Menu

Rooster bit 7 yo dd...

Is it normal for roosters to bite or peck at someone? I hope this isn't abnormally aggressive behavior or he may be destined for the ol' stewing pot. :001_smile:

Are neutered roosters less aggressive?

Those are called "capons" aren't they?

Is it normal for roosters to bite or peck at someone? I hope this isn't abnormally aggressive behavior or he may be destined for the ol' stewing pot. :001_smile:

Stew away, girl -

Our friends' rooster was an aggressive nightmare. He had a meeting with Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson.

And . . . .I"m waiting for the punchline to the capon joke!!!

:lurk5:

Yes! We had a ferocious rooster that would attack our children. Make sure to not let your young children too close. Some roosters will jump in the air and try to spur your children in the eyes. They have spurs on the backs of their "ankles." There have been children who have had their eyes spurred out!

Blessings,

Camy

What does a capon say?

Ok, I'll answer, since Myrtle is either *being* chicken or is off somewhere *eating* chicken... (Sorry, could not resist -- too good of a setup there.)

What does a capon say? He says, "Doodle doodle dooooooo!"

The answer is in white, just highlight it like you're going to copy it or something and it will show up.

Our 10 roosters are headed to the processing plant next Monday. Very typical behavior. I won't even go into the pen with them. I'm scared!

And no, we never intended to have 10 roosters. I wanted hens and eggs. :confused:

Janet

Ok, I'll answer, since Myrtle is either *being* chicken or is off somewhere *eating* chicken... (Sorry, could not resist -- too good of a setup there.)

What does a capon say? He says, "Doodle doodle dooooooo!"

The answer is in white, just highlight it like you're going to copy it or something and it will show up.

Conspicuous by its absence! LOL. Those nurses at work are going to love me tomarrow.

Hmmm....might be time to treat Mr. Rooster to a nice hot bath with onions and carrots. :D

~astrid (four hens, no roosters. The hens and I are very happy about that!)

Knock on wood, our rooster (1yo) is very nice. However, if he starts coming quickly after one of the kids, we've instructed them to turn around, hold their hands up in front of them and say "No, George" in a very firm voice. It seems to stop him in his tracks. You can also de-spur them, which frankly we should be doing because our poor hens are practically hairless!! George is an "active" rooster!

Hmmm....might be time to treat Mr. Rooster to a nice hot bath with onions and carrots. :D

~astrid (four hens, no roosters. The hens and I are very happy about that!)

Too funny....a bath....

The kids don't like it when I even mention eating a chicken to dh. Dh and I now can have our own code..."is the chicken ready for a bath?" LOL

I'm not brave enough to eat one of my own chickens yet but I'm getting there. I used to not even be able to think about it.

Knock on wood, our rooster (1yo) is very nice. However, if he starts coming quickly after one of the kids, we've instructed them to turn around, hold their hands up in front of them and say "No, George" in a very firm voice. It seems to stop him in his tracks. You can also de-spur them, which frankly we should be doing because our poor hens are practically hairless!! George is an "active" rooster!

Boy, you have pretty special hens if they had *hair* before George came along! :) :)

Cockerels (young male chickens less than a year old) - not unlike most members of the male species (;)) become more aggressive as they grow older and their hormones start to kick in. Often, they don't show their "true colors" until they are around a year, though some start much younger. I've had only one rooster (out of many attempts) that managed to behave himself well enough to stick around until he died of his own accord. The rest went on a date with Dumplin.