Menu

Thanks OtherJohn for restoring us!

Jane in NC

Gently:

Maybe the boards should be kept down or read-only until the kinks are worked out. Losing entire threads and posts is far more disruptive than a board outage.

I agree with what nmoira has said, but with a bit of a difference. I'd suggest keeping the board down or read only all of Jan 1st when doing the maintenance. It's better, IMO, to be up sooner than expected rather than later than expected. If we all know the site is down on Jan 1st then we'll stay away and not sit in out chairs and start checking promptly at 6AM for the board to be up.

I agree with what nmoira has said, but with a bit of a difference. I'd suggest keeping the board down or read only all of Jan 1st when doing the maintenance. It's better, IMO, to be up sooner than expected rather than later than expected. If we all know the site is down on Jan 1st then we'll stay away and not sit in out chairs and start checking promptly at 6AM for the board to be up.

Yeah, what she said. :D

Gently:

Maybe the boards should be kept down or read-only until the kinks are worked out. Losing entire threads and posts is far more disruptive than a board outage.

Gently in response:

How will OtherJohn know if the kinks are unkinked without community postings?

Also, a read-only forum may not be popular with many of other members...

I understand the frustrations but I guess I don't see a solution.

Gently in response:

How will OtherJohn know if the kinks are unkinked without community postings?

Also, a read-only forum may not be popular with many of other members...

I understand the frustrations but I guess I don't see a solution.

Something is very wrong, not for the board to be brought down (this could be for an obscure reason or due to a simple misconfiguration or anything in between), but rather to have to recover from a backup twice in a one week period.