Menu

Help! Vegan question-what to make for food??

This may seem early, but I'm stressing over my sister coming out for Christmas who is a vegan. There will be her and 9 meat eaters. I'm not sure what to fix her. She said not to worry about it, but I want to be able to offer something for her to eat. On Christmas, I usually make tacos and have lots of snack/finger foods to eat. It's just easier than making a big meal. I have lots of dips/chips, etc. Any ideas of something I could make that would be good snack food besides the usual veggie tray? I'm wondering about some good dips that a vegan would eat.

Also, any meal ideas that would be good to make? I have no clue about being a vegan!!

Thanks!

Hummus?

For the tacos, you could offer black beans and rice and lots of veggie toppings. (I'm not sure if commercial taco shells are vegan-friendly. You could ask her about that.)

My vegan friend had a great pumpkin muffin recipe that used soy milk. (You could make it ahead and freeze, then pull it out when your sister is here.)

Hey -

Taco's can easily be vegan friendly :) She can omit the meat or you can make veggie "crumbles" for her. They sell them in the freezer section of most grocery stores these days and you just cook them with the same spices you would ground beef.

If you have a Whole Foods type store near you, you can even buy mock sour cream, and other things like whipped cream, cream cheese etc. if you would like to make her a special dessert.

You can also buy all sorts of vegan goodies at this store online:

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=vegane&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=850383937&Count2=767524361&CategoryID=1&Target=products.asp

And if you would like other recipes you can find a TON on the internet - one good source is vegweb.com, they rate the recipes. You can also type in Vegan at allrecipes.com and some things will come up.

If you are looking for something specific I have a ton of vegan cookbooks, I can share recipes.

-Fawn

My husband is vegetarian (not completely vegan, but nearly). I make a crab dip that's really yummy and just substitute tofu for crab, then serve with crackers (ritz is what we use). It's super easy and everybody loves it. I will get the recipe posted by the end of the day.

Another appetizer type thing we do is artichoke dip/triscuits. Artichoke dip is:

-1 C. (1 can) Artichoke hearts -- you can cut them smaller if they are bigger than bite size.

-1 C. grated parmesan cheese (you can use soy cheese, but I have never done this)

-1 C. real mayonnaise -- we use Hellman's (again, use soy mayo)

optional: add spinach (I'm thinking 1 C. in keeping with the rest of the recipe).

She's probably telling you the truth -- she doesn't want you to worry overly about her. *Most* people with specialized diets are used to working around others and try not to make other people figure out how to serve them.

Definitely have some beans on the side for your taco bar. If there are tacos/tortillas, beans, lettuce, tomato, onion, she should be fine. If you want, have some shredded carrots available too -- vegans often throw them on a taco in lieu of shredded cheese. :)

Hummus, salsa or pico de gallo, pinto bean dip (blend pintos with onion, garlic, chile powder, a little lemon juice) are all good choices to serve alongside chips and raw veggies.

If she'll be staying with you for a few days, you could have sandwich makings on hand for her. I'd have whole grain bread, a nut butter (ask her her favorite!), hummus, lettuce, tomato and avocado around. Also keep some fresh fruit around. That way regardless of what everyone else is eating, she'll always have an option.

I'll try to post some recipes for whole meals later today -- but right now, I've gotta feed my own kids before they rebel! :)

• a mound of vegan cream cheese with jalepeno pepper jelly and crackers for dipping (if you can get Better than Cream Cheese, it really is)
  • hummus
  • white bean dip or mexi multi bean dip
  • pasta salad
  • guacamole
  • fruit
  • tossed salad with oil & vinegar dressing

Here's a list of acceptable foods

Hummus, for dipping vegetables, crackers, pita bread

Tortilla chips and salsa, guacamole (no mayo or sour cream)

Many of the cookies like Oreos are ok now as long as there are no mono or triglycerides (why, I don't know)

Canned tomatoes, black beans, chili beans, kidney beans, and corn make great chili. Get Fritos to dip in chili.

Bottled spaghetti sauce, spaghetti

Earth Balance margarine is vegan, peanut butter is fine, natural with the oil separation is best, Smucker's Simply Fruit Jam

Breads, you have to really check the labels, San Luis sour dough, cracked wheat is good, many they won't eat

In the frozen foods section look for Amy's meals some are vegetarian and some are vegan, Shepherd's Pie is good and the black bean burrito with no cheese, Vegan Boca burgers

I make a really good Chinese "Chicken" Salad and use already baked tofu, romaine lettuce, packaged wontons for salads, slivered almonds, red bell pepper, red onion, and Marie's Sesame Ginger bottled dressing.

You can make a stir fry with vegetables, Chinese seasonings, tofu, and serve with steamed rice and chow mein noodles.

Here's a good Mexican Black Bean Salad from Weight-watcher's: 1 can black beans, rinsed, drained; 2 tbs. minced red onion; 1 garlic clove, minced; 1/2 cup corn kernals; 1/2 cup grape tomatoes; 4 tbs. canned green chili peppers; 3 tbs. lime juice; 2 tbs. cilantro; 1 tbs. olive oil; 1 tsp. cumin; 1/4 tsp. salt. Combine all ingredients and serve over warm corn tortillas.

This will get you started. I also have recipe that works for vegan cupcakes with fluffy frosting that is pretty long that I could send you by email. Last Thanksgiving I made stuffed squash for 3 vegans that I will send you too. I actually have them on my computer so I will copy and paste those.

Have fun with your daughter!

Laurie in CA

dd(14) TOG and other stuff

Vegan Cupcakes

1 cup soy milk

1 tsp. apple cider vinegar

3/4 cup sugar

1/3 cup canola oil

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 tsp. almond or chocolate extract

1 cup flour

1/3 cup cocoa powder

3/4 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

Whisk together soy milk and vinegar; set aside until milk curdles. Add sugar, oil,vanilla, and other extracts to soy milk and beat until foamy. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add in 2 batches to wet ingredients and beat until no lumps. Pour into baking cups and bake 18-20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Frosting For Vegan Cupcakes

1/2 cup nonhydrogenated shortening

1/2 cup Earth Balance

3 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/4 cup plain soy milk

Beat shortening and margarine tog. until fluffy. Add sugar and beat for 3 more minutes. Add vanilla and soy milk and beat 5-7 minutes.

Winter Squash With Wild Grains

1/2 cup barley, add salt

1/2 cup wild rice

4 cups herbed bread stuffing cubes

1 large winter squash

2 tsb. canola oil

2 leeks, white & light green parts only

sliced thin

1 medium onion, chopped

3 shallots, minced

3 medium portabello mushrooms, caps

only, sliced

1 cup chopped cooked chestnuts

1 cup chopped cranberries

1 navel orange, peeled, chopped

1 tsp. orange zest

1/4 cup vegetable broth

1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley

Directions for Stuffed Squash

1. Bring 1 1/2 cups water to boil. Add barley and salt to taste. Reduce heat to low, cover, cook until tender, about 40 minutes. Cook wild rice in 1 1/2 cups waterthe same. Put cooked barley and rice in bowl with bread cubes.

2. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut off top of squash, scoop out seeds/pulp.

3. Heat oil in skillet. Add leeks, onions and shallots; saute until translucent, 3-4 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until any liquid evaporates. Add vegetables to grains and mix.

4. Add chestnuts, cranberries, orange and zest. Moisten with broth. Mix in parsley and season with salt.

5. Pack as much stuffing as possible into squash. Cover with foil tent. Bake 1 hour.

Remove foil and bake 20 minutes until knife pierces easily. Let set 15 minutes, cut into wedges and serve.

This may seem early, but I'm stressing over my sister coming out for Christmas who is a vegan. There will be her and 9 meat eaters. I'm not sure what to fix her. She said not to worry about it, but I want to be able to offer something for her to eat. On Christmas, I usually make tacos and have lots of snack/finger foods to eat. It's just easier than making a big meal. I have lots of dips/chips, etc. Any ideas of something I could make that would be good snack food besides the usual veggie tray? I'm wondering about some good dips that a vegan would eat.

Also, any meal ideas that would be good to make? I have no clue about being a vegan!!

Thanks!

Make up some black beans and salsa type stuff she can have in her taco with all the normal fixings. Perfect vegan meal. Just get some soy or rice based cheese if you can.

Be careful of the veggie crumbles--I'm vegetarian, but I'm not sure they are vegan. Tofu works really well too. They also have a tofutti sour cream, and, of course, cheese. But, before you spend a ton of time and a fortune, talk with her seriously. I know that, as a vegetarian, while I do want to have enough to eat, I don't like people going to a huge expense and amount of fuss for me, and it is so much more work for a vegan!

Tell her what you normally make, or, better yet, email her your normal menu, so that she can see it and think about it. Maybe tell her what you have come up with to get for her, so she knows, 1) you have put thought into it, & 2) if she doesn't help you, you're going to huge expense and effort, & I bet she'll give you honest, helpful suggestions. If she offers to bring something she can eat, let her. I know I would feel better bringing a thing or two.

It is not comforting putting out your hosts just because you have a different lifestyle than everyone else they have invited. Give her the option of assisting if she offers.

We are vegans and we eat what our hosts serve. That is the polite way of doing things. Meat means prosperity and generosity in some of the cultures we deal with, and to turn it down would be very improper. In Jamaican culture, meat is in EVERY dish.

If you have a medical problem and must eat a certain way, bring a dish to the party that you can eat.

We are vegans and we eat what our hosts serve. That is the polite way of doing things. Meat means prosperity and generosity in some of the cultures we deal with, and to turn it down would be very improper. In Jamaican culture, meat is in EVERY dish.

This makes it sound like being vegan is an etiquette issue and that those who don't compromise their beliefs are rude. In our family, veganism is a moral issue, and there are certainly polite ways to adhere to one's convictions. Informing the host ahead of time of our diet and offering to bring some vegan dishes with us is the path we choose. We don't consume animal flesh and byproducts just to be polite.

OP, I would suggest checking out recipes at ChooseVeg and at Compassion Over Killing. You will find many tasty recipes that are easy to make. I also have a fantastic vegan brownie recipe that I can send you if you are interested. I think tacos are an excellent idea. When we do tacos, we usually season some rice with taco sauce and make bean-and-rice tacos. In place of soy cheese substitutes (my daughter can't have soy) we use guacamole and fresh salsa or pico de gallo.

Thanks for thinking ahead and caring about your sister's dietary choices! :thumbup:

Tara

We are vegans and we eat what our hosts serve. That is the polite way of doing things.
None of the vegans I know would knowingly eat an animal product, and they go to great lengths to avoid using any when at all possible (e.g. it's impossible to find vegan sandpaper... the glue isn't vegan). It is anathema to who they are.

Hummus is always good. But you know, regular tortilla chips and salsa are already vegan (be sure to read the ingredients in case one particular brand isn't). There is an awesome book called Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World which has recipes even the meat-eaters will love. Or just google vegan recipes; there are so many wonderful foods out there that are vegan. I love pudding made by putting silken tofu in the blender with cocoa, sugar and vanilla. Yum. And I'm a confirmed tofu-hater. It's truly good.