Menu

We don't like sotw or moh. Now what for my k and 2nd grader?

mysticmomma

maybe elemental history? it's american history. my son did not find it dry at all. it has a student book (you can print off more sheets that tie into the lesson if needed from google or something). it has a list of go-along read alouds that we all enjoyed too. there are crafts as well, but you don't have to do them (although we did). it is pretty affordable too!

ETA - oh, lapbooks would be a fun addition if you like workbooky type things. homeschoolshare.com has quite a few to choose from & they're all free. other ones can be found at currclick, hands of a child, etc. you can find great ones for history. hth.

Honestly, for a Kindergartner, I don't think you need to do history. For me, kindy is very low-key. We do math (Right Start Level A has always been a favorite). We use Handwriting without Tears. We read lots of books (Sonlight lists plus others). This year, we're doing fairy tales/stories from Oak Meadow Kindy and the whole family is loving it. If you don't actually like reading SOTW, see if you can find the audio book at your library.

Have you looked at CLE? One nice thing is that it's very affordable, and you can start by just buying one of the workbooks for about $4.00.

maybe elemental history? it's american history. my son did not find it dry at all. it has a student book (you can print off more sheets that tie into the lesson if needed from google or something). it has a list of go-along read alouds that we all enjoyed too. there are crafts as well, but you don't have to do them (although we did). it is pretty affordable too! ETA - oh, lapbooks would be a fun addition if you like workbooky type things. homeschoolshare.com has quite a few to choose from & they're all free. other ones can be found at currclick, hands of a child, etc. you can find great ones for history. hth.
This is what I was going to suggest. It's on our line up to do next year with a K and 2nd grader. :)

History workbooks are almost nonexistent at the K-3 level. I forget what paltry resources I found. I gave up on workbooks and eventually settled on the OLD edition (early 1990's) of the What Your _ Grader Needs to Know series. Social studies--with an almost complete exclusion of history--is taught in the public schools in the early grades, and despite 3 editions of TWTM, even the homeschool market has produced very little at a K-3 reading and comprehension level.

The 1st edition of TWTM used an OOP Usborne book. I own it, but it doesn't work for me because the pages are just too busy for ADHD students, and it's not useful as a read aloud.

There are some American history resources published by a few Christian publishers, especially those that follow a providential view of history.

Good luck, is all I can say.

I'd. Really like to cover American history from "discovery" to present and include world history a bit as it coincides on the timeline.

Ummm... I hate to tell you this, but that's a pretty high calling in workbook format for this age group. Nearly all workbook publishers for this age are covering "social studies" -- you know, this is what the policeman does, and this is what the dentist does, and now let's draw a map of our own neighborhood.

Even Abeka, which is one of the most popular in the work/textbook camp, doesn't get to any real "history" until 3rd grade when they introduce some key figures in American history. But then, that's not world history, either.

That said, Christian Liberty Press has a history spine covering a very simple world history overview (including a bit of church history -- major church events that affected world history), and they also have a coloring book to go with it. It's pretty light, but you can add real books and movies to flesh it out if you want. It's called History for Little Pilgrims. http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntt=history+for+little+pilgrims&N=0&Ntk=keywords&action=Search&Ne=0&event=ESRCG&nav_search=1&cms=1

You could probably add their next book, American Pioneers and Patriots, and do them simultaneously. http://www.christianbook.com/american-pioneers-patriots-second-edition-hardcover/caroline-emerson/9781932971514/pd/971513?product_redirect=1&Ntt=971513&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP

But again, even these aren't really "workbooks" (i.e., fill in the blank). They're more like narratives of some historical events and people, with discussion questions at the end.... Possibly too much like SOTW and MOH in that sense, only "smaller".

Have you seen The Complete Book of US History? It does have workbook pages at the end of the sections. It's meant for older kids than yours, but it's a really good book. What about the Time Traveler's CDs? Those give you lessons right in it and lots of hands on projects and printables? I haven't used them, but I'm strongly considering it for next year.