Menu

If you are using natural remedies for perimenopause symptoms, can you tell me what is working well for you?

dsmith

Over the last 2 months, my perimenopause symptoms have become almost unbearably worse. I am going in for blood work after Christmas, but I need some relief! I have put in an order for high lignan flax seed oil, and some natural yam based progesterone cream. These were recommended by a friend. Anything else that could help? My worst symptoms are extreme hot flashes, hitting about every 10 minutes all day and night, insomnia, headaches, and moodiness.

Susun Weed's book, New Menopausal Years, http://www.amazon.com/New-Menopausal-Years-Alternative-Approaches/dp/1888123036 has a ton of good info in it on herbs as well as diet and lifestyle.

If you're interested in alternative treatments, it's an excellent resource. I don't have my copy handy, but the recommendation to take motherwort tincture for anxiety is spot-on. Black Cohosh tincture is good for hot flashes -- the powdered capsules aren't as effective.

Also, investigate Traditional Chinese Medicine -- not only herbal remedies, but Qi Gong, acupressure, and diet.

Honestly, the "magic bullets" of using certain supplements hasn't helped as much as a more integrated approach that includes diet, exercise, and meditation.

I can't give you specifics because i've been paying far more attention to my asd son's supplementation, but good vitamin supplementation has helped me. I seem to be low in b6 and so have some anxiety that got worse after I skipped a cycle. I did some reading up on which form of b6 is most absorbable "p 5 p" needless to say, that isn't the form used in most combination vitamin supplements (or even most strictly b6 supplements). most use a cheaper version that your body then must convert. then I read liver problems make it harder for the body to convert to the absorbed form. I'm ordering the p 5 p.

It's been really annoying to find I really need to pay attention to the quality of brands and the form of the vitamins. 'cause there's a difference.

one thing I was reading in using alternative therapies that "replace" missing estrogen is it just creates it's own problems.

Susun Weed's book, New Menopausal Years, http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/1888123036 has a ton of good info in it on herbs as well as diet and lifestyle.

If you're interested in alternative treatments, it's an excellent resource. I don't have my copy handy, but the recommendation to take motherwort tincture for anxiety is spot-on. Black Cohosh tincture is good for hot flashes -- the powdered capsules aren't as effective.

Also, investigate Traditional Chinese Medicine -- not only herbal remedies, but Qi Gong, acupressure, and diet.

Honestly, the "magic bullets" of using certain supplements hasn't helped as much as a more integrated approach that includes diet, exercise, and meditation.

That's good to know, thanks!!

Read this book-What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Pre-Menopause by Dr. John Lee. It saved me!

also a tip-don't take soy til you know what your problem is based on the book. It is a phytoestrogen so if your estrogen is too high (as mine was) it can actually do the opposite of what you want. And you will read in the book, but blood testing is NOT very effective for diagnosing, you need to do saliva testing. Anyway, it's all in the book-really helped me! His website is helpful too. I've seen the book recommended many times on these boards. Dr. John Lee is a pioneer in the field and very well-respected.

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! I've been out all day and am just now sitting down to go through these. My mil also suggested I get my thyroid checked since my symptoms got dramatically worse recently, so I guess I will ask the doctor about that too. Is the saliva test standard, or will I have to push my doctor for it or deal with a specialty lab?