Menu

The Hobbit was AWESOME

Heather in Neverland

We were planning on seeing it next week, but I'm curious to know about the filming. I've heard reports that both the 3D and regular versions of the movie can cause some motion sickness and migraines due to the way it was filmed. My DS13 and I both have issues with migraines; did you notice anything that might support these claims? We've been planning to see it for months but now I'm a little nervous. DS gets SEVERE migraines.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it though. It looks amazing!

We a saw it yesterday afternoon with our teen lit club and we really enjoyed it. I loved how some of the familar settings looked the same, but slightly different. I love how they used the same musical themes, but the variations made it feel different. I believe it is only the 3D version that is has the dizzying effects. We saw it without 3D (as a member of our party cannot watch 3D movies due to her depth perception issues) and no one reported any difficult effects.

Maybe I should be embarrassed by this, but I have never even read the book. I plan to soon. Would seeing the movie ruin the book for me? I could hold off on seeing the movie.

Not at all. If you've read the book, you can go in feeling certain that eventually it will end. North of eight hours is a looooong time to see a slight (but thoroughly delightful) children's book played out. :tongue_smilie:

We saw it in 3D today simply because our one UltraScreen was 3D only (2D was on much smaller screens). 24fps, not the 48 that can cause nausea. I really could not tell it was in 3D much until the flying eagles at the end.

This was my first 3D film outside of Captain EO and the Star Tours ride at D'Land. Since I was able to wear the 3D glasses over my own glasses with no problem there, I figured I'd be good to go for the Hobbit - and I was :-)

It just didn't add much. I saw more 3Dishness in the previews for other films!

Maybe I should be embarrassed by this, but I have never even read the book. I plan to soon. Would seeing the movie ruin the book for me? I could hold off on seeing the movie.

I haven't read it either, and we went to the midnight show. I have to say I'm glad I haven't read it because I don't know what's going to happen, and I'm not upset about changes from the book. I plan to read it as part of ds's literature later. I think I'll wait until all 3 movies are out, though.

ds17 saw it at midnight. He said it was fine, but even though 3 films will make more money, he thought it could have been done more thoughtfully in 1. He wasn't impressed by the film score. That's ds, though. He's not one for the whiz-bang blockbusters. I don't think dh will see it, as the LoTR films (for the most part) made him gag. (I'd better add that he knows the books almost by heart. You simply can't have a Return of the King without the glass ball thingie - just makes the entire story pointless.)

I highly doubt it, given the reviews. Of course, I haven't seen the movie, just not sure if kiddo can sit still and not comment for 3 hours.

We just got back. My boys loved it. Even my six year old enjoyed it, but I did have to cover their eyes several times.

We saw in 48frames and I am not sure what to think. It certainly didn't make any of us sick and took 10 minutes or so to get used to, but it seemed a bit too much. It felt like I was there on the set. There were some increadible scenes made much better with 48fr, but there were other moments when it didn't look like a movie, a bit artificial.

It ends right after they get rescued by eagles.

Oh, the riddles in the dark scene is INCREADIBLE! Looooooved Gollum!

We saw it yesterday but in 2d so can't comment on motion sickness. It was awesome! I was pretty disappointed when it ended. Loved the Gollum cave. Did anybody pick out Peter Jackson? I know he appears briefly and in this one it was in the first 6-7 minutes but none of us could spot him. We always have fun trying to find him.

We loved it as well!

We were really looking forward to it - ended up seeing it at 11:20pm Friday night (we had a Christmas party in the evening and I didn't think we could make it to a 9-9:30 showing. Turns out we probably could have, as we were both a little bored at the party. :tongue_smilie: Oh, well.) and the kids spent the night at my ILs.

It made me want to go back and watch all my extended versions of the LoTR movies. :D

I haven't read the book, and I was planning on reading it with the kids next year but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't wait. Then again, I'm not one to mind about differences between books and movies (unless they're really, really bad lol) so we still may go ahead with it.

DH has read the book, and he actually said he wishes he would have seen the movie first. He saw the LoTR movies before he read the books, and the differences didn't bother him. This one, he kept going, 'Well, that's not in the book...' etc. He still really enjoyed the movie, but thinks he might have enjoyed it more had he not read the book just a few months ago. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'll be the voice of dissent. Although I agree the movie in its own right was good, we all came out saying..."well it was loosely based on The Hobbit." My son and I had just finished reading the book and the movie went so far off from the book that eventually I just gave up in trying to think about what was supposed to happen next.

****************hopefully no spoilers below but you may not want to read*********************************

For example in the book Bilbo was not excited and happy to join the quest. He was sitting to breakfast when Gandalf urged him on There were no Orcs, Radagask, Saroman. The wargs were sentient in the book and not just pets. The elves in the film were obviously nothing like the singing playful elves in the book. It was the dwarves who wanted to go check out the fire lit by the Ogres. In the book, Bilbo did not try to run back to the Elven city in the cave but actually warned the dwarves. Gandalf didn't perform the outstanding magical feats and the use of butterflies. The goblins were trying to burn the dwarves and Bilbo in the trees. The Eagles came of their own will because they saw that something was going on.

There was just soooo much in the move that was nothing like the book. Essentially I believe that Peter Jackson wrote a prequel to the Lord of the Rings movies.

I don't think dh will see it, as the LoTR films (for the most part) made him gag. (I'd better add that he knows the books almost by heart. You simply can't have a Return of the King without the glass ball thingie - just makes the entire story pointless.)

Don't take this the wrong way, but...I think I love your dh. :laugh: So few people understand why I cannot bear to watch LOTR. Ask your dh what he thinks about what was done to Faramir.

We went yesterday afternoon. I don't know...this was the first movie dd9 had trouble making it through. I had such a headache by the time it was over it was hard to tell whether I enjoyed the movie or not. (bathroom, hungry, thirsty, is it over, time to go home yet....you get the picture) I realized this morning it was the excitement of Christmas that was getting to her. She went to bed as soon as we got home, woke up, and was great all day.

The movie seemed to really pick up about 1/4 of the way through...I did enjoy what I got to see!

We saw it today, in I max 3-D....I was worried about headaches because I never watch 3-D, much less in i max.

I have only seen parts of the LOTR movies, and I ended up enjoying the movie. So much, that I willing

to watch the LOTR movies on New Years. Our youngest son was just fine-only had to use the restroom twice. :thumbup1:

Okay, I'll be the voice of dissent. Although I agree the movie in its own right was good, we all came out saying..."well it was loosely based on The Hobbit." My son and I had just finished reading the book and the movie went so far off from the book that eventually I just gave up in trying to think about what was supposed to happen next.

Scoot over. I'm joining you on the dissent bench.

We just got back. Ugh.

Scoot over. I'm joining you on the dissent bench.

We just got back. Ugh.

We weren't crazy about it either. DS thought it was okay, but nothing super special. I, on the other hand, slept through about half of it because I was a bit bored. I've never read the books so it had nothing to do with the adaptation.

We really liked it, and I think DH and the kids are going to go see it again. Some of the changes we thought were good -- like showing it as a prequel to LOTR, merging in some of the Silmarilion stuff -- and some of them we weren't sure we liked. I thought it, for better or for worse, obviously played to the LOTR movie fans. Overall, we felt pretty positively about it. We took 10yo DD (who actually was the most critical of it, of all the kids, but she remembers the book very well, and I expect that she had an idea in her head of how it should look), 7yo DS1, and 4yo DS2. The 4yo sat through the whole thing and wasn't scared. (However, I'd be cautious about taking most 4yo to see it; this one is particularly adventurous and not easily scared.)

7yo DS1 did feel kind of icky after it was over, nauseated. However, he also had a cold and was a bit congested, and he also hadn't felt like eating that day, so I suspect he was hungry/low blood sugar. So I don't know whether it was the movie speed or other factors or a combination. He wants to try seeing it again, though.

Overall, we're looking forward to the next one, and I'm glad to have gotten to see it in the theater, as well as with the kids the first time they saw it; DH usually takes them to movies while I stay home with the baby, but for this one, we took my dad, who is a huge Hobbit fan, with us and my mom stayed with the baby.

The kids enjoyed it...the adults not so much. Honestly it seemed to be Fellowship of the Ring the Bilbo version. I will say that I am looking forward to the next two installments. It is the second 2/3rds of the book that I LOVE.

I did love both Bilbo and Thorin.

I was originally excited to see it, but every single person I know whose opinion I respect about films told me it was downright dull and an embarrassment to the book. So... I'm waiting for it to come to DVD and we'll decide for ourselves then.

I wish I had waited. I love the LOTR movies......but I fell asleep in the middle of the Hobbit. I have NEVER in my life been so bored during a movie that I fell asleep...not ever. We went with a large family group, everyone felt that the effort to stretch 1 book into 3 movies left a lot of DULLness to wade through......I still can't believe I fell asleep, but it happened.

I saw it tonight. I was bored with the beginning. I read the book back in highschool (and hated it) so couldn't really remember what happened next. I did like some of the scenes but it just didn't have the magic (or eye candy) that Lotr did.

I did love the mountain trolls though - did anyone else pick up all the Australian slang they were using? It was totally worth seeing the movie just to see the "bogan trolls".

We saw it a week ago. I LOVED the book growing up and am re-reading the book now. Leaving the movie made me want to read the book again. (I DON'T like the lord of the rings books -- though I've waded through them 3 times trying to figure out what all my friends love above them. I do like the movies and prefer the new ending, thank you very much)

Yes, there are differences. But I can see where they got things from in my re-read and I love both and am eager to go see the movie again. My husband thinks the way they have put the white orc into the movie is actually going to make the end hold together better than it does in the book. (so he thinks it improves things) We saw the 2D version of the movie after seeing a lot of worrying reviews of 3D. There were a LOT of previews. Maybe 20 minutes? I was like, "Get on with the movie already!"

ds17 saw it at midnight. He said it was fine, but even though 3 films will make more money, he thought it could have been done more thoughtfully in 1. He wasn't impressed by the film score. That's ds, though. He's not one for the whiz-bang blockbusters. I don't think dh will see it, as the LoTR films (for the most part) made him gag. (I'd better add that he knows the books almost by heart. You simply can't have a Return of the King without the glass ball thingie - just makes the entire story pointless.)

But wait....RoftheK DID have the glass ball thingie (Palantir), right? Remember Denathor had one, and Aragorn showed himself to Sauron via a Palantir. Am I making this up? :tongue_smilie:

The Hobbit was my negotiation movie. I sat through it - we get to go see Les Miserables next.

I think I would have done better with it if I'd known that it didn't cover the whole freaking thing. It got up to Gollum's cave (about the only part I remember from when I saw the animated version in first grade. Didn't like it then, either), and I was really starting to worry about how much was left.

We actually had to stop for a reel change in the middle of the movie.