Menu

Not an ideal Christmas. Ugh.

Jen in PA

The kids got new bikes, Dh went back to sleep after everything was opened, and I let the kids go out on their new bikes.... I knew the tires were flattish, but I figured they were just going around the block to check things out (our regular bike pump is broken, and I couldn't find the other one when I looked quickly). I figured it couldn't do any harm, they would just come home quickly..... DH woke up before they got home and was furious -- I guess they could have seriously damaged the bikes. I didn't know, he called them home, I apologized profusely to him/them. The bikes look ok, but Dh isn't speaking to me and I spent most of today miserable and trying to keep the kids from seeing that I was crying. We went from a great Christmas to a cruddy one in just a matter of minutes. Ugh, I need a do-over on today.

Your dh should have been more gracious, for sure! Did he tell you ahead of time that flat tires could have ruined the bikes? If he told you, and you ignored him, then sure, I can understand reaction. But if you didn't know any better, then he was out of line.

I'm so sorry. He over-reacted. I would have been mad that he went back to bed. Not bashing, just saying that the blame would be shared. My part for letting them out riding, dh for not properly inflating the gift and hanging around to make sure the bikes worked okay. I don't know anything about bikes.

I hope your night is better. Big hugs to you!

:grouphug:

I am sorry he overreacted like that

I hate when the mood changes on a dime like that. It did here too. I was having a great time since getting to the city yesterday, then my sister showed up. WIthin minutes my nephew had whipped dd5 across teh top of her hand with one of those candy canes filled with jelly beans. I bruised instantly and puffed up, bil says "well it's the first time in 4.5 years he has ever hit anyone, ever kids deserves a break" Give me a break, that kid has hit mine many times just never so hard. Kid did not get in trouble at all, I was too busy comforting dd to deal with him myself.

THen about 20 minutes later dd13 and I were wrestling around and twice my sister called me abusive, then dd kicked the table leg and hurt her ankle and sister tells me to get away from my dd and stop abusing her. She did not say this in a joking manner, she was dead serious. Well my mom hears this and comes running over to get inbetween me and dd while I was checking if dd was okay telling me to stop hurting her. So what had been a fun time and me and dd playing like we do turned into something much worse.

I managed to eat my dinner (2 servings) in 17 minutes and have been in the den knitting and talking online ever since to stop from starting WW3 and ruining xmas for my kids.

I hope that your dh comes to his senses and apologizes for his overreaction, and that you can get a new bike tire tomorrow to pump the tires so the kids could ride properly. It sounds like you are being a great mom keeping things happy for the kids.

Right there with you; I'm so sorry! Someone in my household acted like a jerk yesterday, too. By the time we got to the fun in the evening (I cooked a lot, and I don't enjoy cooking), I was too tired to hold my head up, and although we had a game night, I was pretty out of it.

Hugs, and hoping you all can talk things through and that he apologizes (and means it!)

I think the worst part of these problems over the holidays is the PRESSURE we feel to create this warm, lovely, memorable time. Then someone comes along and blows it all up, and of course we feel it more acutely because of the way we envisioned things would be.

To the OP, I can relate. It sucks, and I'm sorry.