Menu

Our newest strategy game additions

One of our family traditions is to get new strategy games the week before Christmas. This yr we got 4 new ones and the kids seem to like them all. (Our life is incredibly hectic right now, so I haven't actually had a chance to play.)

Top fav is Dominion

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_4?url=search-alias%3Dtoys-and-games&field-keywords=dominion&sprefix=Domi%2Caps%2C438

Next..... 7 Wonders

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_2?url=search-alias%3Dtoys-and-games&field-keywords=7+wonders+board+game&sprefix=7+%2Ctoys-and-games%2C297&rh=n%3A165793011%2Ck%3A7+wonders+board+game

Celtic challenge (a simple game for younger kids to play.)

http://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Challenge-Chance-Strategy-Game/dp/B003VOV1GY/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1356289588&sr=1-1&keywords=celtic+challenge+game

Tsuro

http://www.amazon.com/Calliope-Games-CLP-021-Tsuro/dp/B002SQBB3O/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1356289709&sr=1-1&keywords=tsuro+board+game

I've posted many times about the value I see in playing strategy games for cognitive development.....not to mention how much I simply enjoy playing them with my kids.

Anyone else have new favorites?

We like games too. Games new to us (not all are strategy-based) this year that we've played so far and enjoyed:

- Tsuro of the Seas (added twist of sea monsters, or, play without the sea monsters and it is the regular Tsuro)

- Ticket to Ride: Europe (accumulate most points for laying track to claim train ticket points)

- Settlers of Catan (strategy)

- a version of Fluxx (no strategy -- just barely contained chaos -- esp. fun for a big group of teens/early 20s!)

- Monopoly Millionaire Deal card game (fast-paced cross between Mille Bourne and Rummy)

We also got Forbidden Island, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Big hits from past years include:

- Amazing Labyrinth (shifting maze while trying to collect items)

- Dixit (connect with word/story/metaphor type of game)

- Camelot Legends (strategy)

- Sequence (cards/board/tokens; trying to get 5 in row while blocking others from doing so)

- Sequence Dice (same as above, just travel size and rolling dice rather than cards)

- Five Crowns (cards, collecting sets and runs)

- The Trumpet Game (cards, trick-taking, changing trump)

- Set (critical thinking, seeing sets/patterns)

Dominion was a family favorite for awhile. Dh made a how to video on playing it.

We got Eclipse for Christmas.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/72125/eclipse

I think my hubby said it was one of the top rated games on Board game geek.

Eldest played with us twice. Dh really likes the game. I think it's okay.

We also already have lots of games. A recent favorite was Agricola. It's even better when we use the Farmers on the Moor expansion.

We like games too. Games new to us (not all are strategy-based) this year that we've played so far and enjoyed:

- Tsuro of the Seas (added twist of sea monsters, or, play without the sea monsters and it is the regular Tsuro)

- Ticket to Ride: Europe (accumulate most points for laying track to claim train ticket points)

- Settlers of Catan (strategy)

- a version of Fluxx (no strategy -- just barely contained chaos -- esp. fun for a big group of teens/early 20s!)

- Monopoly Millionaire Deal card game (fast-paced cross between Mille Bourne and Rummy)

We also got Forbidden Island, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Okay, we just tried out Forbidden Island last night. I am one who is not fond of highly competitive games, or ones in which people get knocked out of the running, but... Forbidden Island was actually a bit TOO cooperative. As one (adult) player said, "It's too much like a committee meeting and too little like a game." He went on to say, he thought it would be great as a solo game -- set yourself up with 2, 3, or 4 players and play it like a puzzle-solving activity. I have to say, I tend to agree. While it's for younger players, I really liked The Secret Door as a cooperative game.

Of the new games this year, Ticket to Ride: Europe is the clear winner at our house. :) Not that anyone really was asking. :laugh:

Another game that I've been trying to find the link to is an old game dh won at the Renaissance Fair in his teens. It's a wooden castle game where you play against one other player and you try to take up the most board space by taking turns placing pieces. It's simply named Castle.

Could the game be Cathedral? Here's a link. It's a game I've admired but never played.

Regards,

Kareni

I need to bookmark this thread for next Christmas! :)

My kids got Clue, Mastermind, and Phase 10 this year, plus a replacement Uno (not much strategy there, as the 3 year old with all his cards visible to all even won a couple hands). We have Set from last year. We are enjoying playing some more games this year, though I keep losing to my 8 year old. :tongue_smilie:

I got my sister's kids Rush Hour Jr., and I should have gotten it for my own as well. Maybe someone can get it for a birthday.