Menu

Help--hiccups causing vomiting in infant?

Kirch

Has this happened to anyone else? Dd is a month old. She gets the hiccups several times a day after nursing. Twice now she has vomited (projectile vomiting, not spitting up) after having some pretty strong hiccups (once just now & once a week or so ago). Am I right in thinking that the hiccups may be causing the vomiting? She hasn't had any other symptoms of illness. She does spit up some (and I'm suspecting she may have reflux), but not usually like this. My boys never spit up--I'm totally out of my element here! Help!

Regardless of the hiccups, whenever I hear that a baby is spitting up, especially projectile vomiting, I suspect dairy intolerance. If it's a nursing baby, then the baby is reacting to the dairy the mother consumes. The cure is for the mother to eliminate *all* dairy from her diet for *at least* a month. If it's a bottle-fed baby, the cure is changing the baby to a dairy-free formula, and preferably a soy-free formula. There aren't many dairy- and soy-free formulas--I think Nutramagen might be the only one. Anyway, that would be my first suggestion: eliminate dairy.

My refluxer would get hiccups. Hiccups are actually on the symptom lists for reflux in infants and older people too for that matter. So sometimes the two are connected and vomiting can be as well. He is my vomit kid too and, for him, it's all connected to the reflux.

Is she in pain with the reflux?

My refluxer would get hiccups. Hiccups are actually on the symptom lists for reflux in infants and older people too for that matter. So sometimes the two are connected and vomiting can be as well. He is my vomit kid too and, for him, it's all connected to the reflux.

Is she in pain with the reflux?

I don't think so, at least not much. I can hear it gurgling up a bit after she burps (it's weird--it's like a mini-burp after a regular burp), and she does often fuss and make faces with that. She grunts and makes noises a lot, especially after nursing. It really sounds like she's trying to clear her throat sometimes. We put her to sleep semi-upright in a bouncy seat right now--flat in the bassinet seemed to make her uncomfortable and the grunting noises were worse. But she's gaining weight well, and her diapers are fine.

Regardless of the hiccups, whenever I hear that a baby is spitting up, especially projectile vomiting, I suspect dairy intolerance. If it's a nursing baby, then the baby is reacting to the dairy the mother consumes. The cure is for the mother to eliminate *all* dairy from her diet for *at least* a month. If it's a bottle-fed baby, the cure is changing the baby to a dairy-free formula, and preferably a soy-free formula. There aren't many dairy- and soy-free formulas--I think Nutramagen might be the only one. Anyway, that would be my first suggestion: eliminate dairy.

Sounds like reflux to me. Because she's not miserable, I'd be inclined to drop dairy first...

Urgh. Okay, define "drop dairy." Obviously no milk/yogurt/ice cream/cheese/etc. What about cooking with butter or things with milk as an ingredient (like homemade bread or other baked goods)?

Urgh. Okay, define "drop dairy." Obviously no milk/yogurt/ice cream/cheese/etc. What about cooking with butter or things with milk as an ingredient (like homemade bread or other baked goods)?

*Probably* you don't need to give up bread or other baked goods. In general, this isn't a true dairy *allergy.* So no milk, yogurt, cheese, cream cheese--foods that still look like milk. :-) Butter will *probably* be fine.

And you need to do it for a month. Yes, a whole month. There's something about dairy that can take a whole month to be out of the body...I forget what, but it is so. :-)

Also, NO ORANGE JUICE for you. There's something in OJ that is also in dairy--again, I forget what, because I learned this through LLL in 1978, and that's a heckalong time ago! I gave my poor baby a terrible diaper rash because I drank OJ every day for several days. Poor thing. It was the only diaper rash she ever got. ::hangs head in shame::