Menu

xpost: Questions about using Sopris West Rewards program.

I had this in the k-8 forum and it was suggested I post here as well.

After reading through a thread about 2nd graders and reading I started looking into other rec. My ds is almost 11 and going into 5th grade. He is a slow reluctant reader and has trouble with phonetic sounds. He has not been tested, but it is highly possible he has mild dyslexia.

I looked into the Rewards Intermediate program this morning and think it might be a good fit for him. I like the fact it is geared for older elementary ages. I read several previous posts about the program but have a few questions.

1. How long does the individual lessons take?

2. Do they rec you do it daily? Or can you spread it out over more time?

3. Pros?/Cons?

4. how did it affect your child's confidence in reading?

5. Did success in this program help overflow into other problem areas in their studies?

6. Did you do this program as part of the school day? If so would you rec it at the beginning or end of the day?

Thanks, I look forward to your responses.

We did do part of their sample chapter yesterday and made a little progress.

I'm on lesson 15 out of 25 of Reward Intermediate with my son. It has improved his decoding skills. His reading was not really bad to begin with, but he has ld's and he needed some help getting to the next level with decoding multisyllable words.

I did the first five lessons in a row with him and then I've spread the last 10 out over the summer. We have 10 more lessons to go and I plan to finish them over the next couple of weeks.

I haven't really timed the lessons, but it seems like it takes about 30 minutes. I am really trying to get the lessons done before we get into all of our other subjects this fall. It could be done during the school year, but it is just one more thing and we have a full schedule, so I'd like to finish it soon.

FYI, I will be selling my set (I bought an extra workbook) for about $65 ppd when we are done.

Lisa

1. How long does the individual lessons take?

30-45 min until you get to the ones with fluency readings. I then divided those into two lessons.

2. Do they rec you do it daily? Or can you spread it out over more time?

i'd do it at least twice a week.

3. Pros?/Cons?

Excellent at decoding skills and teaching you, the mom, how to do fluency readings, which are crucial. Vocab, spelling, and comprehension are light, but if decoding is what you need, it's perfect. Even if decoding is part of what you need, it's an excellent place to start.

4. how did it affect your child's confidence in reading?

1st ds (mild tp moderate dyslexia) improved 4 grade levels in comprehension. I've used it with kids I've tutored and they said that it made an immense difference. They remember the strategies and use them at school. Second ds (many disabilities on top of dyslexia) needed the follow up book, REWARDS plus, to cement gains.

5. Did success in this program help overflow into other problem areas in their studies?

What other problem areas? It's very targeted to reading, and to a lesser extent, spelling.

6. Did you do this program as part of the school day? If so would you rec it at the beginning or end of the day?

Absolutely. It's the most important thing you'll do all day. Do it when the child is fresh. If needed, take away time from a content subject like history or science.