Menu

I really wish I could sleep. I am so tired.

Sahamamama

It's Christmas Eve -- well, actually it is now Christmas Day -- and the whole household is soundly sleeping. I have this congestion and cough that will NOT stop. If I sit up, it's calmer. As soon as I lie down, cough, cough, gag. Cough, cough, gag. That is more exhausting than sitting up!

I'm feeling sorry for myself. I'd really like to sleep. I've taken decongestant and put on Vicks (vapor rub). The humidifier is running. I've had Throat Tamer tea and lots of water all day. I've had throat drops. I can't think of anything else to do....

Ideas?

The only thing that works for me when this happens is hylands cough syrup with honey. I am sure it's at least partly the placebo effect, but it works for me. Also, I say the Jesus prayer (Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner) over and over slowly while trying to breathe slowly along with it and not cough. It too helps. Again, partly the psychological comfort that's relaxing, but I'm praying and not coughing, so it's all good. ;)

I'm so sorry! I've had the horrible fever/cough as well, and just the last couple of nights I've finally been able to sleep well again.

Can you sleep in a recliner? Or I've also just elevated by head by folding up a blanket and putting it under my pillow.

I also sometimes sleep with a small piece of cough drop in my mouth. Not enough to choke on, just enough to keep me from coughing.

Hope you can sleep soon. I know how miserable it is!

I had this a few days ago.

It helped to gargle with saline water. Drink plenty of water - I squeezed a slice of fresh lemon, this helped me to decongest, (or have hot water with ginger, cinnamon/ cloves, & lemon squeezed in).

Have ginger teas - peel a cube ginger add in boiling water, take it out later, after adding milk/honey I also add a pinch of black pepper.

These teas helps get rid of sore throat, cough and sickness.

A healthy diet without refined sugar!

Keep hydrated & plenty of rest.

Best Wishes

Oh, by this time I hope you are feeling better! That is a miserable feeling.

You said you applied Vic's, but where? The best trick is to rub it all over the soles of your feet and then cover them with socks. Sounds crazy but it works. I don't know why, but it does.

I used to have a big bottle of cough syrup with codeine in it that a doctor once prescribed for me. For some reason the Rx was for a huge bottle. That stuff worked like a charm.

I had this a few days ago.

It helped to gargle with saline water. Drink plenty of water - I squeezed a slice of fresh lemon, this helped me to decongest, (or have hot water with ginger, cinnamon/ cloves, & lemon squeezed in).

Have ginger teas - peel a cube ginger add in boiling water, take it out later, after adding milk/honey I also add a pinch of black pepper.

These teas helps get rid of sore throat, cough and sickness.

A healthy diet without refined sugar!

Keep hydrated & plenty of rest.

Best Wishes

My in-laws are Egyptian and this is what they recommended!

Thanks for the tips to everyone who posted. We are out of all medication and all out of honey, but have ginger tea, lemons, cinnamon, cloves, and plenty of chamomile and mint teas.

I slept about 3 hours last night, finally, when the cough settled down enough. It's not too bad today if I don't talk. :)