Menu

She's here and settling in nicely!

Live2Ride

I'm attaching the photobucket link here since most of the pics are too large to upload to this site...

But she's here and settling in. She's met my boys and will meet my neighbors horses tomorrow. I'll keep her in this front paddock for a couple of days to allow some adjustmet..then I'll let her into the big field.

She's really eyeballing the place. I like her looks. You went with Cadence? I had a lovely gray mare I named Cadence. The next year we had five foals and went with Ballad, Rumor, Legend, Soliloquy and Fable. I loved Ballad's name because it went with his dam's musical name and also the new foal crop!

So what are your first plans for this girl? How much training has she had?

She's really eyeballing the place. I like her looks. You went with Cadence? I had a lovely gray mare I named Cadence. The next year we had five foals and went with Ballad, Rumor, Legend, Soliloquy and Fable. I loved Ballad's name because it went with his dam's musical name and also the new foal crop!

So what are your first plans for this girl? How much training has she had?

Its either Cadence (which I like) or Kinata (kee-na-ta)...which the girls were discussing...I don't really like that one...it doesn't roll off the tongue and doesn't seem right for her. I got a video of her moving but I'm having a hard time downloading it to my computer from my phone...I've got to have DH figure it out for me.

She is very watchful, but does not seem spooky. I was doing all sorts of things around her and she was fine. She is going to be used for 4-H and trail riding. She has good muscle tone, but lacks in the stamina department right now. I am also finding out that she is hard to catch once let go. That will change though...feed is a good motivator.

She was a cow horse and has a pretty nice handle on her. She does what I want when I asked, but instead of moving away fromthe pressure of one leg, she wants to speed up. She does understand moving off the leg though so that is workable.

For now she will stay in that pen until I can catch her easily. Then she'll be let out and I'll leave a catch rope on her for a bit.

I will put some time on her, then get the girls on her in the round pen to start working with them.

Whoa! Cattle horse huh? You are going to have a blast. My "cattle" mare nearly unseated me the other day during a rollback!!

There's a lot to be said for feed and treats. I know a lot of the big trainers discourage it, but I'm old and I want my horses to come to me when they see me. I don't have time to waste chasing someone around a pasture.

Whoa! Cattle horse huh? You are going to have a blast. My "cattle" mare nearly unseated me the other day during a rollback!!

There's a lot to be said for feed and treats. I know a lot of the big trainers discourage it, but I'm old and I want my horses to come to me when they see me. I don't have time to waste chasing someone around a pasture.

With me, she's super responsive. Gets right up when asked and you better be holding on, lol. WIth my DD she would still go, but with my student she would hardly move, lol. She just stood there and looked at me like "this kid doesn't know what she's doing" lol. She did manage to get the mare to move a step!

I believe she was ridden good and put away. She looks to me when I call, but does not come to me for attention. She could care less about me petting her and actually turns her head away when I try. Poor girl. She'll come around I'm sure I did try to offer a treat and she was having none of that.

I too want my horses to come when I ask. I refuse to chase any horse around. I've got 10 acres...those horses are way faster than me, lol.

I caused the same problem in my early lessons, too. The horse would just stop, and my teacher would say, "She doesn't know what you want her to do." I'm doing much better now, so when she doesn't respond, it's usually not my fault. :-) Being ridden by newbies in the ring isn't exactly exciting for her, I'm sure. The other two lesson horses, though, were in a pasture together for 9 years before being bought by my teacher a few months ago. They're much more eager to have something to do, and are happy to be working together (ds rides one, and I ride the other). (They don't slouch around looking sleepy and bored!) Horses' personalities are funny.

Thanks. I went out tonight and offered another treat...sniffed but no bite. She did allow me to pet her neck and scratch her face a bit. She is still looking out at my other two geldings, but as of now they could care less about her, until she gets out in the field. She's running the fence line a bit. In her feed there are electrolyte pellets. Tomorrow I'm going to add a little molassas to tempt her even more, lol. I've got some supplements on order for her joints and coat.