Menu

CAPD / Auditory Processing Disorder...new to this with questions

My 8.5 yo dd is FINALLY getting a reasonable language evaluation through a speech/language pathologist. Testing is not quite complete but in some areas she is one to two years behind where she should be for her age. She has, from this testing, a diagnosis of "language disorder" (as opposed to delay) suggesting aberrant development.

It looks like we're headed toward a diagnosis of APD/CAPD (whichever term is more up-to-date).

So...how can we go about nailing down that diagnosis? What other professional should my dd see? What other evaluations does she need?

And, the most important question...can this be remediated? Will it "go away" if we can find the right therapy/treatment? Or will she continue to struggle with following directions, making sense of stories, and getting along socially?

I recently finished the book "Like Sound Through Water: A Mother's Journey Through Auditory Processing Disorder" but the author's son's symptoms don't really match my daughter's.

We've already been down the road of autism spectrum/Asperger's/high-functioning autism and ruled out all of those.

I'm just not sure where we're headed next.

Anyway care to share some insight?

My 8.5 yo dd is FINALLY getting a reasonable language evaluation through a speech/language pathologist. Testing is not quite complete but in some areas she is one to two years behind where she should be for her age. She has, from this testing, a diagnosis of "language disorder" (as opposed to delay) suggesting aberrant development.

It looks like we're headed toward a diagnosis of APD/CAPD (whichever term is more up-to-date).

So...how can we go about nailing down that diagnosis? What other professional should my dd see? What other evaluations does she need?

And, the most important question...can this be remediated? Will it "go away" if we can find the right therapy/treatment? Or will she continue to struggle with following directions, making sense of stories, and getting along socially?

I recently finished the book "Like Sound Through Water: A Mother's Journey Through Auditory Processing Disorder" but the author's son's symptoms don't really match my daughter's.

We've already been down the road of autism spectrum/Asperger's/high-functioning autism and ruled out all of those.

I'm just not sure where we're headed next.

Anyway care to share some insight?

NCAPD.org is good site.

APD is a tough diagnosis, but can be done, make sure you get a neuropsych eval, but make sure they are familiar with CAPD, a lot are not familiar with this diagnosis, also check if you have any audiologists that test for it also. With those two evals, it is easier to diagnose.

Starting this early is great, because she can learn to tools to help her communicate and organize early, than it will be habit. It is all about self advocacy.

My niece did not get diagnosed til 18. So she is having a hard time learning how to advocate and since it is not common like autism or other disabilities, it is hard for therapists to come up with right tools.

wrightslaw.com, is good site to find info. about evaluators or advocates in your area. All worth the money.

Jet

Our son is now 10.5 and was diagnosed at 9.5. He has made HUGE improvements this year socially, academically, etc. I no longer have to keep instructions to 2 things or less, I have less issues when he is outside playing with others, etc. If you have specific questions I would be happy to try and answer them, just PM me.

T