Menu

Creative gift giving (how to GIVE the gift, not the gift itself) :)

k2bdeutmeyer

I have a friend who is giving her daughter a desperately desired iPod touch for Christmas. She was asking me for ideas on how to give it to her daughter that A) it would be a TOTAL surprise and that B ) even once she opens it, she still thinks she's not getting it??? I told her that I would come ask the most creative and smartest people I know :thumbup:

Basically, she wants her daughter to feel disappointed that she didn't get the one thing she wanted the most only to find out that she actually DID. Something more creative than the different boxes wrapped inside boxes, etc, because she said if it's something like that or a scavenger hunt, she'll know instantly that it was something she wanted really bad & is probably the iPod. She wants more shock factor.

Ideas?

I once gave a gift in a box of chocolates. They were special chocolates (not super-fancy though) and I managed to cut open the plastic wrapper and re-close it so it looked unopened. I took out some of the chocolates and put the gift in the space. Friend liked the chocolates but then was surprised when she opened the box to share them and saw the real gift inside.

I once gave a gift in a box of chocolates. They were special chocolates (not super-fancy though) and I managed to cut open the plastic wrapper and re-close it so it looked unopened. I took out some of the chocolates and put the gift in the space. Friend liked the chocolates but then was surprised when she opened the box to share them and saw the real gift inside.

Ooh! That's a great idea! I wonder if she could find a box of candy that is deep enough to fit the iPod box in? Her DD asked for candy on her list too, so it would be perfect.

My dad completely fooled me at Christmas when I was ten years old; he told me that the big box in the corner of his bedroom was a Hoover with all the fancy attachments, and swore me to secrecy so Mom would never suspect what a fabulous Christmas present she was getting. I ran around for weeks feeling very important and avoiding the big box, delighted that I was considered big enough to keep a secret and suprise Mom. On Christmas, he asked me to "help" her unwrap it, on the grounds that I would be using it too. I was literally speechless to find a much-wanted dollhouse inside the "Hoover" box. We have some great pictures of that moment--I don't know who has happier, me or Dad!

If she can find a box for some other very nice, but not asked for, gift, like a doll or CD player or something, that would be great. Not a toaster -- that would be a dead giveaway. I like the idea of a candy box too.

I think this is brilliant.....and might just be the perfect solution. Even better if it's a box that maybe she wouldn't open right up. Hmm.....makes me want to figure out a way to do something like this with one of DD's gifts, but I don't think any of her gifts are that desperately wanted (she wanted an iPod touch too and a North Face jacket....and that's just out of our reach this year).

My dad completely fooled me at Christmas when I was ten years old; he told me that the big box in the corner of his bedroom was a Hoover with all the fancy attachments, and swore me to secrecy so Mom would never suspect what a fabulous Christmas present she was getting. I ran around for weeks feeling very important and avoiding the big box, delighted that I was considered big enough to keep a secret and suprise Mom. On Christmas, he asked me to "help" her unwrap it, on the grounds that I would be using it too. I was literally speechless to find a much-wanted dollhouse inside the "Hoover" box. We have some great pictures of that moment--I don't know who has happier, me or Dad!

This story made me smile so much! I love it!

She could put it in clothes in a pocket. Probably best if the pocket zips closed though so it doesn't drop onto the floor. Or get her a purse and put it in a pocket in the purse. Or sew a pocket onto a scarf and hide it in there. She could then use the scarf to carry it.

Apparently I like hiding things in pockets...

Does the friend have an iPod speaker or any way to make the iPod play a song out loud? They make really nice portable speakers for them these days, or they can be hooked to a laptop, PC, or stereo. I might not wrap it at all, but wait until all the gifts were opened and then start the iPod playing Blue Christmas, nice and loud...maybe even from her room, if possible. Someone would have to load that though... Anyway, all the confused folks could go in search of the music and it could have a simple Christmas tag and bow on it.

Does the friend have an iPod speaker or any way to make the iPod play a song out loud? They make really nice portable speakers for them these days, or they can be hooked to a laptop, PC, or stereo. I might not wrap it at all, but wait until all the gifts were opened and then start the iPod playing Blue Christmas, nice and loud...maybe even from her room, if possible. Someone would have to load that though... Anyway, all the confused folks could go in search of the music and it could have a simple Christmas tag and bow on it.

I don't know, but I don't think so.