Menu

Marmite - anything else to do with it besides spread on bread?

Joan in GE

To all those who know this product....

Looking for another source of nutrients I decided to try Marmite once again - hoping it would be better than I remembered now that I've lived overseas so long....

But it was actually worse :-(

Not wanting to waste the jar, I thought maybe someone would know how to use it as a seasoning in stews or something...Is that done? Is there any other way to use this product?

Thanks for any help!

Joan

I don't know any specific proportions or anything, but we do sometimes chuck a spoonful into beef or pork stews and braises. It adds depth without much discernible Marmite flavor (about which I agree with you wholeheartedly).

Mostly, though, I just push it to the back of the pantry and find something else to do when my husband has it on his toast. I really think you have to grow up with that stuff to have any hope of appreciating it (I know there are probably some later in life converts, but I'm sticking with my theory as a general rule :)).

Thank you for the ideas - and glad to see that I can at least put it in stews and gravies....I'm guessing like a Worcestershire sauce?

I put a teaspoonful in a mug and add hot water. I go through phases of doing it with marmite and bovril.

Hmmm - if this is like a boullion soup I'll try it...

Lightly spread on hot buttered crumpets is yummy. We add it to gravy & stews. Also marmite sandwiches, dipped in egg & fried. :drool5: The key is to use it sparingly, don't trowel it on like you would jam.

I'm going back and forth about whether this has potential or not...:-) - is this deep-fried or just some butter in the pan? So there are two slices of bread with Marmite inside?

It reminds me of a British dish I heard about but never tasted - fried Mars bars :-)

Joan

My younger son used to eat it off his fingers when he was a toddler. I once found him covered in it. He was so happy.

I love it, but not until a friend showed me how to eat it. She told me the secret was lots of butter. She used water crackers, put on quite a bit of butter and then spread on a bit of marmite. Let's face it, it was mostly butter. It was the first time I ever had it and I thought it was heavenly. Actually, it was just buttery!

I don't eat it like that any longer. Well, my bread is buttered, but just a bit.

Oh darn, now I want bread, butter and marmite and I gave the kids the last of the bread.

We used to dot it on yellow cake when I was a kid; on the batter before baking so it would kind of melt in.

Hmmm - to make a 'salty' cake?

My younger son used to eat it off his fingers when he was a toddler. I once found him covered in it. He was so happy.

I love it, but not until a friend showed me how to eat it. She told me the secret was lots of butter. She used water crackers, put on quite a bit of butter and then spread on a bit of marmite. Let's face it, it was mostly butter. It was the first time I ever had it and I thought it was heavenly. Actually, it was just buttery!

I don't eat it like that any longer. Well, my bread is buttered, but just a bit.

Oh darn, now I want bread, butter and marmite and I gave the kids the last of the bread.

I'll have to try with the butter - in micro amounts - it seems SO salty and I'm also trying to reduce my salt intake...

Still working up to the Marmite boullion...and do plan it in my next stew...

Thanks!

Joan