiday and remind her of them. She loved them.

I am making coasters for my mom right now because we are having Christmas this weekend. Take the cheap bathroom tiles, and modge modge or use lamination glue to cover pictures on the tiles. I also put cork on the bottom. Easy! It does take a couple of days to be sure the 2-3 coats are set.

I want to make vanilla and vanilla sugar for next year, O will need two big bottles to get my whole family and have some left for me :)

I start planning for handmade Christmas gifts around August and try to get started in September. My general rule is to plan twice as much time as it would usually take to make a particular item. That way I'm not often rushing around. :) I also don't want to start too early since a lot of my knitting is for my kids and nephews and I like the new knits to actually fit them when they're gifted.

This year my handmades were all knitted: 3 hats, 2 pairs of kid-sized mittens, a cowl, 1 pair of Norwegian mittens, and a baby cardigan. Other years I've done other crafty things, but knitting is my go-to gift.

Well I decided to get started already. I have been going through my cross stitch stuff to decide if I will keep or give away the various kits/patterns/floss. I found a kit for an ornament so I started it in between decluttering/cleaning here. I am nearly done. Since I give each of the kids a new ornament each year this will get put into the gift pile for next year for one of them. So there we go, not even new year's yet and almost done the first of next year's gifts lol Given that I do usually only have a few minutes to grab here and there, I am sure I will be working on things every month to get it all done. My goal is to have a nearly 100% homemade xmas next year.