Menu

There's a skink in my kitchen!!!!

Yes, a skInk -- not a skUnk -- a type of lizard. And it's a large adult (male?), 8 to 10 inches long, not one of the relatively cute baby ones with the bright blue tail.

eumfas2.jpg

There are three skink species, and they are very similar in appearance, usually only identifiable by close examination of the scales under the tail and whether they have four or five scales along the upper lip between the nose and eye. (And I am NOT going to look that close!!!)

It's either (click links for pictures --but I warn you, they're not lovely, unless you're a mama skink):

#1 Five-lined Skink (Eumeces fasciatus)

#2 Southeastern Five-lined Skink (Eumeces inexpectatus)

#3 Broadhead Skink (Eumeces laticeps)

I am voting for Bachelor #2. You see that his scientific name is Eumeces inexpectatus, right? Isn't inexpectatus Latin for unexpected??!!?? Well, there you have it!!

We see skinks all the time outside, but this one somehow made his way inside! I have no idea how he got inside, but he nearly scared me to death, just lying there on the floor right in front of my dishwasher! Then he disappeared under my dishwasher and then started slowly sticking his head out -- and when all you can see is his head, it looks exactly like a snake!

So ER rigged up a contraption to catch the skink -- think broom handle plus rope plus small plastic basket. But it didn't work, and the skink disappeared between the stove and the cabinet. :confused:

Well, I called dh to come home from work and help us. He came home (after awhile) and started pulling stuff out of the cabinet. It seems that somewhere way back along the side of the cabinet, there is a hole that has been cut so the stove could be plugged into an outlet back there. I never knew it was there. Until now. Dh did see the skink, which by then had made its way into the cabinet with my Tupperware and Gladware.

And it disappeared again, and we can't figure out how to get it out, so dh has gone to the recliner to take a nap. :001_huh: I wonder who's going to cook supper???

LOL - I don't know how to get him out but dd would help if she were close by!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-lined_Skink

The blue tail indicates he's a juvenile. They are pretty with that iridescent blue aren't they? I have quite a few pics of dd with those in her hands.

I hope you can catch him - he won't make it forever under the cabinets!

good luck!

Is there some food you can put out to attract him? Ew, not crickets or something, right? Hmm, you put in the crickets to catch the skink, then something else to catch the crickets, or something like that--isn't that a song?

Maybe petsmart will come get him for free, they sell them don't they? Just don't grab his tail, he'll let it go and you will freak!!! Did that from my van in FL once--I knew they could do that, but I was trying to rescue hm and he dropped it--man, talk about a heart attack!!!

Here's what Wikipedia says. Maybe you could lure him out and catch him in a bucket or something? How fast do they move?

For feeding, skinks should be offered live insects. Crickets, Mealworms and Waxworms obtained from pet stores are good for skinks and many other small lizards. Another option is to go outside where you can find many beetles, caterpillars, and myriapods which they eat. The insects should be gut-loaded before being offered to the skinks: chicken mash is good for this purpose. If chicken mash cannot be obtained, rodent pellets and tropical fish flakes can be offered instead. Dust crickets and other insects with a calcium/D3 supplement to make sure the skinks get enough calcium. This is especially important for juveniles. Offer adult skinks 2-5 insects every other day, while juveniles should be fed daily. Each insect offered to a particular skink should be no more than half the size of the animal's head. Skinks can also be fed canned cat food and chopped fruit as part of a varied diet. Water should be offered in shallow non-metal bowl or caber class.

We get them in the house, but I haven't had one in the kitchen. I'd take the stuff out of the cabinets and wash it (in the cabinet the skink was in) because of salmonella/reptiles. Then don't put it back in until skink is caught.

One thing you can do is to block off the rest of the cabinets, cracks, etc. (Duck tape the cracks shut) and wait for it to emerge. Then chase it out of the kitchen. Use people strategically located to chase it toward the door.

The best way to actually catch it is with your hands. Gloves are good because they bite sometimes. Don't grab it by the tail; it will break off.

I've been bitten by a Broad-headed....... my Herpetology Professor laughed when I told him.... meany! :glare: They can have a heck of a bite.... nothing life threatening, just like being stabbed by a bunch of needles all at once. Be bold and just grab him/her......... :D

whoops! Sorry, read your post wrong - missed the "not"!!

yikes - I wouldn't be thrilled with one of those either. Dd would still go after him.

We had one of those living on our porch once - under the grill cover.

8-10" is big for it to be in your kitchen hiding.

I hope you catch him~

Dh cut a little flap to serve as a doorway in one end of a cardboard box, sealed it with tape except for that one opening, and put the box on the floor next to the cabinet (no bait or anything, believe it or not --just an empty Hefty trash bag box). We all left the kitchen for awhile, and apparently the skink went into the box, but none of us saw him go in. I reluctantly went into the kitchen to cook supper, thinking the skink would come running out from under the cabinet any second! I bumped the trash bag box with my foot, and I heard something thrashing around in there! It was the skink, but he couldn't figure out how to get out once he had gotten in there to hide. So dh grabbed the box, closed the flap doorway, and went outside to release the very frightened skink into the woods.

I gave dh a big kiss! :tongue_smilie:

Relief ;)

You deserve to turn in your kitchen spoon and apron for the night. :001_smile:

btw, I read STINK in my kitchen when I glanced over the list. Unknown stink would be bad enough, but that blue tailed creature gives me the willies.

Dh cut a little flap to serve as a doorway in one end of a cardboard box, sealed it with tape except for that one opening, and put the box on the floor next to the cabinet (no bait or anything, believe it or not --just an empty Hefty trash bag box). We all left the kitchen for awhile, and apparently the skink went into the box, but none of us saw him go in. I reluctantly went into the kitchen to cook supper, thinking the skink would come running out from under the cabinet any second! I bumped the trash bag box with my foot, and I heard something thrashing around in there! It was the skink, but he couldn't figure out how to get out once he had gotten in there to hide. So dh grabbed the box, closed the flap doorway, and went outside to release the very frightened skink into the woods.

I gave dh a big kiss! :tongue_smilie:

We have caught a few of them in the house this year. My favorite experience so far (yes that is dripping with sarcasm) has been the time I went to unload my sink into the dishwasher and found a salamander sitting in the bottom waiting for me. It's no wonder I hate loading the dishwasher.

Dh cut a little flap to serve as a doorway in one end of a cardboard box, sealed it with tape except for that one opening, and put the box on the floor next to the cabinet

That sounds like a very clever solution!

I guess that nap must have helped fire up the creative problem solving juices, eh?

lizard on the office floor. They have a lot of these from VBS and I went to pick it up. It ran under the couch and all over and I can't find it. I'm feeling half nervous and half bad that the little guy is lost somewhere. He will probably die. This one was only approx. 5 -6 inches long. I wish he was off and free like yours. Hope you took some pictures of your trap and release. :)