Menu

Your go-to ideas for hard-to-shop-for people on your Christmas list?

2squared

You probably have some of these on your list too, so I am hoping we can share ideas.

Some of my go-to gifts for grandparents are personalized stamps with grandchildren's pictures and matching stationary. This year I bought the ILs a photo puzzle of them with all the grandchildren.

Any ideas for single, middle-age adults who want for nothing?

Rainbow Makers!

http://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-Solar-Powered-Double-Rainbow-Maker/dp/B00079WGCE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1354940340&sr=8-3&keywords=Rainbow+maker

They have really gone up in price though. There is a single for about half that price.

Are they really as awesome as the reviews say? Those are some bordering-on-bizarre reviews. I did order one, though.

Terri

I got that for my grandmother last year and it is her favorite thing ever! She is really losing her short term memory, but loves talking about rainbows and colors :) I wanted to get one for our house this year but 40.00 is a bit much. Hoping after Christmas it will go down.

Love to hear other ideas.

Cute idea about the stamps...where do you get them?

We always get FIL a large container of nuts. MIL usually gets pictures of the grandkids. Dh's nieces and nephews get whatever their mother recommends and iTunes cards. Those kids are the nicest kids you ever met. The have never fussed about anything we've given them. In fact, the oldest, a darling, darling boy, told me a few years ago that my gifts were his favorites at Christmas. Oh, the pressure now! They aren't difficult kids, but they are teenagers. Cool teenagers. My oldest is 9. I want to get them something they like, so they are difficult to shop for. Any ideas?

I always look for or make local food things. Here it was a local wine and peach syrup for people who live far away. This year I've made candied jalapenos and escabeche (veggie relish - not fish) for people here and ordered wine from home.

I know there is nothing anyone I know *needs* and food gifts will be used up and not take uo space forever.

Are they really as awesome as the reviews say? Those are some bordering-on-bizarre reviews. I did order one, though.

Terri

Mine is SO awesome. When light hits the solar panel, it twirls the crystals and the light casts twirling mini rainbows all over the room. It is magical, my favorite time of day. In my old house, it was in my kitchen window and the light would usually start hitting it just right when I had to be in there cooking dinner. So lovely. Kids love it. They can't help but love it. I always thought it would be great to have in a baby's room that faced east. What a sweet way to wake up in the morning.

I got that for my grandmother last year and it is her favorite thing ever! She is really losing her short term memory, but loves talking about rainbows and colors :) I wanted to get one for our house this year but 40.00 is a bit much. Hoping after Christmas it will go down.

Cool! Amazon tells me that in 3/10, I paid the cheapest price in my history of purchasing these: $27. So maybe try the spring?

Teens like gift certificates to iTunes, GameStop, amazon, or the movies. You can get a wallet or little animal or phone-purse to make it more like a regular gift, but teens REALLY like 'experiences.'. Also, the like sugar. Have you seen the It's Sugar store? You can get a box of nerds the size of a cereal box. Teens LOVE giant candy :-)

I always look for or make local food things. Here it was a local wine and peach syrup for people who live far away. This year I've made candied jalapenos and escabeche (veggie relish - not fish) for people here and ordered wine from home.

I know there is nothing anyone I know *needs* and food gifts will be used up and not take uo space forever.

Our local specialty is lutefisk. :ack2:

Cute idea about the stamps...where do you get them?

I buy the stamps from Snapfish, but I think you can get them from the USPS online too.

I like the stamps for older people since they are not only cute and consumable, but helpful for people on limited budgets.

• 1 year later...