Menu

My 7 y/o dd wants more ART

momsuz123

What do you recommend? I have never done the Mark Kistler art series on the HSBC, have you? My 7 y/o wants my art and I am not sure how I want to pursue this yet. I have been so "focused" on getting everything else in that I kind of let that slide. Any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks!

What do you recommend? I have never done the Mark Kistler art series on the HSBC, have you? My 7 y/o wants my art and I am not sure how I want to pursue this yet. I have been so "focused" on getting everything else in that I kind of let that slide. Any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks!

We have Mark Kistlers....it is nice, but it's just drawing with pencil (basically copying what he draws with him giving tips on how to do things). If your 7 year old would like a variety more than pencil drawing....like watercolors, temperas, pastels, clay, markers, etc...then I'd recommend Home Art Studio. You can get that on HSBC right now too.

Take a look at these and tell me which ones fit your style:

Creativity Express (online subscription), Mark Kistler's Imagination Station (online videos and instruction, preview free samples), Meet the Masters (online but parent reads script for each lesson), Mike's Imagination Station (DVD set- get through HSBC for deal, drawing and crafts). Evan Moore art instruction book for you to teach.

I can maybe offer up other suggestions depending on what you and she like.

My dd loves art as well. We have been finishing up our Abeka art books (very simple). We are going to start Atelier and I am looking into this, that I actually read about on the forum. It is called Creativity Express and has a trial for two weeks that is $1.95. There are 16 lessons for $14.95, but they also have a family four-pack (don't think you'd need that yet from looking at your signature). I am going to let her do the Abeka book which she can basically do on her own, Atelier, and the Creativity Express. I know it sounds like a lot but she loves art! I am thinking of getting the Kistler drawing lessons from HSBC because she loves to draw, but I think I am going to try the two week trial with Creativity Express before I decide whether to get the Kistler program or not. I don't want to pay for a bunch of stuff we aren't going to use!

We're doing Home Art Studio for artsy-craftsy kind of art.

My 4 yr old loves to draw, but I didn't want to start Kistler's stuff yet ($) so I got 1-2-3 Draw from Amazon and it's right up our alley. We do it very informally, all of us sit down with sketch pads and work through a lesson (I have the animals & pets one since my girls are big animal lovers.) :)

I like How to Teach Art to Young Children (Evan Moor) and it's good, but a little dry (mostly elements/art theory type stuff). I've put it aside until later... but I do think it's worth doing at some point!

Next year I plan on keeping HAS, but adding in something a little more formal for drawing/sketching. Maybe Kistler. Maybe something else, IDK...

Seconding Discovering Great Artists. I used it with my oldest two several years ago and used parts of it sporadically with my youngers. After Christmas dd9 and ds6 will be using it every week, and I'm using it in the art class I teach at co-op. It is very versatile and can be used by children of all ages and skill level.

I teach my kids drawing because I do think it's important- we start with Bruce McIntyre's Drawing Textbook and then books on perspective by Mark Kistler. Draw Write Now is good and Usborne has some good ones too. I like Pinterest for ideas and my new BIG find is Schoolhouse Teacher's.com. (my review here). They have Everyday Easels under their Dailies and it's a cool study with projects based on a work of art.

We're using MTM this year, but dabble a little bit with Mark Kistler, one of the CLE ArtPacs, and Atelier. We used Atelier around K/1st and she really enjoyed it, but it was kind of expensive, so I've been trying to fill her art time with other things. She seems to enjoy MTM and Mark Kistler most. She was not a fan of Draw Write Now at all.

We are loving Artistic Pursuits right now with my just turned 6yo. I literally read the lesson for 5 minutes and then set her off on her own to complete it. Perfect for getting DONE for us. I think which program you select depends on what your end goal is. Something like Kistler or Draw Write Now focus on teaching drawing. Artistic Pursuits seems to focus on teaching the different art "skills" (like paying attn to the background, using emotions, using experience, etc. to utilize IN your art) while using a handful of different mediums. Meet the Masters teaches some art history while trying to duplicate the art.