Menu

How about a monthly bookclub? We could find a time to log on and discuss a book of our choosing.

I wouls love A MONTHLY book group with a thread to follow or even a wtm bookclub facebook page. WHere we can discuss the book as we reed and make suggestions for themes

or a book that we would all like to read. It could be really interesting. I am game: Who else would be interested? We can do any book we like: chicklit, cookbook, classics, scifi, non fiction, etc..

Goodreads already has a WellTrainedMind group on it. I'm just throwing that out there as an alternative to Facebook. I don't think the WTM group on Goodreads is very active, so It isn't as though you'd be barging in on someone else's discussion.

I've noticed that WTM groups on other sites (Goodreads, Ravelry) tend to fizzle out over time. Lots of people don't even catch on they exist; or else it's too much bother to click over and participate there as well as here.

Sounds interesting. Maybe we could just start a new thread every month or, does this board even have social groups anymore? I agree that off-site groups tend to fizzle and membership stays low since potential new members don't know it exists.

Who has titles to suggest?

I am SOOOO in!!!!!

Some practical ideas....or not. Let me know what you think.

1) Choosing books: If one does a google search for "bookclub suggestions for 2013," several lists come up. This could give us a starting point. Someone could start a suggestion thread for people to suggest books (or nix them if they have a really good reason).

2) When there are a certain number of suggestions, (12? 15? more? less?) someone sets a poll for those who believe they would participate. Ask people to not vote if they do not believe they would participate in the club. Is it possible to have everyone vote for only a certain number of the choices (3? 5?)? Top three most popular books would be the first three months of readings, in order.

3) When starting monthly thread, have a standard book club way to search for the thread. LIke: "Bookclub January 2013 Sense and Sensiblilty" or "BC Feb 2013 Bubbles in Trouble." Pick a template and stick to it.

These are just suggestions. I don't want to hijack someone else's vision

ETA: This is, of course, if we can do any part of it here.

YES!

duckens, I like your organizational mind; thanks for stepping up! Something like this can be discussed and discussed and discussed, but it will never actually come to fruition if we don't just do it, right?!

Here are some books I've been wanting to read:

Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community (by: Robert D. Putnam)

A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael (by: Elisabeth Elliot)

Last Child in the Woods (by: Richard Louv)

Can you tell I gravitate toward non-fiction? I'd love some fiction suggestions! I LIKE fiction, but I just don't tend to read it. So, being involved in a book club might help me to infuse some fiction into my life as well as non-fiction.

Also, I prefer a non-facebook venue, as I am not on fb. Holding the discussion on a thread here sounds perfect. (I am so encouraged to see that I am not the only one out there who is a non facebooker!!! Sounds like a lot of us here are not on it. Sometimes I feel like I must be the only person in the world not on facebook, so this was exciting for me to see!) :D

Here are some books I've been wanting to read:

Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community (by: Robert D. Putnam)

A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael (by: Elisabeth Elliot)

Last Child in the Woods (by: Richard Louv)

Can you tell I gravitate toward non-fiction? I'd love some fiction suggestions! I LIKE fiction, but I just don't tend to read it. So, being involved in a book club might help me to infuse some fiction into my life as well as non-fiction.

I tend to gravitate towards fiction so I look forward to a push in the opposite direction :D Hopefully we can get a great mix of titles to read.

I'd love to join, but I'm definitely on the fiction side. I think a good variety of books so that there is something for everyone and we can all broaden our horizons.

I don't care if it is on FB or somewhere else, but I'm not a member anywhere else, so if you go off-site, please make sure we can all find it!

I tend to read mostly non-fiction, too, though I do love a good fiction book when the mood strikes. Right now I'm on a bit of a Jennifer McMahon kick. I guess it would be good to decide if there will be a focus to this book club (fiction, non-fiction, Newbery winners, current favorites, classics, around the world, social justice etc.), or if it will just be whatever strikes the fancy of the masses.

Last Child in the Woods was very good, though it felt like it went on forever.

A few on my to-be-read list are:

The Night Circus by Morgenstern

Kisses From Katie by Davis

The God of Driving by Collins

Dayuma by Wallis

Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Stowe

Tales of a Female Nomad by Gelman

Committed by Gilbert

Last Child in the Woods has been on my list to read, too!

Goodreads (which I have only discovered since this thread) has a beautiful list of fiction here. Do any of those appeal to people?

There is nonfiction here.

For nonfiction, I recommend that we steer clear of anything political nonfiction for a club held here. (I would love to read Chris Hays' Twilight of the Elites, but this would not be the place to discuss a book as his).

I would like to read On Saudi Arabia: Its People, Past, Religion, Fault LInes -- and Future.

I propose that books get at least two or three nods here to make it to voting stage.

So far, only Last Child in the Woods has been given acknowledgment.

I also would like to read Committed by Gilbert.

Do others have books they would recommend, or shall we start a new thread specifically looking for recommendations?

Ok. Looks like we need a new thread for book suggestions. I will start one. Come and list 3-5 or so books that you would like to read (or cut and paste your list if you have already added one.). We can tally and vote etc. in a few days when people have has a chance to list titles. If someone could hyperlink the new thread I would appreciate it, as I am on my iPad and cannot.