Menu

Rightstart Math question

The programs bill level B as 1st grade, and C as 2nd, D as 3rd, and E as 4th. However, we took it slowly and will finish up E midway through 5th grade. It *is* advanced, IMO. At the same time, my child is doing Singapore 4, and many people say that Singapore is a year ahead (i.e., Singapore 4 is 5th grade math).

Don't rush it. There is no need to do this program at "grade level." Stick with ability level and the pacing your child is able to handle.

My ds8 just finished level B & his 2nd grade year. It is technically a year behind (as Mama Lynx said) but it's fine. He's also doing Singapore's Challenging Word Problems, level 1, and flying through those with no problem.

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone in where you're at in RS. :)

Kelsy

Don't worry about grade levels with RightStart. The program is advanced. My 10yo dd, who will be going into 6th grade next year, is in level D!! And she is a bright child (Reads at adult level, tested with gifted IQ at age 6)!! She is not gifted with math, but she does "okay" and this level still challenges her at times, so we are plugging along. I do want to finish D, get through E next year, and start level G in 7th grade (there is no level F) and try to have that finished by the end of 8th grade so we can begin VideoText in 9th, so we sometimes double-up on lessons. So anyway, you are fine where you are. My 7yo is a different story. She's in level C and doing great!!

RS is advance. I just looked at level B a couple of weeks ago, in preparation to teach my first grader this August. While looking at those, I have a feeling that may be he won't 'get' some of them this year. A typical first grade scope and sequence for math is just:

- mastering math facts 1-10 (add, substract).

- place value up to 100.

- some addition/substract up to 100.

- basic geometry, clock, money.

RS goes v. advance with clock, money and geography. But the real meat is the addition, which I think is second grade work. I mean four digit addition is basically second grade work. Also some of the mental math requires more maturity than what a typical first grader capable of.

Dr.Cotter said, once a child finishes RS geometry, it is capable of prealgebra program like VideoText. If everything is on schedule, then this will be at year 6 which is pretty early. So I guess, even if we're one year late, it's still okay .

Dian

Well the way RS puts it is that level B covers all the state standards for 1st grade, a lot of the state standards for 2nd, and even a bit of the 3rd gr state standards. Level C covers all the state standards for 2nd grade, a lot of the state standards for 3rd, and even a bit of 4th. And so on. Every curriculum has its own scope and sequence, so I suggest you plow forward, looking for understanding and nailing those math facts. The grade level thing evens out in the end. Many people completing level E are able to go into BJU6, no problem.

I had the impression that they used the designations of A, B, C, D, E so people wouldn't get so hung up on which grade went with which book.

We're never "on track" with where we should be according to grade level. But, really, once you've done all of RightStart you're ready to do a bit of middle school math, then plunge into Algebra.

I feel better about our position after reading this thread! Due to switching curriculums and "life" happening, we are also going to be starting 1/3 of the way through Level B this year for "2nd grade". I have been trying not to really assign grade levels to things and my boys, but I also don't want to fall behind our plan...and I have. BUT, I am not going to worry about it. I am going to just move forward. Thanks!