Menu

Anyone else teaching their children to sew?

Both my girls are learning to sew this holiday. Each is making a simple stocking. My dd11 is making a very simple quilt, a shower gift for a beloved teacher who is moving and expecting her first child in a few months. Neither kids have done much sewing but I am determined to have some fun with them. Any good tips to pass along?

Sounds like you're doing a great job. They're starting with easier wonderful projects, with hand-sewing, for special purposes. That teacher will be thrilled with a baby quilt! They will likely have ideas of what they want to do for their next project. Our dd was never interested in sewing "regular" clothes. She would buy things from the thrift/consignment store & re-work them to what she liked. Also she loved sewing period costumes, like a Jane-Austen-style or LOTR-style dresses.

Two years ago, this young woman started a blog, rehabbing a thrift store outfit each day.

http://www.newdressaday.com/

It's now an easy way to teach yourself how to alter clothes so that you like them!

Enjoy the creative process.

Oh, how fun for your dd! I love sewing customs as well. As we speak, I am finishing up "Little House on the Prairie" type dresses for my nieces- Christmas presents. Both of my nieces are over the moon with LHP so I believe these dresses will be a big hit. Thanks for the link to the rehabbed clothing blog, I will look it over.

Jewel-Sounds like you're doing great! Just keep going. :)

Beth-What a fun blog and idea!!! Yes, dd made a couple LotR-style dresses, just finished them this week in fact, whew! They weren't authentic, but they were the best she could do for this time. I could see her getting more involved in the future. That refab idea is neat, because it's affordable and let's the practice on what's actually the hardest thing (to me), fitting.

Anyone have any good projects for boys learning to hand sew?

We have 4 boys, and generally I've nudged them toward Duct Tape projects, Lego Stop Motion movies, and Marshmallow Guns. All of which have become quite elaborate these past few years. :)

But I did make pillowcases for them, using camo fabric--which would be an easy self-made project. Just about any cartoon character has licensed fabric these days--Dr. Who, Winnie the Pooh, Bob The Builder, etc. It makes for a fun, easy first project (actually for boy or girl). Also my mom made camo drawstring bags for their army men gear, another easy project. I've also had them sew military patches on their army jackets.

With boys, my highest priority would be to make sure they knew how to sew on a button (using a straight pin across the button so there's a bit of slack in the thread, or else the button breaks off). I sadly waited until the day before our ds left for college to teach him!

Ours start with simple felt handsewing projects: Needle "book" (running stitch), and simple stuffed animals (blanket stitch), and Toothfairy pillow (combination).

Next we do an easy pillow sham for a throw pillow, usually in a straight-line quilt pattern.

My older kids do a twin-size bed quilt and then progress to clothes.

DS15 modifies patterns to make his own creations. He's quite into fashion-design right now.

Ours start with simple felt handsewing projects: Needle "book" (running stitch), and simple stuffed animals (blanket stitch), and Toothfairy pillow (combination).

Next we do an easy pillow sham for a throw pillow, usually in a straight-line quilt pattern.

My older kids do a twin-size bed quilt and them progress to clothes.

DS15 modifies patterns to make his own creations. He's quite into fashion-design right now.

Man, who knew boys could have so much fun sewing! These are all great ideas! :)

Sewing Machine tips

• Safety issues while using a sewing machine
  • Threading the machine
  • Winding & fitting the bobbin
  • Changing & fitting a machine needle
  • Correct hand positioning,
  • Feeding the fabric through the sewing machine foot.
  • Reverse & forward stitches.
  • Stitch type, length & width
  • How to secure & overlock (zig zag)

Hand sewing tips

• Safety issues using needles, pins & scissors
  • Keeping the workplace tidy
  • How to thread a needle and make a simple knot
  • Simple hand stitches
  • Make a stitch sampler
  • Laying the fabric, pinning, pattern drafting, cutting
  • Iron finished work

I've made it a requirment in our home that once you enter 5th grade and haven't learned to sew yet it's a "class" you have to take. My oldest dd will be in 5th next year and isn't looking forward to it! My dd8 is in the 2nd grade and is THRILLED to know that after the new year she can begin on Friday's taking her "sewing class"! :) My ds will also have to take sewing. I've got projects lined up for him to pick from. They will include bags, jammie pants, & simple popsicle cozies. The list is rather large and it suits boys or girls. I like to think that my dc will move out and know how to sew a button, hem a piece of clothing, and repurpose something if needed without fear of a sewing machine. I would like to purchase each of my kids their own sewing machine before moving out onto their own as well.

I've enjoyed reading this blog: sewingwithkids.blogspot.com It is fairly simple, but I tend to forget all the basic steps and jump in to something too complex.

www.downeastthunderfarm This blog has really cute, free patterns for making felt birds using basic stitches and felt. I plan to have my Harry Potter loving son make the owl (Hedgwig!).

Also, embroidery is a great way to practice basic stitches. My girls and I are going to work on running, blanket and back stitches while doing a basic line drawing embroidery pattern over the Christmas break. Using bright threads on contrasting fabric helps them see the stitches better. Free embroidery patterns are easy to find online, or have your child make their own simple line drawing to use.

ETA: Gah! I cannot make the links work. Just google the blog names and you should find it. Sorry!

I've made it a requirment in our home that once you enter 5th grade and haven't learned to sew yet it's a "class" you have to take. My oldest dd will be in 5th next year and isn't looking forward to it! My dd8 is in the 2nd grade and is THRILLED to know that after the new year she can begin on Friday's taking her "sewing class"! :) My ds will also have to take sewing. I've got projects lined up for him to pick from. They will include bags, jammie pants, & simple popsicle cozies. The list is rather large and it suits boys or girls. I like to think that my dc will move out and know how to sew a button, hem a piece of clothing, and repurpose something if needed without fear of a sewing machine. I would like to purchase each of my kids their own sewing machine before moving out onto their own as well.

What a great idea! Would you mind sharing more of your project list?

I've started teaching dd to sew. She has done a little felt stuffed animal with running stitch. She also just made some stuffed felt ornaments where she sewed on buttons for decoration and used blanket stitch around the edges. She loves sewing!

Both of my girls have recently shown an interest in sewing and Santa was going to bring a sewing machine and some supplies for hand sewing. Yesterday DD9 decided to make a replica of her cheer uniform and she did it with felt and a glue stick. Here it is...

61454_10200155148943460_203742687_n.jpg

After that, I went ahead and gave her a few hand sewing materials to get started and she's been going non-stop ever since. She's already sewn up 4 pillows for her AG.

What a great idea! Would you mind sharing more of your project list?

I've started teaching dd to sew. She has done a little felt stuffed animal with running stitch. She also just made some stuffed felt ornaments where she sewed on buttons for decoration and used blanket stitch around the edges. She loves sewing!

Sure I will post my project list at the bottom for you to see.

Mamaofblessings, I'd also love to see your project list! I am always looking for things for ds to do, and I love the idea of making sewing mandatory at a certain level. My girls are all fired up to learn, but ds is not, and a required class may be in his future!

Since I've announced that sewing will be mandatory in 5th grade my kids have all been less scared of the idea. They realize I will handle sewing as a class and they will have all year to learn the skill. Plus they like the idea that they will have items to show for their work instead of a binder of completed work. I show them hand sewing first. That part of it is rather short compared to the machine sewing part, but I find it important for kids to relate the needle wih the thread to the fabric.

Sewing Project List

Level 1 Pre-Beginner Sewing Projects

Felt Ribbon Bookmark

Felt Ornament

Felt Magnet

Drawstring Bag

Coin Purse/Pouch

Sweater Mittens

Treasure Stick Bag

Popsicle Pouch

Ice Cream Cone Cover

Level 2 Pre-Beginner Sewing Projects

Machine sewing a straight stitch

Cell phone holder

Christmas Ornament

Decorate a snowman

Dishtowel Apron

Felt Organizer

Fleece winter hat

Boo Boo Pack with Case

Pillowcase

iPod holder

Mini Pin Cushion

Pillowcase Apron

Beanbag

Rectangle Pillow

Doll Pillow & Sleeping Bag

Tie Belt

Pot Holder

Pen Holder

Stuffed Animal

Level 3 Beginner Sewing Projects

Machine sewing straight lines, curves, & corners

Baby Receiving Blanket

Bandana Tote Bag with Lining

Beach Towel Bag

Bottle Bag

Christmas Stocking

Circle Pillow

Sofa or Bed Caddy

Denim Bag

Denim Drawstring Bag

Dinner Placemat

Drawstring Bag

Dress up your jeans

Gathered Apron

Glasses Case

Goodie Bags

Hair Scrunchie

Simple Skirt

Lap Desk

Neck Pillow

Painted Tote Bag

Patchwork Skirt

Patchwork Tote Bag

Pillow with Tie Front

Pillow with Trim

Pocket Purse

Quilted Pot Holder

Snack Baggie

Stuffed Ball

Tablecloth

Library Bag

Tshirt Drawstring Bag

Triangle Patchwork Pillow

Felt Toothfairy Pillow

Stuffed Animal

Bookmark

Level 4 Moderate Sewing Projects

Sewing with elastic, using an iron, gathering, & sewing with patterns

Applique Shirt

Bath Mitt

Binder Cover

Christmas Cone Ornament

Bread Cloth

Cloth Napkins

Cloth Basket

Easy sew curtains

Headband

Simple Shorts

Simple Pants

Jean Skirt

Pillowcase Skirt

Placemat with Pocket

Reversible Headband

Shirt to Dress

Shirt to Shorts

Tshirt Skirt

Wall Hanging

Photo Album Cover

Level 5 Intermediate Sewing Projects

Learning to design, sew buttonholes, zippers, using a SNAP press, & Serger

Mini Bag with Snaps

Easy Box

Zipper Bag

How to Sew a Buttonhole

Serger Skills

With young children handsewing, I mark the felt with a pencil to show where the needle goes in and out. It helps them get the stitch length right.

When they start sewing on a machine, they all begin by using paper for "fabric", with no thread in the bobbin or needle. We use some practice papers that have lines to follow - straight, wavy, zigzag, squares, and a maze. They get a "driver's license" after they have finished the pages.

My dd will be learning to sew when she gets her machine for Christmas. She already has been doing a combination of hand sewing and gluing or tying doll clothes for a couple years. I am so excited to see what she comes up with with a machine.

Me too! I'm so excited to give my dd(10) her new sewing machine for Christmas! She has been busy all week hand stitching felt/embroidery floss mini-stuffed animals.

My oldest is 8 and was reading American Girl books this summer. one mentioned quilting and she wanted to learn! MIL got her some fabric and showed her how to outline the things on the fabric. She has a lot of trouble with gettign the thread in knots or other things that I have to help her with but she's getting better with practice! I crochet and do cross stitch so she sees me doing a lot of these things and wants to try them out too.I like some of the ideas here though! They might be easier for her with just starting out.

Sharing nice sewing ideas is the best way to keep motivated to have great fun on projects.

If you don't have spare fabric, then using scrap cards are good for beginners who are learning to sew, Your child can learn to hand stitch or machine stitch. Learn to operate the speed of the machine pedal and have fun trying different stitches for machine embroidery. Try applique designs of your choice, using different stitch lengths & widths. Make collage cards using various household scraps (ribbons, beads, strings, tapes etc).

This card (below) is simple - just cut out a heart shape and sew zigzag stitch around the heart on to another card.

Tip: Glue the heart shape card on to the background card to stop it from slipping.

sewn-card.jpg

stitched+flowers.jpg

Try stitching a collage with hand made paper!

Orange+butterfly.jpg

Click on the rest of the images to see the patterns

pink-beaded-flower-card.jpg

Free Bead Pattern

fr5.jpg

Free String Art:

fr06_string_art_boat.jpg

Free Collage Card Patterns

f_08cards.jpg

This is my DD's first attempt at sewing a doll's dress using scrap material from my old dress:

1x.JPG

It's an Indian Anar Kali 'churidar' dress with legging style trousers.

This inspired me to help my DD's to sew a simple (halter) doll's dresses. This was my rough attempt:

dolldressxs.JPG

I showed this to my children who got very excited and wanted to make one for their dolls. At first, I bought them some fabric.

Next, we measured how long the dress would be and drafted a pattern:

Doll%27sDressPattern.jpg

(Single sheet of fabric)

For the width, we took the full hip measurement, and doubled it as we wanted the waist to be shirred. The length was taken from under the arms to the feet, leaving some fabric for hemming. The lace was sewn on first. The children shirred 0.5 cm below the lace at the chest. Then shirred 4 rows at the waist. (However, I think the result would have been better if we continued shirring from the chest to the waist). Finally the two side lengths were stitched and the halter neck lace was hand sewn on.

The children have learnt a few skills whilst using the sewing machine. They did a small competition on who can thread the machine the fastest, which helped speed things up ;). Each got prizes e.g trimmings & lace for their dolls'dresses.

They have learnt how to:

• Take body (doll) measurements.
  • Draft a pattern on paper.
  • Lay out, pin, draw using a chalk & cut fabric using a pattern
  • Thread a sewing machine within 3 minutes!
  • Wind a bobbin.
  • Wind an elastic thread on bobbin
  • Shirring technique
  • Tighten & loosen top tension and bobbin case tension.
  • Use stitch width & lengths
  • Use different needle positions
  • Make a shirred, summer dress.
  • Use machine stitches, zigzag & straight & reverse stitching
  • Hand stitches, straight, basting/tacking stitch
  • Stitch lace on fabric
  • Open stitches using a seam ripper
  • Work as a team & solve problems
  • Use a digital camera, take photos.

The end result:

x3.jpgx2.jpg

Finally, the write up. :) I hope they can put this all together in a folder /lap book, so they don't forget!

DD13 took sewing lessons several times when we lived in the city. She hasn't sewn in years though, I am sure she has forgotten all she had once known. THis thread was a good reminder to get back on teaching her(or finding someone more knowledgable than me to do so). We will have to go back to basics with handsewing before moving back onto the machine. Actually I made her a pillowcase for xmas, I should get her to make another one herself, very easy even handsewing it(which is what I did)

We have really enjoyed this book - http://www.amazon.com/Sewing-School-Projects-Kids-Will/dp/1603425780/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356539011&sr=8-1&keywords=sewing+school

I found it at the library first and we ended up buying it. I think that basic sewing kit that Amazon suggests to buy with it is a great deal too. (I bought stuff seperately at Joanns and spent almost double) The authors also have a second book coming out soon with machine sewing.