Menu

WSJ: Resort Living Comes to Campus

Sebastian (a lady)

The article doesn't clarify if students are able to use student loan money to pay for these apartments. my dorm rooms were spartan even by the standards of the time (our luxuries were laundry service and a shower in each room).

But I can't imagine having expectations for housing like the article profiles and then having to pay for my own housing upon graduation. Seems that there would be some sticker shock.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323830404578145591134362564.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsTop

You had a shower in each room??!! :drool5: Wow! I shared a bathroom with 3 other girls in our "off-campus" housing. The living

accommodations were one of the reasons that I couldn't wait to graduate from college! When I did graduate, and started my first job, I rented an old 2-bedroom house. It was cold, drafty, and out-dated. I loved it. It was my own place with my own space. What will graduates have to look forward to if they live a luxury lifestyle while in school? Why would they ever want to leave school?

Part of the beauty of college is learning that you can "rough it", and make it through OK. At least in my humble opinion.

I really don't understand this sort of entitlement thinking.

You had a shower in each room??!! :drool5: Wow! I shared a bathroom with 3 other girls in our "off-campus" housing.

No kidding! I was beyond thrilled when I had a sink in my room senior year of college (still remember the ineffable luxury of being able to brush my teeth without having to traipse down the hall).

We've been on a number of college tours lately, and all the dorms have looked like...dorms. Nothing fancy at all.

You had a shower in each room??!! :drool5: Wow! I shared a bathroom with 3 other girls in our "off-campus" housing. The living

accommodations were one of the reasons that I couldn't wait to graduate from college! When I did graduate, and started my first job, I rented an old 2-bedroom house. It was cold, drafty, and out-dated. I loved it. It was my own place with my own space. What will graduates have to look forward to if they live a luxury lifestyle while in school? Why would they ever want to leave school?

Part of the beauty of college is learning that you can "rough it", and make it through OK. At least in my humble opinion.

I really don't understand this sort of entitlement thinking.

yep, the shower (and sink actually) were great to have, especially since everyone was typically using them around the same times (either right before morning formation or after sports and before evening formation). Of course the year when they were replacing the boiler in our wing and we went 6 months without hot water wasn't so fun. Unless you had a friend who offered their shower, your options were to use the showers in one of the sports facilities or to take one cold. Ugh.

I think that would have been senior year. Junior year was marked by electrical instability and a lot of long power outages. Which always seemed to occur during evening study hour. Once we were coming back from some mandatory lecture and saw that the power in the dorms was out, again. It was the week of one of the midterm exams and we had a weapons systems test the next day. As we were walking past the superintendent's house, I saw him on the porch watching us all go back to the hall. So I ran up the steps and asked if we could come back and study on his porch (which had lights). He said sure. So we grabbed our books and spend the next hour or so on the porch, studying. His wife even brought us hot cocoa at one point.

So, yeah, we had showers and that was great. But the rooms were nothing spectacular. And of course there is the matter of having proscribed ways to fold every item, down to your tshirts. And frequent room inspections. And regulations for what may hang on your bulletin boards. . .

yep, the shower (and sink actually) were great to have, especially since everyone was typically using them around the same times (either right before morning formation or after sports and before evening formation). Of course the year when they were replacing the boiler in our wing and we went 6 months without hot water wasn't so fun. Unless you had a friend who offered their shower, your options were to use the showers in one of the sports facilities or to take one cold. Ugh.

I think that would have been senior year. Junior year was marked by electrical instability and a lot of long power outages. Which always seemed to occur during evening study hour. Once we were coming back from some mandatory lecture and saw that the power in the dorms was out, again. It was the week of one of the midterm exams and we had a weapons systems test the next day. As we were walking past the superintendent's house, I saw him on the porch watching us all go back to the hall. So I ran up the steps and asked if we could come back and study on his porch (which had lights). He said sure. So we grabbed our books and spend the next hour or so on the porch, studying. His wife even brought us hot cocoa at one point.

So, yeah, we had showers and that was great. But the rooms were nothing spectacular. And of course there is the matter of having proscribed ways to fold every item, down to your tshirts. And frequent room inspections. And regulations for what may hang on your bulletin boards. . .

I enjoyed your story. I think I'd rather have the inconvenience of a bathroom down the hall over having to fold my teeshirts a certain way GRIN. We all had to work around the shower schedule of the basketball player whose head stuck up over the partition. I always wondered if the girls whose fathers refused to pay for anything but an all-girls hall knew that the bathrooms were coed. I don't ever remember the bathroom situation bothering me. What bothered me was the smell of beer and vomit in the halls, urine in the stairwells, and the thought of what might happen if all the people in the dorm emptied into those stairwells in a fire. I'm sure they were too narrow. I guess I wasn't too happy to find out that my roommate was dealing drugs, either (fortunately only found out after she moved out). On second thought, perhaps I wouldn't mind folding my teeshirts just so lol...

Nan

• 2 weeks later...

I must be really old. Our dorms had a bathroom/shower for all at the end of the hall, and a kitchen in the basement. My room was a triple and there was nothing luxurious about it. Except that it was practically across the street from Carmichael, when the Tar Heels used to play there. That was a huge benefit when we had to check in every hour for basketball tickets, LOL. And now I've really dated myself, at least if there are any Tar Heel fans around!

Holy cow I'm old (but I knew that...sigh). There were about 20 - 24 females on our floor, sharing one bathroom with 5 sinks, 5 showers and 5 toilets. No sinks in room. I was fortunate that I liked getting up early to take a shower before most of the girls. Oh yeah, and the cost (with 3 meals a day) was $935 for two semesters. Seeing how min wage was about $3.50 and hour (can't remember exactly), it did take me most of the summer to earn that measly amount.

That actually sounds like a deal. One of mine pays about 1000k/mo to live in a triple dorm room (with a hall bathroom). Of course, that includes food, but still. $650 doesn't seem all that insane.

Maybe it's the part of the country - weren't the prices for a place in Florida? Because those would be really cheap prices around here. My oldest is living in an on-campus dorm and it's $4800 per semester, which is 4 months so $1200 a month. She shares with one other girl and they have their own bathroom. The room is decent sized (13x13, I guess) but not luxurious.

Holy cow I'm old (but I knew that...sigh). There were about 20 - 24 females on our floor, sharing one bathroom with 5 sinks, 5 showers and 5 toilets. No sinks in room. I was fortunate that I liked getting up early to take a shower before most of the girls. Oh yeah, and the cost (with 3 meals a day) was $935 for two semesters. Seeing how min wage was about $3.50 and hour (can't remember exactly), it did take me most of the summer to earn that measly amount.

Now I don't feel so alone! This sounds like my set up in college! Although I think minimum wage was lower at the time. Eek!