Menu

Pregnancy/miscarriage worries

FromA2Z

Hi! This is my 1st time posting on the chat board and I was hoping for some hugs & advice. I'm about to turn 40, and I wanted to try for one more baby. I got pregnant in Aug but had a m/c in October. My dh and I hadn't decided if we were going to try again. My period was late (based on the one cycle I had post m/c), I took a pregnancy test and it was positive! However, two days later I went to the dr's and took a urine test and they said it was negative. (They require you to come in and take a pregnancy test before scheduling an appt for the doctor). I went right out and bought another test and it was also positive.

My problem is that I'm having a hard time getting into baby mode. I just feel like I'm going to lose this baby too. I finally got to an OK place when I got that negative result, which has got me stressed again. My dh thinks I'm over analyzing what was probably a bad test but I'm worried that my hormone levels are not right. I need to find some way to believe that everything's going to be OK. I think it also has to do with the fact that it took awhile to feel not pregnant after my m/c and once I did, now I am again.

My other problem, the nurse said I had to wait two weeks and if I didn't get my period, I could come back in to take another test. But my Dr. told me after my m/c that if I got pregnant again to come in right away for high risk care. Should I go back and demand to make an appt. And do early appointments really make any difference? If you read all that, Thanks I just needed a place to unload since we're not divulging IRL.

I was in such a state of disbelief my test was positive, I did a lot of reading up on them.

different brands of tests vary in their sensitivity. (and just becasue they advertise as being very sensitive doesn't mean they are. I found a site online that actually listed what amoung of HcG each brand will register.) morning urine has a higher concentration of HcG than later in the day. false positives are rare. (false negatives can be considered downright common)

for your second home test, did you use the same brand or a different brand? If you are doing everything you can to care for yourself, I don't think a couple weeks will make much difference at this stage. If you were going to m/c - there isn't anything they can do to stop it from happening.

oh - I'm sorry to add, but should. one of the circumstances of false positives is having recently (within 3 mos) having a m/c. (as there can still be HcG in the system.) so, wait a couple weeks and test again. that doesn't mean your test is false or that the dr's is correct.

I think early appointments make a difference... or can. If your progesterone levels are off you can start taking progesterone and it could help save a pregnancy. I had two early miscarriages and my OB ran blood tests right away on me this time and found low progesterone levels. He started me on progesterone right away and I will be 16w this weekend.

I would ask them to do HCG testing at least. My OB sent me for two of those before I event went to see him.

And do early appointments really make any difference?

No. None. They can do absolutely nothing for you.

You can ask for early progesterone support, but there is no evidence of this helping. However, going in early will raise your chances of a D&C, which can cause infertility, miscarriage, and premature birth with viable babies.

I have had at least 7 miscarriages.

Why progesterone support hasn't been shown to help: In most m/cs, the baby struggles, progesterone drops, baby dies, progesterone drops through the floor, you miscarry. Progesterone is overwhelmingly the effect, not the cause. If you have a luteal phase disorder, progesterone might help.

Well after 2 early losses this past year and finding out my progesterone was low I'm going to go with progesterone helped me keep this pregnancy.I would absolutely at least ask for the blood work to be done to determine IF you are actually pregnant and if your have low progesterone. All of my high risk OBs recommended progesterone for me.

.I would absolutely at least ask for the blood work to be done to determine IF you are actually pregnant and if your have low progesterone. All of my high risk OBs recommended progesterone for me.

I agree. and natural progestrone can't hurt, so if it may help I say go for it.

My last was born healthy at age 40. However, I had two m/c after him. It wasn't until after my last one the dr recommended progestrone and I educated myself on it a bit. I didn't get pg again, so idk if it would have helped. i would, however, have used it in case it did help.