Menu

How do you get cat vomit out of carpet....?

AlmiraGulch

....without ruining the carpet?

In the past I just used Nature's Miracle, but all the carpet cleaner guys told me that it just pushes the stain to the bottom of the carpet fiber and that just wicks to the top again as the residue collects more dirt.

I have brand new carpet. Two weeks old. And my 15 year old cat decided to vomit all up and down the hall overnight, then on my bed today (poor kitty!). It's already dry, but I don't want to touch it until I figure out the best way.

I thought about trying to just loosen it with my floor steamer.

Any cat puke experts out there?

Since it's dry, I would try to get up anything that would come up with the vacuum first, before trying to spot clean. I would probably start with plain water and clean toweling to get up the rest. The more you can get up without chemicals, the less of them you'll need.

....without ruining the carpet?

In the past I just used Nature's Miracle, but all the carpet cleaner guys told me that it just pushes the stain to the bottom of the carpet fiber and that just wicks to the top again as the residue collects more dirt. …

What do the carpet cleaner guys recommend?

What do the carpet cleaner guys recommend?

Professional carpet cleaning, steam or dry cleaning only.

I have a steam cleaner, but it's one of those big giant Bissell things and I don't want to lug it out. Plus, it isn't that great. I may break down and get a Bissell Spot Bot like Nono suggessted, if the vacuuming and plain water technique doesn't work.

I was wondering how long my pristine new carpet would last before the first animal defiled it. The answer is17 days.

Professional carpet cleaning, steam or dry cleaning only. Of course!

I have a steam cleaner, but it's one of those big giant Bissell things and I don't want to lug it out. Plus, it isn't that great. I may break down and get a Bissell Spot Bot like Nono suggessted, if the vacuuming and plain water technique doesn't work.

I was wondering how long my pristine new carpet would last before the first animal defiled it. The answer is17 days.

Sorry you are having this trouble. :grouphug:

Sorry you are having this trouble. :grouphug:

It's such a 1st world problem and the risk I took when I got the new carpet with an aging cat and a puppy (and another cat, too). I just could not stand to look at the old stuff anymore.

It's just carpet. I'll live. I just wish I weren't having a house full of company this weekend. Or, that the cat could have waited another 2 weeks to go an a barfing rampage.

The vomit has been conquered!

I just vacuumed it. That's it. No steam, no chemicals, no nothing. Just the Dyson, brushes on, and there's no further evidence of a stain.

I really wish I had tried this years ago, instead of rushing to get it while it was still wet, soaking it with chemicals, and ending up with residual staining anyway. And I didn't have to deal with wet vomit, either.

Who knew?