Menu

ipad owners - generation differences

AimeeM

I am looking to buy an ipad for my husband for xmas. I know I do not want an ipad 1 and I know I do not want a 4th generation (it's too new; not enough reviews yet to risk a purchase that large, imo).

For those who own the ipad2 or the ipad3, can you tell me about them? I haven't seen great reviews on the ipad3, so I'm wondering if the 2nd generation would be a better bet.

I am looking to buy an ipad for my husband for xmas. I know I do not want an ipad 1 and I know I do not want a 4th generation (it's too new; not enough reviews yet to risk a purchase that large, imo).

For those who own the ipad2 or the ipad3, can you tell me about them? I haven't seen great reviews on the ipad3, so I'm wondering if the 2nd generation would be a better bet.

Dh just bought me a IPad 3 for our anniversary. I love it. I have no problem with it. He didn't get the 4 because the charging cord is different than our Ipos stuff and he knows that kind of thing drives me nuts. I have 32 gig if that is important to know.

The iPad 3 has the Retina Screen, while the iPad 2 doesn't. There is a difference when viewed side by side. We're happy with the 2, and if you get it reburbished from Apple, it's the same as buying a new one. The 3 has a better camera than the 2, and while I've tried to take pictures with the 2, it's still not as convenient as using a small digital camera. You should see how much I carry in my bag.

What I would consider is the storage amount if you have spare cash and can't decide between the 2 or 3. I would get the 2 with 64 GB over a 3 with 16GB or 32GB, just based on my own experience.

What does wifi/3G mean?

I have an iPad with only wifi capability, which means if I'm outside, I'm only able to access the Internet if there is a wifi connection, such as in a library, coffee shop, or any place where it provides free wifi.

But if you buy an iPad with 3G, you can buy a data plan where you can access the Internet even without wifi. Data plan fees vary depending upon the usage, I think. A 3G iPad does cost much more. I would have considered this if I traveled a lot and needed access. I don't have an iPhone, so that woud have been useful. However, I've managed to get free wifi almost everywhere.

I have an iPad with only wifi capability, which means if I'm outside, I'm only able to access the Internet if there is a wifi connection, such as in a library, coffee shop, or any place where it provides free wifi.

But if you buy an iPad with 3G, you can buy a data plan where you can access the Internet even without wifi. Data plan fees vary depending upon the usage, I think. A 3G iPad does cost much more. I would have considered this if I traveled a lot and needed access. I don't have an iPhone, so that woud have been useful. However, I've managed to get free wifi almost everywhere.

All of the ipads have standard wifi, right?

If the 3G is the only difference, then he doesn't need that; he frequents places with wifi (Barnes and Noble, Panera, etc).

I could just ask him, since he plays with computers for a living, lol - but I'm hoping this will be a surprise. Too many questions and he'll be on to me.

My parents have an iPad 1, we have a 2, and a friend has a 3. The 2 is much lighter weight than the 1, so it is much more comfortable to use while lying down or having to hold it. The 3 isn't much lighter than the 2. The 2 is definitely better than the 1, but I'm not sure paying extra for a 3 over a 2 is worth it.

the 3G is like a smart phone - you need to pay the expensive data plan to cover browsing when you are not in a wifi area. If he has a smart phone already its really not necessary, or if hes' mostly places w wifi. I only occasionally wish I had 3G, but then i realize we would not pay the data plan, so it would be useless. So many places have wifi now! i have a 2 . . . i only start to worry if the upgrades to all the apps will start to not be compatible with the 2, faster than with the 3?

My parents have an iPad 1, we have a 2, and a friend has a 3. The 2 is much lighter weight than the 1, so it is much more comfortable to use while lying down or having to hold it. The 3 isn't much lighter than the 2. The 2 is definitely better than the 1, but I'm not sure paying extra for a 3 over a 2 is worth it.

I have a 2, my mom has a 3. Honestly, the difference in the screen... yeah, you can see it, but the 2 looks good. And who uses the camera that much? I mean, obviously if you have a choice, I'd go with the 3, but I don't think the generation difference is that great.

I have been researching iPads, and this is consistently what I have read.....that the upgrade to the 3 was not significant enough to justify the difference in price.