Menu

Which of these books would you choose?

I'm trying to narrow down my Amazon shopping cart to 6 six books, but I'm having a hard time choosing between these:

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - Anne Bronte

Can You Forgive Her? - Anthony Trollope

The Mysteries of Udolpho -Ann Radcliffe

Bleak House - Charles Dickens

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë

Villette - Charlotte Brontë

The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins

Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray

The Mill on the Floss - George Eliot

Far from the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy

Sentimental Education - Gustave Flaubert

Which books would you pick?

Any recommendations?

Have you read Middlemarch? I much prefer it to Mill on the Floss.

Definitely get Villette.

Other than that, I'd advise checking the titles against those available to you from the public library and purchasing the ones that aren't. And of course, all those can be read for free via Gutenberg.

Other than that, I'd advise checking the titles against those available to you from the public library and purchasing the ones that aren't. And of course, all those can be read for free via Gutenberg.

My local library only has Jane Eyre, and I like this one so much I want to have my own copy.

I've tried reading book on the computer, but it's just not the same as curling up on the couch with a cup of tea and a good book.

[

Bleak House - Charles Dickens

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen ****************

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë******************

Villette - Charlotte Brontë******************

The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins**********

The Mill on the Floss - George Eliot**************

Far from the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy

I can not pick between Dickens and Hardy. The **** are no brainers to me - great, rereadable books!

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - One of my all-time favorite books.

Bleak House - This one took me a while to get through, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Pride and Prejudice - Love Jane Austen!

Jane Eyre - Probably my single all-time favorite book.

Villette - I was reading this one on breaks at work several years ago and ended up one day walking back to my desk, reading as I walked, crying and muttering to myself because I was so absorbed in it.

The Woman in White - I went through a Collins phase recently and had a great time. I only wish more of his stuff were readily available in print.

Vanity Fair didn't do much for me. I wanted to love it, but just couldn't get into it. And, although Tess of the Durbervilles is also on my all-time favorites list, I find most of the other Hardy I've read depressing.

I'm afraid I haven't read the others. But the ones above would definitely be my choices!

I haven't looked at all of them, but checked on a few and they were part of the buy 3 get the 4th free promotion. That would probably help make my decision - I'd pick at least 4 books on that promotion (and if there are 8 on it, then you could get 8 books and only pay for 6).

My dad made me read Mill on the Floss in junior high - he had me read a lot of great literature which I really appreciate - but he also never let me quit reading a book. I hated Mill on the Floss. It was sooo boring. And he made me finish it. It took me probably 6 months to get through.

And now I keep running across people saying how good it is :lol: I'm very tempted to try and reread it. I was talking to my dad about it awhile ago - that book is kind of a running joke with us now, and he said he has no idea why he was so bent on me finishing the book - and that he had never even read it!!! Talk about being unfair :lol:

I think, with most of these, they are on the buy 3, get one free sale. And you have to get the Jane Austen, no matter what!! I would get Villete, and agree with Middlemarch. Not Mill on the Floss--yuck. I'd also choose Jane Eyre, Bleak House, The Woman in White, hmm, and I guess maybe I'd give up Villete for the Mysteries of Udolpho, since they speak of it in Northanger Abbey.

Depending on how much you are spending, they have a wonderful copy of all of Jane Austen's seven novels, including Lady Susan, at B&N online for like $13, hardback.