Menu

If you have a tablet do you have a smart phone and a computer also?

Parrothead

I have all three. My laptop is my favorite for surfing the web but the tablet is very handy for apps that I use. I'd prefer to use my tablet for apps than my phone.

I would like to downgrade my phone to just a basic phone with texting capabilities. I would like to get an iPad with 3g to carry around with me for my calendar, astrid, reading apps, email, ect. I just can't see spending several hundred on another iPad when we have two wi-fi ones already.

We have a PC, smart phones and tablet. The tablet is used primarily for listening to the news and looking up recipes in the kitchen, and as a whiteboard for math with the boys (there's an app. We don't just write on it). Sometimes, I'll watch a video on it or something, since it's bigger than my phone screen.

I don't like typing on it. The on-screen keyboard is just between the phone (on which I type with thumbs) and a regular keyboard (on which I touch type), and I just can't seem to work out how to hit the keys. I have the same issue with the on-screen keyboard on the pc, plus it's on a vertical surface. Bleh.

I have an iPad and a laptop. I have a phone that barely does texts.

I also wondered why I should have an iPad, but now I'm hooked. Most of my apps can be used offline. My lists are all on it (Paperless app), as are a bunch of articles to read offline saved on Instapaper. My calendar will sync when I'm on wi-fi, but is functional offline as well. I can read anything with my Kindle app, and the camera has captured more than a couple priceless moments and saved the day while we were waiting in a government office with a baby (took picture of baby and then let her play with her own image). FaceTime keeps us connected to DH.

The laptop is better for word processing, spreadsheets, managing our finances, some online activities, and the sort, but I love my iPad.

DH brought a tablet home from work for us to try out for a while and there were definitely times we reached for the tablet first. It was nice when we had a quick question we were looking for an answer to, or when I wanted to browse casually, but didn't want the full laptop on my lap, heating me up.

We have two desktops and two laptops, though one laptop has a faulty battery and keyboard, so it is setup like a desktop. Both DH and I have smart phones. We are both IT folk, so I think we tend toward getting the most convenient gadget for whatever we want/need.

We also decided that we didn't -need- the tablet, but if we came across $500 some day, we'd probably get one if it didn't seem stupid to not get something else.

Desktop PC (x3-DH, DD, and I all have one, but they're all older systems and DD's was a freebie from DH's company that they were going to send to recycling), iPad, and (low end) android phone here. If I need to write something of any length, including board posts, I definitely prefer to be on the full computer. For portability, I love my iPad, and it's also my e-reader. I pretty much use the phone for calls, texts, and the occasional "Help, where am I" or price look-up.

I also have an older netbook that I got when I was regularly doing conference presentations, which DD sometimes uses when she needs a portable device (usually when she has an online class blackboard session scheduled but we won't be at home-she can hook her headset to the netbook wherever she has wi-fi and participate).

I have everything ;-)

Desktop (new from this year, with mega graphics card), iPad, Kindle, and Samsung S3.

The tablet and the phone run on different OSs (what's the proper plural for OS?) so they are not redundant.

The phone is with me always, the tablet gets left behind more often than not. But school work is better on the tablet than on the phone.

I currently have a laptop and smart phone. I hope to get a tablet next year. One reason is that the way we are set up a laptop is a bit cumbersome. I'd like ds to have a tablet for school too. I want to use some pdfs and certain online sites for school. Ds and I sit opposite each other and it's hard to make the laptop work. This is obviously a convenience issue, not a necessity.

My smart phone is too small for doing any real reading.

I really like the new laptops with the swivel screen that you can lay flat like a tablet, but those are way out of my budget.

I miss my netbook. I liked its size and battery life, but it only last 18 months before the motherboard went kaput, so it's not worth investing into another one.

I have all 3. The iPad DH got for free at a conference, my computer I'd old and actually will be replaced by a low end laptop for Christmas, cheapest we could find that would do the job (cheaper than the iPad would have been actually). I use them differently and would say each has there place. If I had to do without me, it would be the iPad, but I use it for reading e-mails, surfing the web in bed, an e-reader, Words with Friends :-).

I'm not too comfortable carrying the iPad around with me outside the house, mostly because if it gets broken it won't be replaced and the screen is IMO delicate. When I was at the local Apple Store recently, there were 3 people there wit broken screens.

We have a low end desktop, tablet, and smartphones. I bought the iPad this year because I work online, and when my Dh is home he is often on the desktop looking for work. Also,with my online work I wanted the option of watching the children anywhere and being able to get some work done. I could live without my smartphone- it was free and my tablet has nearly replaced it. I would NOT want to lose my iPad!

No smartphone, it's too small for me.

I have iPad and computer. These days I use my iPad more that the computer. I have a 32 GB and it is almost full. I have tons of audiobooks and ebooks. It's awkward to listen and look at some things on the computer. We take it in the car and use it as an mp3 player since the car one broke. We read and listen to it nightly. I have all my bible study aids on it and we use it then. I text with it, keep pictures on it, email from it, keep up with my forums on it....

Love my iPad and do t see how I did without it before. It is so much more convenient than the computer. I can even print from it, tho I haven't tried it yet.

I have a Kindle (not the Fire version), MacBook, iPhone 5 and an iPad. I plan to get the iMac once they are readily available. To be honest, I don't use the iPad much. I suspected I wouldn't but I got one anyways. I use my phone the most, simply because it comes everywhere with me. If I have to do a lot of typing I use my laptop (and soon it will be the desktop). I also have an iPod Classic that I use for all out audiobooks and music (including the IEW poetry memorization program). We use the iPod a lot and it often comes everywhere with us so the kids can listen to books or watch a movie when we are at classes or appointments. The Kindle I use exclusively for eBooks as I prefer the kids to read on a screen that is not backlit. I do not have books on the iPad currently although I do have a few magazines. The kids like the Kindle, which I have had for a couple of years now, and it has renewed their interest in reading, so I think that was money well spent.

I use the iPad mostly for these boards or web surfing although I do use it for a few school applications, such as having the CPO student text on it, as well as a few other school related PDF files. There is no reason I couldn't use the laptop for those but I will admit the iPad is nice and the kids enjoy using it. I have quite a few things on it for our earth and space studies this year. I got the 64GB and it is 3/4 full already.

I use the mobile app version of these boards on the iPad and don't like that I don't have the full features such as smilies and being able to view signatures and the other things one sees on the full version. I also don't love the billions of typos that crop up when I type in the iPad so I don't use it much for emails or posting.

If I had to do without one, it would definitely be the iPad but since we had the extra money for one and I was able to get a smoking deal on it, I try to find ways to use it. I am finding more things I can do with it every week but I know I am certainly not using it to its full potential.

I couldn't live without my iPhone. It is small but I've had an iPhone since they first came out so I am used to it. A lot of my friends text but don't have Apple products so I need the phone to communicate with them.

Dh is an Android geek and has the Samsung Galaxy SIII phone, the Samsung 2 tablet and a dual boot laptop. He uses his phone and tablet the most but does admit that there are things that drive him bonkers to do on the tablet so he has to turn to the laptop to get them done properly.

Yes. They each do different things.

I was saying the other day that if I was to lose all the devices in a fire tomorrow and had to replace them all with lovely insurance money, we would configure totally differently though. Currently, there's four laptops (mine and dh's, plus our old ones for the kids), two tablets (the iPad and the Kindle Fire the kids won), and three smart phones (mine and dh's and dh's old decommissioned one that the kids use). I would replace it with one powerful desktop with lots of storage, four tablets (iPads and iPad minis) and dh and my smartphones.

I have all 3. The iPad DH got for free at a conference, my computer I'd old and actually will be replaced by a low end laptop for Christmas, cheapest we could find that would do the job (cheaper than the iPad would have been actually). I use them differently and would say each has there place. If I had to do without me, it would be the iPad, but I use it for reading e-mails, surfing the web in bed, an e-reader, Words with Friends :-).

I'm not too comfortable carrying the iPad around with me outside the house, mostly because if it gets broken it won't be replaced and the screen is IMO delicate. When I was at the local Apple Store recently, there were 3 people there wit broken screens.

I use this cover, making sure it is closed when it is being carried. My son has dropped it twice and it is still perfect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Incase-Book-Jacket-Portfolio-Style-Case-for-Apple-iPad-1-2-3-Black-CL57511-/140865673883?pt=US_Tablet_eReader_Cases_Covers_Keyboard_Folios&hash=item20cc3f9a9b

I have a Kindle Fire, which is a type of tablet, a smartphone, a laptop and a desktop. I mostly use my desktop and my phone. I don't do much with my phone most of the time- I do check news, emails, check some website, get some navigation at times, the weather, etc. but not all that much. The Kindle is usually at home. Right now, it is shared with my older dd. Since she is going back to college, we have to decide who will get it. I tend to like regular books more but more and more things are available only on electronic. The laptop is shared by my younger dd, my dh, and myself. Dh hardly ever uses it since he normally takes his laptop from work on trips. I only use it when dh is using the desktop or when dd is doing ALEKS which she can only do on the desktop and I need to use the computer.

Yes :)

I have an iPhone 4s, a small Acer Laptop and DH just bought me a Samsung 7" Galaxy Tablet for an early Christmas present- it was $99 (w/ 2 year contract) and t I did not ask for it- LOL, he saw a Black Friday deal and snatched it.

I didn't think I wanted or needed or would even LIKE a tablet, as I've used his iPad and never really took to it- too big, heavy and so forth, But the 7" smaller tablet (kindle size- I use a Kindle case for it) is the perfect size for portability and practical use...Its not as stimulating or official as my laptop and I can easily carry it with me in my bag w/out feeling the bulk or weight. But, I'm not squinting or frustrated w/ the tablet like I am w/ the phone- plus, my phone is full w/ audiobooks, apps and music. My new tablet has an SD card slot so we can expand it as much as we want for pennies on the dollar ($10 for 16GB card). I LOVE that aspect.

So I am embarrassed to say I use all 3 in various ways....and would be hard pressed to know which one to give up! I use my phone as phone, mp3 player and running app buddy; I use my tablet for lists/to-do's (awesome to take to the store), games, movies, browsing/reading news and overall portability, and my laptop for more official things like forms/applications, long emails, shopping etc

HTH!.

We have an ancient laptop, DD has an iPad 3 that she won as a spelling bee prize, DH has an iPhone, and I have an Android phone.

The laptop is used for running software like Microsoft Office, Photoshop, Sketchbook Pro, etc. The iPad and smartphone can't do those types of things very well. Oldest DD participates in a computer programming club and we've yet to figure out how to do the coding on the iPad even though we bought some apps that supposedly should allow her to do it.

The iPad has Apple apps that aren't available on my phone and I don't believe work on the laptop (maybe there is a way to run them but I don't know how). It also does e-books from the library (again there's probably a way to do that with the laptop but I'm not tech-savvy enough to figure it out).

My phone has a tiny screen so it's best for very simple things like email, Facebook, reading forums, etc. but it's by far the most portable. I always have that with me, but don't usually schlep around the laptop or iPad because of the size.

If it weren't for the tablet and the smartphones, we probably would've replaced our old laptop by now.

I have all three. Between my iPhone and iPad, I *almost* don't need to use my (very old) laptop at all. With each iOS update, it's getting closer!

FWIW, the kids have ancient MacBooks that are really on their last legs. We are not replacing them with new laptops; they are going to get iPads.

(Definitely find the data plan option well worth it, BTW! Even if you think you might not use it that much, it's always handy to have it when you need it!)

Edited to add: we are using one of the iBooks texts as our science curriculum this year. So far, it's been excellent. For $15 we have this great textbook that includes short videos and some animations, quick labs, plus end of chapter quizzes. I can't wait to see how the iBooks textbooks develop over time!

This is the text we're using:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/biology/id490038442?mt=13

I have a tablet and a computer (and we have a laptop as well). I have a dumb phone. I see no need for the smart phone. Most of our frequently travelled places have free wireless and I carry a purse that fits the iPad. Not to mention, I don't pay for an expensive data plan. My husband has an Ipad with 4G we only subscribe to the 4G while we're traveling (or he's traveling for work).

ETA - I cannot imagine not having a real computer though. I LOVE my iPad, but it does not replace a computer for me.

I have all three (4)-

iPhone-texts, calls, surf the web quickly when I'm out, ect.

iPad-use most of the time for surfing the web, videos, apps, email, school stuff

Mac desktop-use for anything that requires Adobe, downloading bigger files, making documents, storing pictures, my hubby uses it to edit (for his job)

Mac lap top-dh's computer. He takes it to work daily, uses it for his job/editing along with the desktop.

I also have a kindle, which I use to read (duh!) because even though I have the kindle app, it hurts my eyes to read too much on the computer screens.

We have 2 iPhones, 1 MacBook, 2 MacBook Pros, 1 iPad, multiple iPod Touches, 1 Kindle Fire, 1 Kindle Keyboard, and 2 Kindles. Their strengths are different. The kids have the Touches and we prefer the Kindles for reading. The Fire is used for Amazon Prime and the iPad is shared by all. My dh and I have the phones and the laptops are preferred for serious work.

I have them all. I have an iPhone 4S, and iPad 2 and a 13" macbook pro. I use my phone for calls, texting and app/checking mail/surfing the web when I'm out. I have my iPad for if I know I'll be out somewhere for an extended time (taking the car in for service, or the kids to activities) because the phone is too small for me to use for extended time web surfing etc. My laptop sits right next to me by the couch and I use it daily.

My kids share an iMac and the oldest has an iPod touch, dd and youngest have their own iPad1s. Oldest likes his touch and doesn't want an ipad at this time. DH has a dell laptop (which he's starting to hate, it's the same model as my old one I traded in for the macbook pro) as well as an iPad (the 3rd generation) and an iPhone 4S.

We love tech here in our house though.

ETA: We also have 4 kindles and an HP touchpad (my dh bought it right before they discontinued them and we had to fight to get a refund when they dropped the price by something like $350)

*I* have a smart phone (basic model from Virgin Mobile) and an iPad. *We* (the family) have a desktop that's going on 3 years (I think?) The iPad is also used for schooling and occasionally I let the monkeys use it for games or Netflix watching. It is a wireless ipad 2 (versus a 3G model) that I bought refurbished and keep in a Gumdrop case (a must with a toddler in the house!) I purchased it with last year's tax monies to be able to have online access because sharing a desktop with 3 online gamers just plain sucks. I've discovered it's been great for so many more things. I'd love to get another with more memory and then pass this one onto the monkeys.

I have a computer, a smart phone, and a Kindle Fire (kind of a tablet). I only have the Fire b/c I asked for a Kindle for Christmas last year and that is what I got. I only use it for reading, b/c that is what I wanted it for (I was honestly only wanting and expecting the basic one). I don't see a reason for a tablet otherwise.

I have a phablet (5.3", I think) and a netbook (11.6"), DH has a smartphone and a 7" tablet, he can do most everything on those. He's thinking of getting a phablet for his next phone and letting the 5yo have his tablet. I can't remember the last time he used my computer.

About missing something, I don't know. I *loved* my last smartphone. A Samsung Galaxy S with a 4" screen. I used it heavily for 2 years. That and my netbook were all I needed. I'd mess around on DH's tablet occasionally, but really it was just a larger version of my phone and it wasn't terribly useful to me. Then I got the Galaxy Note and It's just perfect.

We do have a 10" tablet that we use for school and I do find that useful. Mostly for the 5yo though.

My husband has all three, although I still don't get why.

He has a laptop, which he uses as his primary personal computer. He uses it for gaming, more involved web surfing, etc. It is the fastest and easiest to use and read of the three gadgets.

He uses the tablet when he's watching TV and wants to look up something quickly or when he's travelling and doesn't want to lug around the laptop. This one is kind of a middle ground between the other two, as far as I can tell.

The iPhone is really mostly a phone, although he also uses it to send and receive e-mail while he's out and about and to look up stuff online if he's not close to either the computer or the tablet. It'll serve a need in a pinch, but it's slower and less functional than the other two.

Honestly, I still don't understand why anyone feels like they would need all three.

(And, just to make things a little more ridiculous, I should mention that my husband also has a Blackberry for work AND a company laptop he carts between work and home.)

The iPad sat in a box here for almost a year before my husband dug it out and started using it.

I have a MacBookPro, an ipad, and an iphone.

(and even though you didn't ask, we also have 3 iphones in the family, an iPod touch for youngest child, and an iMac 27")

iphone is for using when I am out and just need to look up something fast. It is also used for heavy phone talking and texting.

ipad is used for my committee meetings, taking notes, watching movies in the car, playing app games that the kids say look much cooler in larger screen, etc.....I also have a keyboard for it that I use in those meetings......it is much smaller and easier to carry because my macbook pro is a 15" and heavy.

If I had to give up one it would be the ipad. I was given it and my oldest son uses it WAY more than I do. I really do like it, but for ME, as one who doesn't really use a lot of apps, I would prefer one of those really lightweight computers that Apple makes.

I have a desktop PC, and iPad and Samsung tablet (both free from DH's work), and a Samsung S Galaxy 3 smartphone. I use my desktop for printing, word processing, and some educational sites (BrainPop, Reading eggs, etc.). It probably gets the least amount of use. We use the iPad for educationally apps and for viewing educational videos by hooking it into the big television. I also use the iPad for my to-do lists, email, and Internet needs. I use my smartphone for calls, text, some email, calendar, directions, and as my camera. I actually just upgraded my phone for the nice camera it has. I will never remember to carry a separate camera so I figured the money was better spend getting a phone with an excellent camera.

That is so funny how different personal preferences are. I love my laptop and surf the net while I am watching TV and I love how portable it is. I carry it into the school room while the kids are working, We listen to audiobooks on it in the living room (ipad is too quiet), and I carry it all over the house.

Dawn

We have desktops, laptops, and tablets. We don't have phones. I like the tablet and the desktops the best. I can't stand laptops. I can't get used to the keyboard. And the tablet is portable so I like that aspect.

We have an iMac partitioned to use both Windows and Apple operating systems, 2 iPads capable of 3G/4G, 1st gen Kindle Fire, 2nd gen Kindle, Windows laptop, 3 iPhone 4S's. Good grief...and I said I would NEVER be one of THOSE families. :) Each device serves a different purpose for various members of our family. We also own a business and must be available 24/7/365 (which I despise).

The iPads are used for entertainment at home and on the go, e-reading, googling-on-the-go for various reasons. Netflix gets used a great deal on the iPads also. Newest iPad has camera and video which has been heavily used as well.

The new iMac...well, I almost exclusively use the Windows portion of the hard drive (almost all software I use for work exclusively runs on Windows and wanted to use existing licenses for Office). The kids love the Apple side of the iMac. We had to replace our desktop recently and went with an iMac because it could be partitioned to use Windows, and Apple customer service and stability is so much better than Dell, HP, and Sony (our previous computers through the years).

Kids use Kindle Fire for e-reading and audio books every day. I use original Kindle for reading every night in bed. iPad is too cumbersome for me and kids to use for reading, but DH reads every night on iPad using Kindle app.

Laptop is a must for work-related travel and moving work from the desk to the couch.

We had dumb phones and a Palm? for our first smart phone. Then after a long while moved to Blackberry---hated it completely. Finally relented and moved to iPhones. They are so much more reliable and user-friendly. Plus they double as on-the-go entertainment for kids, mp3 players, camera, video camera, etc.

We are adding an iPod Touch for the DD5 this Christmas. She is obsessed with taking videos and pictures and has been for about 9 months now (her aunt, my sister, is a professional photographer). We have been through a couple of "kid" cameras that were very inconvenient to manage due to quality and storage. A 4th gen iPod Touch 16G is $200, cheaper than a decent (easily managed by DD5) camera/video.

I have used Otter Box Defender cases on my phone, the family phone, and iPads. The devices have been dropped several times and no damage yet! You can find them on Amazon.

Well, last autumn (2011), I had an iMac and a flip phone. It seemed fine. Then the phone died and I got an iPhone. It has become my main camera/video, since I always have it handy. I have some email accounts on it, plus a small selection of apps.

Then this autumn, I added a MacBook, an iPod Classic, an iPad (with wifi, but not cellular), and a Kindle (cheapest/reader only). The iPad is my favorite device! I can browse the web or watch a movie in bed. It is great for homeschooling -- we can watch a quick video or check a fact without having to clear a space for a laptop -- the iPad is so easy to hold in one's hand. The apps are wonderful and inexpensive -- and I find that it is just more fun to use apps on the iPad than on a computer. The touchscreen is addictive. The iPad is big enough for things to show up clearly -- I find iPhone sized screens rather unappealing.

I' d vote for the iPad as a valuable addition to the computer and phone family.

I' d vote for the iPad as a valuable addition to the computer and phone family.

I'd decided to go with a Nook. Then 2 hours later canceled the order. As soon as they release my funds from hold at the bank (hopefully by tomorrow) I'm going with the ipad mini.

We have 3 iPhones, 2 iPads, 3 ipod touches, 2 android DNA phones and all of the older kids have laptops although I no longer have one. I don't even want one. I gave my iPads to the younger kids. My iphone 5 is all I need. I prefer it to the iPad. I love how fast it charges. I even like watching movies on it. It is my phone, my calender, my email, my music, my encyclopedia, my movies, my games all wrapped up in one beautiful package.

There are some things it can't do. There is a contract I need to sign that I can't open on my phone, but I'll just ask a kid to pull it up on their laptop for me.

We have 3 iPhones, 2 iPads, 3 ipod touches, 2 android DNA phones and all of the older kids have laptops although I no longer have one. I don't even want one. I gave my iPads to the younger kids. My iphone 5 is all I need. I prefer it to the iPad. I love how fast it charges. I even like watching movies on it. It is my phone, my calender, my email, my music, my encyclopedia, my movies, my games all wrapped up in one beautiful package.

There are some things it can't do. There is a contract I need to sign that I can't open on my phone, but I'll just ask a kid to pull it up on their laptop for me.

I wish I could get an iphone. The good coverage network doesn't carry iphone. I could change carriers but I wouldn't get service out at the new place.

Woah! The Pearson Biology textbook is on ibooks? ??

How about the chemistry one?

That's what I said! I just went and looked at it, downloaded the sample, and bought it. Yes, the chemistry book is there too. It has all sorts of interactive videos and examples in it.

Back on topic: yes, I have a desktop iMac, an iPad, and an iPhone. I've asked for the smallest Air for Christmas. :) Oh, I have a Kindle too but it's not a Fire. All of my devices have different jobs and I use them for separate things. The Air I'm hoping to get is because I need it for a different job as well.

I have all three, sitting right in front of me, actually. I use the tablet for school, because my phone is too small to read ebooks on, and I don't like reading them on the desktop. I take the phone with me everywhere I go, and it's easier for me to type on the computer.