Menu

Is it that hard to check SNOPES before posting to Facebook or hitting "forward"

DawnM

to all the people on your list?

ARGH!

Today I found 8 people had posted to FB and 2 had forwarded me a message that has been circulating for over 10 years and it is always posted as NEW information. It is also posted as truth. It is NOT, it is a sensationalized story that is less than 50% true.

Just a VENT for today.

Dawn

ARGH!

Today I found 8 people had posted to FB and 2 had forwarded me a message that has been circulating for over 10 years and it is always posted as NEW information. It is also posted as truth. It is NOT, it is a sensationalized story that is less than 50% true.

Just a VENT for today.

Dawn

I can so totally relate!

tell me about it. I think this happens the most with the older crowd. I get lots of emails from my mom and grandparents on my dh's side, warning me of all of these various dangers.

I had a couple of my friends post something yesterday that could fall in the same category, and let's just say they're a lot closer to their 10 year high school reunion than their 50 year reunion.

Well, I heard that if you check Snopes the fine print on their site lets them install a tracking device on your computer that will let the government see everything on your hard drive and then emit a pulse that will render all household pets unconscious. If you care about puppies you'll send this to all your contacts. If you don't love puppies then just hit delete, you evil person you.

Well, I heard that if you check Snopes the fine print on their site lets them install a tracking device on your computer that will let the government see everything on your hard drive and then emit a pulse that will render all household pets unconscious. If you care about puppies you'll send this to all your contacts. If you don't love puppies then just hit delete, you evil person you.

It's all good then: I'm a cat person. An unconscious cat would be out of the eat-Christmas-tree-then-vomit loop.

Oh no, I love puppies! I will prove it to you by forwarding this to all my friends!

However, I may need to attach a picture of my puppy going up a slide eating a cupcake while wearing a kilt.

Ugh. I have a family member who sends me these bogus emails all the time. The worst part - he has sent 2 in the last month that are a repeat (with changed dates) of ones that he sent me a few years ago. On the plus side, I don't have to bother to look if they're legit the second time.

I don't :tongue_smilie: . I do not forward e-mails much, but I don't double check before sharingon facebook. What I share are almost always quotes. Really-If I share it it is because i like the quote-not who is supposed to have said. There is a friend that always corrects me-i don't care if she does. I would spend half my facebook time checking quotes If I wanted to be "correct" I say-just enjoy the quote-lol

It is my secret dream to hack Snopes and just make stuff up.

If you go to snopes and look at "Lost Legends" it is full of made up stuff. I mean, articles where snopes does the spoofs themselves to give you some practice identifitying fallacies. They are trying to tell you never to take just one person's authority--even theirs. It is a hilarious section.

I don't :tongue_smilie: . I do not forward e-mails much, but I don't double check before sharingon facebook. What I share are almost always quotes. Really-If I share it it is because i like the quote-not who is supposed to have said. There is a friend that always corrects me-i don't care if she does. I would spend half my facebook time checking quotes If I wanted to be "correct" I say-just enjoy the quote-lol

Cute or inspirational quotes are one thing. False information is totally different. What drives me crazy are the posts people copy (or email forwards) that are full of false information. That is just irresponsible and makes one look unintelligent.

The ones I dislike (besides the false ones) are the inspirational ones that threaten you to doom or imply God will never bless you if you don't send this email full of "inspiration" to 15 people in the next 5 minutes. Wow, feel the love!

Not only do I neither "like" those nor share them, I hide them on my timeline.

In fact, if something tells me to share it to show my support/love/whatever, I'm *definitely* NOT gonna. Just sayin'...

Yes. That bothers me too. But have you heard of a new drug called Pink Quick? It is spreading across our country. Poor grade school age children are being exposed to pink crystal meth and noone even cares!

Did you correct the people? I usually feel bad being the voice of reason. Sorry no killer spiders biting people at Olive Garden...

ARGH!

Just a VENT for today.

Dawn

I'm not on facebook, but IKWYM. They are the same people who mass forward those emails and go posting that stuff on internet boards.

Who hasn't heard of Snopes by now? And, why don't these people just USE it?

Not only do I neither "like" those nor share them, I hide them on my timeline.

In fact, if something tells me to share it to show my support/love/whatever, I'm *definitely* NOT gonna. Just sayin'...

Yup. It's guaranteed to bring out my contrary side, even if the quote or idea or whatever is something I agree with.

Did you correct the people? I usually feel bad being the voice of reason. Sorry no killer spiders biting people at Olive Garden...

Who hasn't heard of Snopes by now? And, why don't these people just USE it?

I have gently directed people to Snopes for years (and copied and pasted from urban folklore Usenet groups before that.) Last year I was blasted because Snopes is apparently now part of a "liberal conspiracy" to keep the truth from us, so I no longer provide people with helpful advice to keep them from embarrassing themselves. I just delete and move on.