Menu

why do my son's hamsters keep dying??

ProudGrandma

Please tell me if you can. We keep our hamsters in aquarium cages. We have 3 hamsters and 3 cages. My one son has gone through 6 hamsters in less than 2 years. One ran away, one was eating himself, one died of a rare disease, the other ones (the last 3) have just died (prematurely in my opinion...like within less than 6 months of buying them). My son is simply heart broken and I dont' know what to do now. To add insult to injury, my other son is still on his first hamster...and my daughter is on only her second.

All 3 kids take really good care of their hamsters, they clean their cages without being asked, they feed them and play with them...etc. So it's not like he neglected his hamster or anything like that.

So what would you do? Could it be that the cage is contaminated with something? Should we buy a new cage? The kids cleaned them really well between hamsters but maybe we need to use something stonger, but I didn't want to use something so strong that it not only killed any germs, but the chemical residue would also kill the next hamster.

Please, if you have any thoughts for me what so ever, please tell me.

We can't afford a more expensive pet...one that requires vet care etc. We live in a house owned by the church my husband is pastor of, so a free raoming inside pet is not an option as well.

I would consider a different pet for him, but he loves the idea of being able to pick his pet up, cuddle it, play with it. Hamsters don't smell too bad and when we go on our 2 times a year vacation, it's easy to find someone to care for them. If we have a higher maintance critter, that may not be so easy either.

Maybe we don't have other options.

Also, we llive in a rural area...and we don't have pet stores like Petsmart or anything...our little local pet store has a few different critters...but anything too different would be hard to get too..

sigh....my heart hurts for my little guy.

Is he getting the same kind of hamster as his siblings? Younger and smaller hamster breeds are more delicate. I agree with a thorough sterilization of the cage and then I'd suggest making sure he gets a larger hamster breed. You could also check the location where DS's cage is and check for drafts, hot spots, and other environmental issues.

I will try to answer all of the great questions here:

all 3 hamsters are in the same location...and it's not drafty.

the shavings are pine

I don't know about the breed of hamster thing...they have all been a month or so old....is that too young? My thinking was always the younger we get them, the longer we will have them....obviously for my one son that is NOT the case.

I couldn't tell you about the inbreeding...the place we get them from is a pet store...but not a big nation wide chain...local chain though.

We will clean this the cage with bleach and vinegar...maybe that will take care of it...I just hate to get yet another hamster and have it die so quickly.

thanks for you advice.

I am certain my son wasn't holding them too tightly....i am nearly always around them when they have them out...and each of the of 3 recently dead hamsters died in during the night...like, the when we went to bed, they were fine...when we woke up, they were dead...or nearly dead. We don't have another pet store to go to...I have never checked craigslist before...that is a thought. thanks.

the shavings are pine

This could be it. Pine and cedar bedding can be toxic to small rodents (the acids can cause respiratory problems). Why they're still sold as bedding is beyond my comprehension. Perhaps there's better ventilation around the other cages/containers, and that's why your son's hamsters are faring the worst.

• Like 4

This could be it. Pine and cedar bedding can be toxic to small rodents (the acids can cause respiratory problems). Why they're still sold as bedding is beyond my comprehension. Perhaps there's better ventilation around the other cages/containers, and that's why your son's hamsters are faring the worst.

so then what should we be using? We use pine in the other cages and those hamsters aren't dying.

We are actually going to be in a bigger town over the weekend and we will stop at Petsmart and see what they have. Hope that is a good option.

I also plan to use bleach on the cage...should I also use bleach on everything else...the waterbottle, the food bowl, the wheel???

thanks.

Is the cage with the hamsters that keep dying closer to a window or anything like that than the others? An aquarium could possibly heat up somewhat from the sun and that could heat up the bedding and make any potential problems worse in that cage.

if it were summer, I would see this being a possible issue...but it is COLD here and it has been cold...but not where the cages are...they are in a comfortable, no draft room...

so then what should we be using? We use pine in the other cages and those hamsters aren't dying

There could be ventilation differences. Even if the bedding is not the immediate cause of your hamster troubles, the cedar bedding is not good in the long term for any of your hamsters.

http://www.hamsterific.com/beddingguide.cfm

• Like 1

There could be ventilation differences. Even if the bedding is not the immediate cause of your hamster troubles, the cedar bedding is not good in the long term for any of your hamsters.

http://www.hamsterific.com/beddingguide.cfm

so, if pine or cedar bedding is not good...what is???

never mind...the link answered my questions...except where to buy thes different beddings...like I said earlier...we don't live in a big city and there isn't much available to me...

never mind...the link answered my questions...except where to buy thes different beddings...like I said earlier...we don't live in a big city and there isn't much available to me...

Amazon sells pet bedding, many with prime (or supersaver) shipping.

When I was a child and had hamsters, the tiniest, youngest ones always died right away. I think they tend to go into shock from being moved to a new home. They only lasted a few weeks. If I got a bigger one, they lived a lot longer. You don't necessarily want the biggest and fattest, but I'd go for more of the teddy bear type than the dwarf or robo and I'd pick a mid sized one.

I agree that aquariums don't have the best ventilation but if the others are living it may not be that. What about a guinea pig? They are sturdier.

This may be random because I think you said the hamsters are all in the same area, but just in case it helps....

We live in an old house and we keep it fairly cool in the winter. Two of my girls have had hamsters over the years and at different times ALL three of the hamsters have gone into hibernation overnight because they got too cool. They looked dead and felt cold BUT they were not, in fact, dead. I was so glad that I had read about this possibility before we ever had hamsters. The first time it happened, the article I read came flooding back to me and we worked to rewarm her and wake her up. It took different amounts of time for each one. It's important to re-hydrate with warm water through a dropper as your re-warming. We put a little sugar in the water to help jump start the process.

Anyway, in case there is any chance that this could be an issue, I though I'd mention it. We only had one hamster at a time, so they didn't have other warm bodies to cuddle with.

I'm so sorry this has been happening and I hope you figure this out.

well, I certainly hope this isnt' the case...we buried him yesterday....but that sapce that they are in is not that cold...but just out of curiostiy, how cool does the space need to be for hibernation to happen? I would think that all 3 hamsters would be going into hibernation is one was, right? Although the hamster in question was younger and smaller...would that have made a difference? Oh, man....I hope he was dead now...we buried him in a box in the back yard...and it is 19 degrees out this morning...if he wasn't dead before, he is now.

We cleaned his cage really well, I bought some special cleaner at Walmart, as well as aspen bedding (this was cheaper than the critter care bedding)...and we hope to get a new one on Monday.

thanks for all of your ideas, responses and help.

We've also had bad luck with hamsters (both large & small breeds). We have both types of cages (wire for large breeds & aquarium for the Robos). Cleaned the cages weekly, with the water/vinegar solution, used top of the line food, etc. Some have died of wet tail, others gained a ton of weight seemingly overnight, and two just dropped dead (the Robos) about 6 months apart. They were sisters, and they are ment to be kept together. We were kinda surprised that the lone sister made it so long. My youngest would love to get another, but I can't stand the pain she goes through watching them die. All have been bought at Petsmart, and a local pet store. I guess I need to find a local breeder. :confused1:

well, I certainly hope this isnt' the case...we buried him yesterday....but that sapce that they are in is not that cold...but just out of curiostiy, how cool does the space need to be for hibernation to happen? I would think that all 3 hamsters would be going into hibernation is one was, right?

I don't know how cool it needs to get. My girls' rooms are upstairs. We have electric heaters that we run when it gets cold. I would say that it may have gotten down to upper 50s inside on VERY cold days when my girls may have forgotten to flip their heaters on when they went to bed. My girls are footy pajama girls and whatever temp it was, it was warm enough for them to be just in their footy pajamas playing in their rooms.

One of the hamsters was a teddy bear and we had had her about 2 years when it first happened. So she was old. Now that I think about it, Biscuit (the teddy bear) had it happen twice. Chloe was between 6 months-1 year at home when it happened to her. Snowball was maybe a year. So four times all together.

It could be that they were in a drafty location. It is an old house. We didn't feel a draft. We had a wire cage that was not near a window and was on the top of a dresser. I'm guessing it had more to do with sudden changes in exterior/interior temps. We have guinea pigs now.

I did not mean to make you worry about this last little hammy. I'm so sorry if I presented my information insensitively. IF...IF...IF the little guy was hibernating and was not actually dead, he did not suffer. He just went to sleep. It is very likely, I would think, that something else is going on if the other two are fine and are located in a similar area/situation.

:grouphug:

• 3 years later...
Guest NoWordsMouth

My sisters Hamster as well keeps dying, from a medical expert, if he shows any symptons such as respretory problems or maybe a bit of biting more than usual, he has caught a common human cold, where any of your children sick a bit or a lot anytime during this time?

Maybe after he died, your child got sick, if so your hamster was exposed to a sickness, if your son was touching things around the cage or wear he usually puts it, they could develop colds as well. If none of these sypmtoms are about

-sneezing,wheezing,shivering,blinking non-stop-

Then the source was either what your feeding him, or the water. Maybe the tempature in the room. If you cleaaned the cage with bleach and dried it, remove any smelling products, do not

use any perfume or deoderent, another problem is if he is exposed to water on him, he could also catch a cold without any sympotoms avaliable through the human eye. Make sure he isn't washing it, the require dirt baths to remove oils, not water and soap, this will harm your hamsters health! If any of these occur, please remember to avoid the cause of the next issue.