Menu

Links to Web Sites for Non-College Bound High Schoolers?I

I have been trying to search for links for information pertaining to high school students who would be heading toward two year trade or technical training post-high school. It seems there is very little info out there for advice for homeschooling students that are not college bound. Can anyone steer me to info such as scope and sequence for trades bound high schoolers, online courses for post high school, apprenticeships, etc.?

Thanks!

Cindy

I would contact a school that has a similar program to the one your kid is interested in and aks for the requirements. Dd 22 went to Cosmetology school and they required the GED, but didn't really care about course work in high school.

dd25 went to college but had traveled extensively before hand- several colleges gave her money based on her travel/$ raising, and only got the transcript and school administered ACT for their own files.

Thomas Edison is the go-to school for alternative ed post h.s. You can google them.

Have you read The New Global Student, The Art of Non-conformity or anything by Grace Llewelyn?

If you want someone to chat with about it, lmk.

I have been trying to search for links for information pertaining to high school students who would be heading toward two year trade or technical training post-high school. It seems there is very little info out there for advice for homeschooling students that are not college bound. Can anyone steer me to info such as scope and sequence for trades bound high schoolers, online courses for post high school, apprenticeships, etc.?

Thanks!

Cindy

I found this section of my local district's website by searching "electrical apprenticeship program". I'm sure that a great deal of it is specific to Northern Virginia, but it might give you ideas of state agencies or local trade organizations to look for in your area.

ACE is the local Adult Continuing Education program. It does some classes that would be work enhancing, but also classes on cooking, foreign language and business legal issues. In our area, it seems to be run through the school district, not the community college. I often see the course booklets on display at our local library, so you might want to ask at the info desk of your library for something similar.

If you click on curriculum under apprenticeship, you can see what each program consists of. They give some specifics about subjects and hours, which might give some insight into what levels of math/science ability an apprentice needs.

Another idea is to contact the local unions and ask them about apprenticeship programs. In one place we lived, the trade union had math tutoring to help folks be ready for the apprenticeship program test.

Hope this gets you started.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I find it so curious that there is relatively little in the homeschooling arena that is trades oriented, rather than college oriented. I have found stuff in dribs and drabs, but I had hoped that there would be more diversity in curriculum offerings, or web sites with more direction for homeschooling families of kids who are not going to college. Our public education system is so highly focused on school to college, and trades programs are being dropped right and left, leaving kids with little resources for training in high school. I guess I had hoped someone would have pulled something together thoughtfully for the homeschooling arena. Hmmm...maybe that's an idea...

Cindy