Menu

Do you have many duplicate names in your extended family?

Ottakee

My side isn't bad but dh's is pretty bad.

His mother's maiden name was Williams and her and 3 of his sisters all married guys named William and they all 4 had sons they named William so we have her brothers all with the last name of Williams, 4 Uncles Bills and 4 Billies or Bill Jrs. Then there is Louie, Little Louie and our son Louis.

My son's bio dad is named Louis and our son was a Louis Jr in bio family BUT he also has an older brother who is named Louis who is also Louis Jr........yes, bio dad named 2 of his sons Louis Jr.

Friends of mine have all 3 sisters married to guys named Eric and one has a son Eric.....who is now engaged to Emily (same name as his sister).

Just wondering how common this is?

we have some on dh's side. sil married a guy with fil's and nephew's name. nephew married a girl with a very close variation of mine - they named their first son the same as one of dudeling middle names (the one I wanted to be his first name).

dd dated a guy with the same name as her cousin's dh ..

and so it goes.

My husband is Jeremy or Jerry for short. Sil's current husband is Jerry too. Both SIL and MIL married men with the same last name. My son and my cousin's dd are both named something with the same nickname. Every family gathering both children come running when someone calls for "Joe". Another odd thing in my family is that 90% of the girls have the middle name Marie. Apparently it goes with everything, sorta like a little black dress. As for my DH's family, the letter J is popular for names.

None. At all. Whatsoever. On either side. Is that weird? When I read the OP, I thought "Well, obviously most people would make an effort not to use a name that is already taken by someone else in the family when naming their children, unless they're doing Jr.". So, I assumed duplication wouldn't be that common. I never considered family by marriage just happening to share a name. Oh, I take that back, I have 2 Aunt Sues (by marriage). Yeah, that's it.

My side isn't bad but dh's is pretty bad.

His mother's maiden name was Williams and her and 3 of his sisters all married guys named William and they all 4 had sons they named William so we have her brothers all with the last name of Williams, 4 Uncles Bills and 4 Billies or Bill Jrs. Then there is Louie, Little Louie and our son Louis.

My son's bio dad is named Louis and our son was a Louis Jr in bio family BUT he also has an older brother who is named Louis who is also Louis Jr........yes, bio dad named 2 of his sons Louis Jr.

Friends of mine have all 3 sisters married to guys named Eric and one has a son Eric.....who is now engaged to Emily (same name as his sister).

Just wondering how common this is?

I'm William, my son is William, both his Grandfathers are William.

My mother is Carol, my wife is Carole, my cousin is Carroll, my Uncle is Carroll, and my Grandfather was Carroll.

Bill

We have many duplicate names in my family. My two uncles are both named Thomas and my brother shares the name. My Grandfather was named Roy, and it was given to my mom as a middle name. Many, many children (both boys and girls) were named after them, and the name now pops up in names all over my extended family. My mom and I share a first name, and my daughter's middle name is also the middle name of my niece.

There aren't many duplicates in my family. We did have "Big John" and "Little Jon" for a while, but when they became "Old John" and "Big Jon" we switched to John and Jon Lastname.

A friend of mine and her sister both married men named Dan with fathers named John so that is definitely confusing sometimes!

The best I know was my high school best friend's family -- his dad had 3 brothers and of the 4 boys, 3 of them married Michelles. So all of them were Michelle D____. I always wondered if the last of those SIL's feared that she was being proposed to just because the guy felt he should marry a Michelle.

My oldest son and my husband's cousin are both Peter, but they don't have the same last name. He lived half a country away when our Peter was born but shortly thereafter, moved back to town and lived with my SIL for awhile. Suddenly we had to deal with the matchy names when we thought it would be a non-issue. He didn't like being called Big Peter but now they're mostly Pete vs Peter. We did realize we should avoid all variations of his siblings' names for our future kids.

It used to be a big deal to try to not name cousins the same name.

But. I have a brother named Chris. A year after he was born, my aunt and uncle adopted a year old baby named Chris. So, two Chris', with birthdays two months apart.

They grew up great friends, and now no one cares about names. :)

We have no names carried on as a 'named after' senerio but we do have a few repeats.

Within 3 generations we have a:

Kris

Chris (Christopher)

Chris (Christine)

Christiana

In the same generation:

Lynn-- woman

Len-- man

In the same generation:

Sheryl

Cheryl

We have several. I have the same first name as my mom and mil, but we all have different nicknames that we go by. My kids all have first names that don't duplicate any family names, but I gave them all middle names that do match other family members (my dad which is also his dad's name, my mom's dad which also happens to be dh's brother's name, my mom and mil and my name for dd, and my dh's other brother for the youngest).

In our extended family there is a bit more name duplication. On my mom's side they had a skip the generations thing going with first-born sons. So grandpa was John, his son was Timothy, his son was John, and his son was Timothy. Just to further confuse things, the first Tim (my uncle) named his second son Timothy also. Then there's the crazy name-reproduction-with-different-spellings thing they did with the females. My grandma was Rosaline (spelled the British way from what I understand), her daughter was Rosaleen (because she and John are Irish, so they wanted to spell their child's name the Irish way - don't ask me why grandma's parents spelled her name the British way). She then wanted to name her daughter after her mom, so she named her Rosaline, who went on to name her daughter after her mom, Rosaleen. The first Rosaleen, my aunt, had other daughters (six in all), and one of them also named her daughter Rosaleen also after her mother. You really need to see the family tree to get the full picture.

On dh's side things aren't nearly so confusing. He does have one brother Michael who named his son Michael (the older is Mike, the younger Mikey) and another brother Theodore who named his son Theodore (the older is Ted, the younger Teddy). That's all I know of for name duplicates on their side, but dh doesn't know any of his aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.

One uncle ended up marrying a woman with my middle name, then my other uncle married a woman with my first name! Both were coincidences.

My father and my mother's brother also have the same name. And my mother's father and my father's brother also have the same first name. Also coincidence!

My father himself is a "junior."

Baby #3 will have the same name of two of my cousin's husbands. But I've never even met one, and the other I met for all of 30 min, so it doesn't really seem "weird."

Yes, and it all pretty much started with my dad. Or maybe his grandfather (who I never knew). So...

Great-grandfather Robert

my Dad - Robert

his nephew - called Bobby, but named after my dad (by a sister his was very close to)

my brother - Robert (named after my dad, of course)

my son - Robert (named after my dad, got my brother's permission to use it)

my sister's husband - called Bob, but named Robert (not after anybody in our family, of course)

Not as bad as your family, but still makes for some confusion at familly gatherings.

My daughter is Ruth-named after my paternal grandmother (deceased). My mother's name is Ruth as well. We call my dd Ruthie, usually. It doesn't cause much confusion since there is a generation gap. They are the only ones I can think of.

I have a Ruthie, as well. She's named after DH's beloved Granny, who passed away before we ever met.

Surprisingly few considering we both come from big Mormon families :D I can only think of a few duplicates and they aren't people who would cross paths frequently, if ever.

We also come from big Mormon families. My family has no duplicates, but dh's family has a thing for the name John. John Matthew, John Thomas (they call the kids by both names together), John as a middle name, etc.

I don't like duplicates. I really loved the name Milo for DS, but I have a cousin who named her boy Milo, so I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

• 2 months later...

Well my oldest son is the 5th generation with his name (my great grandfather, and grandfather had it as a first name, my father and brother have it as a middle name, and then my son). He is also the 4th generation from his fathers side to have his middle names.

My brother married a girl with the exact (as in both first and middle names) the same as my sister. The joke is our Tracy B. got married and turned into Tracy T so my brother got himself another Tracy B. We call my sister Tracy and my sil Tracy Lynn to keep them sorted.

If my gramma had lived to meet my kids then there would have been 2 Joyce's as my daughter was named for her (though my dd has it as a middle name)

Hmmm, I think that is it. All my grandparents are dead, I rarely see my cousins/aunts/uncles and I come from a small family, and I don't know my ex's side much so there could be more and I just wouldn't know it.

On James Bond's side, his dad is a Sr (he goes by his first name), his oldest brother a Jr (he goes by the middle name)' and his son a III (he does a hyphenated version of both names). JB's second brother is a Sr, and his son a Jr.

I have no siblings, but my mom has a huge family. Indy's first name is my mom's maiden name. There are at least 7 other people in the family who used the name, but they all used it as a middle name, so Indy is the only one who actually uses it. Han Solo's middle name is my great- grandfather's first name and there is one other who used it, also as a middle name.

Uncommon in my family to have the same first names--it's just not done--though middle names are often passed down. Same names because of marriage is a different thing but interestingly enough we don't have any of those either. I have only one cousin that's a Jr.

Dh's family is much smaller; they don't re-use names either. But his sister married into a family where you *must* name your kid the name of a relative for the first name and then a family name for the middle name. That's their tradition.

I have cousins both named Chris. They are brothers, and yes, they go by Big Chris and Little Chris. (I think that one is Christian and the other a Christopher, but everyone knows them as Big Chris and Little Chris.)

There are a ton of Johns in the family. A greatly loved, Great Uncle was named John, so many boys in my dads side of the family have been named John.

We have a lot of Mikes. Both me and my children have an Uncle Mike. Then there's a cousin Mike who is actually my mom's age. Uncle Toms abound too. And I think there is more than one Katie/Kate. Among relatives that are no longer with us, there is a set of brothers that both married a Betty. They ended up Betty A (married to Art) and Betty (married to Bob) I have an uncle who has a sister named Pam and married a Pam.

I have a friend who married a Gary. Then about 5 years later her sister married a Gary.

I think that's it.

Lots of duplicated middle names, but not many first names.

Glad I checked the thread because ai would have made almost this same post again!

My family is big into naming babies after other people, but mostly middle names. Eldest dd has my middle name, which is my mom's middle name and her grandmother's name. My second-born sister's name is a take-off on my aunt's name. My third born sister has the same middle name as my dad's mom. my youngest sister has the same middle name as my mom's mom.

My middle dd has the same middle name as my MIL. My youngest has the same middle name as his dad's first name. One of my nieces has the same middle name as my mom (so as me and eldest), the other has the same first name as my dad's mom and the same middle name as my mom's mom.

My dad is a "the third" though.

I have a nephew (6 months younger than my DS) who has almost the exact same name as my DS. They share the same first and last name, and their middle names are very similar (think Johnson and Jonathan). We had our reasons for picking the name, and I guess my BIL and SIL had theirs. When we are together, we call the boys their first and middle names.

DS's younger brother has a name that is common in a more distant branch of the family, but we see them maybe once or twice a year, so there isn't any confusion there.

Not too much going on on my side of the family. My father has his father's name, just reversed. My father's first name is also my maternal grandfather's middle name, just spelled differently. My brother has my father's middle name as his middle name.

My husband is a 2nd, and one of his middle names is his grandfather's first, and his second middle name is his father's middle. We do not plan to carry on his first name, but we will be using his grandfather's first name as a middle.

Glad I checked the thread because ai would have made almost this same post again!

My family is big into naming babies after other people, but mostly middle names. Eldest dd has my middle name, which is my mom's middle name and her grandmother's name. My second-born sister's name is a take-off on my aunt's name. My third born sister has the same middle name as my dad's mom. my youngest sister has the same middle name as my mom's mom.

My middle dd has the same middle name as my MIL. My youngest has the same middle name as his dad's first name. One of my nieces has the same middle name as my mom (so as me and eldest), the other has the same first name as my dad's mom and the same middle name as my mom's mom.

My dad is a "the third" though.

My family is this way as well. My grandmother was given a family name that was then used as a middle name for the next three generations and the situation is the same for the men in that line. Three generations of DH's family have the same first name with the elder going but the name while the following generations go by thier middle names.

All three of our children are carrying family names. In our family passing along a name is considered a way to honor the older generations.

I have loved the name we gave our oldest from the time I was a child. My dh had a niece with the same name. We asked her parents if they would mind us naming our daughter the same. They didn't. The decision was pretty easy wife they live an ocean away and our paths never cross. I would feel differently if it was a cousin who lived nearby.

Considering how small our extended family is? lots and lots

I share a name with my SIL, and my cousin's wife.

Our cousin has a daughter that is the same name as my sister (And if she'd been a boy he'd have had the same name as two of my sister's sons)

A cousin is married to a man the same name as my sister's son

A cousin on one side shares a name with a cousin on the other side

We named our daughter after my mom, his grandmother, an aunt on another side, the middle name of another great-aunt...

Etc.