Menu

Army son is coming home

Down_the_Rabbit_Hole

Just got a facebook message that his plans have changed and he will be here for 2 weeks instead. BIG surprise both good and not so good (looooong back story). Since his original plans had him elsewhere for Christmas I sent his Christmas packages to him already (which he received). But now he will be here and on Christmas morning have nothing to open while we all tear away at a mountain of gifts....do I get him more so he can have a Christmas morning too? Or not? Money is not tight but is budgeted. Any ideas?

Are you sure he already opened them? You can call and ask him to bring them if he didn't. (Yeah, I know, he probably did.)

I understand your feelings--ds is going to be here, too. 'Nuff said.

I would get a few little things, and then say something like, "I know you already got your gifts, but we wanted you to have some things to open, so you don't feel left out!" Big smile as you hand him a few "surprises." That way you subtly tell him he shouldn't be expecting more (a social cue! lol) but you are aware that he might feel left out.

If he is in the Army he's a grown man. He can watch. But for a homecoming, you could make it special in another way: a banner and his favorite food.

Already brainstorming on the menu while he is here, I know he hasn't been eating good so this Italian mom is going to fatten him up some.

Banner is a good idea, dd will love to make one.

Are you sure he already opened them? You can call and ask him to bring them if he didn't. (Yeah, I know, he probably did.)

I would get a few little things, and then say something like, "I know you already got your gifts, but we wanted you to have some things to open, so you don't feel left out!" Big smile as you hand him a few "surprises." That way you subtly tell him he shouldn't be expecting more (a social cue! lol) but you are aware that he might feel left out.

He is coming from Korea so he cannot bring his packages.

Landing in Utah and taking bus here because Utah plans fell through....grrr, grrr, and grrr...the money spent on plane tickets and bus tickets was astronomical, all of which we kept telling him NOT to do...anyway I won't get into it cus I won't be able to stop. I'll keep you in my thought though because I remember your backstory, sort of similar.

Maybe a few stocking stuffer things and I planned on making him a toque after Christmas, but now he can pick out the yarn and I can make it while he is here.

You could also bake him a big batch of cookies and wrap them. He can scarf them down or share them around or even freeze and take back with him. Another option is to put together things for him to take with him when he leaves again--granola bars, beef jerky, candy, moist towelettes (he might appreciate those more than one might think!), notes from various family members to be opened on the bus, etc.

Besides his favorite meals to eat while here and home made cookies to take on his bus ride/plane ride, I bought him a rc helicopter. Hubby and 16yr old will be getting one for christmas and I figured he would enjoy playing too. Also a new pair of pjs. Both these things were small to fit in his suitcase and they were not expensive.

Thanks for the ideas and perspectives.

Yes, get a few more gifts. They don't need to be anything big. Just fun stuff.

Personally, I'm just so happy to hear that, after all of the drama you've had with him, he has chosen to make the trip home to spend the holidays with your family. It sounds like a long and inconvenient trip, so he must really miss you guys!

I'm glad you decided to get him a few gifts -- I'm sure they will make him very happy.

Praying that it's a great visit with a much-changed (for the better!) young man. :grouphug: