Menu

For the Sonlight users that do not use the LA program...

Scook86

I used either FLL/WWE/AAS and readers or Shurley English/AAS with readers. Truthfully I would do some sort of reading/phonics program and writing. I like to throw in spelling and grammar too. You could also add in a handwriting program but I don't use a formal one.

Since the LA has been revamped I like it a lot better. I used it in the past but supplemented heavily. With the olders I used Abeka. With the 6yo, I used WWE & FLL. When I got the new LA with my core this year, I wasn't certain if I'd like it, but I do. However, we are enjoying WWE & FLL so much that we are using both, just not every day. We also are finishing up 100 Easy Lessons and will jump into OPGTR somewhere when we are done with 100EZ.

For first grade, the main things you would need are phonics and handwriting. Other subjects can wait or you can intro them now. Doesn't really matter. I don't think there would be any difference long term between a child starting grammar in 1st and a child starting grammar in 2nd or 3rd. :)

When my oldest was in 1st, we weren't using Sonlight, but if we had been, we still would have used the following:

FLL

WWE

AAS (he was reading fluently already, so we went to phonics for spelling)

HWOT (until proper formation was learned... then we just used WWE copywork as our "handwriting")

My middle son will at least use WWE in first. We'll probably try FLL. I'll likely hold off on spelling for him (he's not reading fluently yet, though that could change by next fall - you never know!). When he's ready for spelling, we'll do R&S Spelling, as that's what I use for my oldest now. In the meantime, he'll continue to do phonics for reading. He uses Dancing Bears right now.

Next year for my first grader, I'm going to use AAR and Dancing Bears for phonics, FLL1 for writing and grammar, and HWT1 for handwriting. We may do some copywork from her SL Core A books 2 times a week, depending how her writing skills develop.

I'm saving WWE1 for 2nd grade or later on in 1st grade to make sure she can read what she's copying, plus I want to hit Writing With Skill in 6th grade instead of 5th grade to get the most out of the program as possible.

I'm going to start AAS1 when she has finished more phonics instruction, possibly in the last half of 1st grade.

I am doing SL LA-K loosely this year, and I dislike it, so will not continue with SL LA. It was the first time I tried it (never used it with older girls), and it will be the last. That being said, next year the older girls are doing Core D, and I'm going to pick and choose certain assignments from LA-D since it is included with my Core IG purchase.

What exactly is it about LA that people don't like? And are more of the dislike-ers people who have used the older versions? I know that for 2012 they did a huge overhaul of everything so I'm wondering if the LA program has changed much or if people still aren't liking it.

What exactly is it about LA that people don't like? And are more of the dislike-ers people who have used the older versions? I know that for 2012 they did a huge overhaul of everything so I'm wondering if the LA program has changed much or if people still aren't liking it.

The LA program changes often, and it will likely change again. I personally wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket. ;)

I think it's too much writing too early, at least for my boys. I also don't like all-in-one LA or tying the LA to the history studies because my oldest reads and comprehends at a very high level, but he writes roughly at grade level (he's pencil phobic). He understands grammar easily and is picking up spelling reasonably well. He's not one level in all of the LA subjects, so combining them just doesn't work for him. He's doing Core D with advanced readers right now, and it's a perfect fit (well, the reading is easy, but I'm ok with that), but the LA would be too much writing, and the grammar would be very easy for him.

I am doing the 2012 version of LA-K. While I can see it is much lighter on writing, it's still too much for my K'er. Plus, if you add the "optional" explode the code workbooks, they skip around in the letter portion of LA-K, so you will have workbook pages that have questions about letters we haven't learned yet following the SL schedule. I go over them with DD5 anyway, but she hasn't been introduced yet to the letter.

I cannot comment too much on the older LAs, as I haven't used any of them, but from people that have used it (even the newer version), the writing portion of the curriculum has extremely little hand-holding and isn't incremental like many children need. I have heard that the organization is better in the newer version.

With my 1st grader this year we are using:

FLL 1 (3 days)

WWE 1(4 days)

OPGTR (We do this for 5 days but we spread out the lessons. So he may do 2 lessons in just one week....We are up to lesson 149)

AAS ( I know some HS'ers don't like to start spelling yet at this age, but AAS has really taken my ds into the next level of writing and reading. We finished AAS 1 in 2 months and he is now taking off with AAS2 on step 10. We added in the AAR Level 2 Books to go along with each step. He keeps a reading journal and writes 1-2 sentences about the story followed by a picure. Oh, I also plug in his AAS words in Spelling City and he practices those while I'm busy with my other dc.)

ETC (He is just about through with Book 3. He does this and handwriting on his own during quite time)

HWOT 1 (Again, ds has just a few more pages with this.....then we will just use WWE copywork for handwriting along with his reading journal. I've been thinking about getting StartWrite CD to use to finish out the year.)

We are also SL/SOTW users.....I tried the LA K for ds in grade K....but it didn't work out. The LA regiment we are doing now has really been an eye opener for him. He has grown miles with it!

Good Luck!