Menu

confidence

carol

I have a 6th grade boy who is very inventive, mechanical, and creative. Most of his academic skills are average with the exception of spelling(he made drastic improvements 2nd semester last year when we found a curriculum that works). He is probably somewhere in the mid of 4th on spelling and his writing is probably behind too since he won't write words he has difficult spelling and although he knows how to use a dictionary he doesn't like to take the time to. He labels himself below

average academically because of this. I believe he is comparing himself to his older brother. What would you do?

Thanks

lego league, camps etc. Give him projects that he can be proud of and tie it to his academics. Maybe writing a blog on how to build things he has invented with pictures and diagrams etc. See if you can find contests that ask children to invent things. Usually they have to write a description. (http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/contests.htm) might have a link to something interesting.

As far as the spelling goes, have you tried different spelling programs? If it is keeping him from writing, maybe typing is the way to go. My nephew, 21, says that spellcheck was his best spelling teacher. I don't like to use a dictionary either.

We all struggle with things that are easy for others. This is one of the lessons of life. Spelling and writing are just part of an academic career. Try to make him feel good about his gifts and encourage him through his challenges.

Not to restate the obvious, but I'd work on his spelling. My dd went through a stage like that, where she couldn't spell what she wanted to spell. We worked REALLY hard on spelling that year, doing 3 programs at once, lots and lots of writing, and got her over that hump. There's nothing like having a skill to build confidence, kwim? He might never be an amazing speller, but I'm sure he could get better than that.

What worked for us was LOTS of sentence dictation, LOTS more writing, and LOTS more visual input of spelling through other means like the computer. Somehow our very analytical spelling program (SWR) only ended up making her think she was wrong.

For the dictation, I suggest you get Spelling Plus. I looked it over at the convention, haven't used it myself, but it's definitely what I would use if I were in that position again. Written by a 6th grade teacher, it covers useful words with dictation sentences that spiral. Easy to implement, thoroughly useful. You could add the rules and phonogram cards for SWR/WRTR onto that if you wish.

On the writing, I suggest you get IEW. It wasn't in my budget for this year, so I made my own version. In any case, it will get him writing more. Add to that during the week basic assignments. The easiest way to do that is to set a daily goal for writing (say 2 or 3 pages written a day) and then just tally up what your dc is doing. So one day he might do a 1 page summary or outline of his history reading, a page of dictation for spelling, and a page journal entry. Next day he might do a page in a lit guide, keyword outline of his IEW, and a page write-up for his science lab. Next day he might have a 2 page rough draft for his IEW and a page of dictation. And so on.

Could I make a suggestion on the dictionary thing? Stop making him use it for spelling. It just makes the whole thing tedious and something he'll avoid. Your goal is to break any habits of mindlessly writing words incorrectly, then make it EASY for him to get the correct spelling. Making it hard to get the correct spelling isn't going to help him remember it any better, but it sure will ingrain negative attitudes. Instead, when you do dictation make it a team effort, where you encourage him to ASK about any words he doesn't know. If you get those phonogram and rules cards for SWR/WRTR, you can use them to explain the spellings of unfamiliar words. (count syllables, then understand the components of the syllables based on the words) So then he's starting to see reasons for the spellings. Then that skill carries over into his writing, where you are conveniently available and he ASKS if he doesn't know a word. You talk it through with him (syllables, components of the syllables), and he moves on. That way his writing will improve, as he'll be free to use any word that comes to him, he'll learn good habits, he'll be imprinting the words visually correctly, not incorrectly, and it won't be much hassle on your part. Even if he asks a LOT of words at first, it's going to improve with the Spelling Plus dictation. Dictation of frequently used words, in the context of sentences, done in sufficient quantities (I suggest daily), is an EXTREMELY powerful tool. Try it!!

The other thing I have my dd use is a spelling dictionary called AlphaList, basically a list of words words with their SWR/WRTR markings and rules applied. It makes it quick to look up words for herself. I'd get him something like that, rather than expecting him to use a full dictionary.

For spelling on the computer, I've been using the Calvert cd's with my dd. She enjoys them, but I can't say how a 6th grader would feel about them. I guess know your kid. I think they go through 6th, not sure. They are grade-leveled and you'd want to back up enough that he would be comfortable with it. See, this might sound funny, but my goal was to make her feel like a GOOD speller with them, not so much to retain a lot of spelling. I don't know how much they've helped her spelling, but I know they've turned around her ATTITUDE about spelling, making her confident that she CAN spell. It's the one thing of LA she actually ASKS to do, hehe... So if he's testing 4th gr, I'd get him the 4th and 5th gr calvert spelling cd's. My dd does a lesson (week's worth) a day, which should be no problem for your ds. At the end of each lesson is a word processing project that my dd enjoys, even though she's not normally one for writing. In any case, the whole thing gives her the chance to be RIGHT, where dictation and writing and spelling books are normally about her being wrong. They cd's are inexpensive to start and have great resale value, so I'd encourage you to give them a try.

I think Elizabeth gave you some great ideas on how to proceed with spelling for your son.

My dd was a terrible speller until she was around 13 or 14. She is now reasonably competent.

Please reassure your son that, of all the things which might indicate academic ability or competence, spelling is just not on the list.

President Andrew Jackson is famously quoted as saying: "It's a da** poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word!" :)

Anne

My oldest son is similar. Honestly, while I'd work on the spelling and writing consistently, I wouldn't stress about it. It's way more important to emphasize his strengths and find outlets for his creativity. I agree with looking into Lego League/Lego Mindstorm. Check your local art association, childrens museum, and any state parks for programs that appeal to his interests.

My very mechanically inclined son recently took a sculpting class at our art association. It was a real eye-openers for me. I had no idea how really gifted he was regarding visualizing things in 3D and then reproducing them. He can really look at a lump of clay and "see" the finished work inside - very neat.

My son has a similar personality to yours. He happens to be a good speller though. My son has enjoyed creating books that deal with his interests. You may try doing some of the more detailed lapbooks where he can illustrate his inventive/mechanical interests. He would end up writing the equivalent of a short essay, but it would be stretched out over many pages. He may be more motivated to work on spelling as he will be working on a valuable keepsake vs. a paper that will disappear into Never Never Land.

Learning how to type fairly well (as fast as he prints or maybe a bit faster) has helped my son enormously. Since he is still somewhat uncomfortable with composing directly on the computer, he does a handwritten draft that I don't look at then he types it into the word processor. He uses the spell checker as well as he can and only then do I look at it. At this point there are usually very few spelling mistakes and no chicken scratch handwriting to deal with. It has improved his writing confidence significantly. Perhaps more importantly, it has improved my view of his writing significantly. By allowing me to see beyond the terrible handwriting and spelling, I see that his writing can actually be pretty good, that there is hope, and that it is not a disaster if he needs to use a spell checker for the rest of his life.

Is there any particular lapbook you'd recommend?

My son has a similar personality to yours. He happens to be a good speller though. My son has enjoyed creating books that deal with his interests. You may try doing some of the more detailed lapbooks where he can illustrate his inventive/mechanical interests. He would end up writing the equivalent of a short essay, but it would be stretched out over many pages. He may be more motivated to work on spelling as he will be working on a valuable keepsake vs. a paper that will disappear into Never Never Land.

my ds12 has always had low self esteem regarding his academic ability. He was labelled 'behind' in 2nd grade, which was why we homeschooled him, but he never recovered the joy of learning and confidence he had when little. He has a sister only 17 months older who is ahead of average.

My path has been to just keep working on his weaknesses, praise him (although he doesnt really respond to it well, if I dont praise him he is worse!). Build on his strengths, (reading in his case) and work on his weaknesses (handwriting and writing). He can see the improvement and finally he is beginning to actually care, and his handwriting has suddenly- in the last 3-6 months, but even the last weeks- taken off and become beautiful. I never thought I would ever say it, but it is beautiful. And he knows it but he is a perfectionist so its never quite good enough for him.

Some kids have to work harder at some things, and it is hard as a parent to see them hurting over it- but you can't live their destiny for them. I make a big deal about small improvements, I stay positive with him, and I dont make a big deal any more about his weak areas- we just do daily work on them. Growth doesnt have to happen in slow increments- my son's handwriting suddenly improved when he decided to try really hard at it. He probably couldn't have done better before, even if he did try- somehow, he was just ready to try. Your son's spelling may take off better when he learns to just notice spellings. I agree with the person who said spell check was the best- it has been for my son too. And so has reading a lot. Much more than any spelling programs- but if my son was weak in spelling we would do daily spelling and then get on with our other work.

Because my son hates worksheets and workbooks, we do very few of them. I try and build on his strong areas- we read and discuss- he is a verbal kid.

He needs to understand that some people, especially those who are good with mechanics, or that type of thing, are not good at certain other things, one of which may be spelling. I have a sister who has a genius IQ, had a 4.0 in college, got a full scholarship to Harvard for an MBA in MicroEconomics, and she called me up one day and said "How do you spell "does" ", I burst out laughing, and she said, "No, I know, it is "doze", right?". This was typical her, a bit worse than usual, but her.

Some mathematical geniuses cannot spell! I'm not saying he won't improve, he already has, but pointing out that some people excel at some things and others at others shouldn't hurt.