Menu

Pray pray pray - James has disappeared

Robin M

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all :grouphug: Robin. I imagine you're going to feel wrung out the rest of the day.

Second -- I know there is a spectrum to Asperger's so that your son's issues and behavior may far different from what I've experienced with mine, but does your ds tend to be rule bound? My aspie always has been a rule follower -- it has made his young adult life much easier on me knowing this. I was thinking that even if your ds has no common sense and likes to head out for walks on his own, would he follow a checklist of rules for when he does go out?? You could work on it together and discuss the rules as you make the list. Title it "before I leave the house" and include telling mom or dad that I am going for a walk, where that walk will be and for how long. I'd also invest in a phone for him that must be ON, charged, and in his pocket any time he is away from you. That way you can reach him and he can check the time or use a timer and alarm setting to remind him he has to either call or head home. Any violation of those rules would mean a privilege would be revoked, and he will need to earn his right to head out alone in the first place. But this might be a good thing to start now that he is 13 as he will need more and more to be able to function on his own in the great big world.

3. Lastly, more :grouphug: and love from a fellow mom of a lovable but challenging Aspie!!

I am so glad he is safe! I woud put alarms on all putside doors OR get a security system installed, one where there is an "at home" option so the alarm will go off if external doors are opened.

:iagree: Time to alarm the house. Keyed deadbolts so he can't get out when you are sleeping. I do think those are dangerous in a fire situation, but it's a risk that is worth it in this situation.

Thanks everyone! I've looked into a door alarm plus a double locking deadbolt. I'm hoping this is a one time only thing but you never know with him. He said he was running away. No particular destination in mind, he just started walking. Said he had decided to do it last night. At first he said he was mad about not getting a certain magazine in the mail, then it was about some fight he had with his friend. Then the real reason came out and it totally floored me. He said since we were annoyed by his verbal ticking, he thought if he went away, we wouldn't be annoyed anymore. Lots of talking today, mostly us listening to him and reassuring him we love him unconditionally. Plus how to deal with his tic. Yes, we are going to see his doctor tomorrow.

It's also made us realize he's not so helpless. He went across several major streets, obeying the lights, etc. That's always been my fear is that he's so oblivious to what's going on around him, that he'd step out in front of a car and get hit. He's also very gregarious so whenever he came across anybody on the street he said hello. While the police were looking for him, somebody called in a kid wondering the streets. Thank god. So many bad things could have happened and I'm trying not to go there.