Menu

Middle school science options?

ok, so i posted last week about about Dad wanting our dd to start middle school this year. Well i think i have talked him out of that idea now.

I am planning to do

Sonlight 6,

Sonlight 6 LA (I think),

Spelling Power

Saxon 7/6,

Artistic pursuits

I just need some ideas on science....

I want...

..something planned out

..secular

..preferably something we can follow for the 3 middle school years

..NOT the same topic for the whole year

She wants...

..lots of experimets, (hands on)

..to be able to use her microscope

she likes the look of the Exploration Education curriculum, is that meaty enough, or could it be with added text?

I like the look of Real Science 4 kids. (i think this fits all our needs/wants??)

Any other suggestions??

thanks

-rebecca-

We have used Real Science 4 Kids. I am not sure if it would meet your requirements? If you did all three topics (Chemistry, Physics, Biology) in one year (since you say that you do not want the same topic for the whole year), then you would be done with the middle school Real Science program in one year.

We stuck with the WTM idea of doing one topic per year and cycling (life sciences, earth sciences/astronomy, chemistry, physics). So we took each section of Real Science 4 Kids and used it for the entire year, integrating it with other materials (since it would not have been enough on its own). For example, when doing the Biology year, we also did the two books How Nature Works and How the Human Body works as well as the Biology sections from Real Science. We did the experiments from Real Science (which are good for the Biology year - you do use a microscope quite a bit) and we did experiments from the How . . . books plus some other sources. In addition, the girls used outside reference books to write several reports each week. So by doing that the Biology part of Real Science 4 Kids lasted all year.

But again, unless I am misunderstanding you, if you wanted to do all 3 topics in one year, then you would not have anything from the Real Science book for years 2 and 3 of middle school unless you then went into the second level of Real Science - but again, that would I think then only give you one additional year.

Best wishes,

Lydia

Glencoe Integrated Science, Red, Green, Blue.

They cycle through physics, chemistry, earth/space science and biology each year and include easy-to-implement (and fun) experiments and activites for each chapter. They are very straightforward, no teacher's manual necessary unless you are totally unfamiliar with the basic science. However, you must be certain that you get the same year for all three books because they moved the topics around for the 2008 versions. They do have pretty good support sites, as well, and the 2008 version has free virtual labs for each chapter!

Glencoe's Science Voyages does not include all topics each year, just in case you notice that they have levels red, blue and green, as well. I have no idea what the difference is between Voyages and not-Voyages.

Now, lets not be crazy, these are basic, public school books so the questions and assessments are very basic. I definitely made my own tests, added extra critical thinking questions and assigned essays. The information, however, is very thorough and is what is expected of middle school science. The physics and chemistry are not to the level of a physical science course, but I know that today, ps considers that a 9th grade course. Sometimes. Depending on the district, I suppose.

HTH!

by same subject/topic i meant that I don't want to be studying one individual subject (eg. the solar system) for a whole year.

I don't mind studying biology for a whole year.

-rebecca-

Ah, then you might like Real Science 4 Kids. But again, I think you would need to supplement it if stretching each section to last a year.

-Lydia

I want...

..something planned out

..secular

..preferably something we can follow for the 3 middle school years

..NOT the same topic for the whole year

She wants...

..lots of experimets, (hands on)

..to be able to use her microscope

she likes the look of the Exploration Education curriculum, is that meaty enough, or could it be with added text?

Have you looked at PH Science Explorer? We combine it with Exploration Education and TOPS.

If you do a board search, you will find lots of information.

how long does each book last?

-rebecca-

The books contain 3 topics (Chemistry, Physics, Biology). I have only used Level I so far, but I *think* Level II is the same three topics, just at a more advanced level. Real Science 4 Kids seems to assume that you will do one book in one year. That is not how we have done it. We have stretched each of the 3 topics to last a year, *but* we have used it with other resources, as I discussed in my post earlier in this thread. The Real Science probably at best was 1/3 of our material for the year. So how long the book lasts depends on how you use it.

Best wishes,

Lydia

hi - you said you wanted a secular curriculum. i haven't seen the real science 4 kids curriculum, but the author is on record as being a creationist, not a secularist.... there is an interview with her on the www.idthefuture.com, an intelligent design website.

hth,

elfgivas

I really liked the Real Science samples on their website and really liked the course, but the God stuff was just too much. I can usually deal with some God stuff but Real Science, well, it is overwhelming.

I really liked the Real Science samples on their website and really liked the course, but the God stuff was just too much. I can usually deal with some God stuff but Real Science, well, it is overwhelming.

I am confused. We have the Real Science 4 Kids Level I, and as far as I know there is not a single reference to God in it. What specifically are you referring to?

-Lydia

I am confused. We have the Real Science 4 Kids Level I, and as far as I know there is not a single reference to God in it. What specifically are you referring to?

-Lydia

wow! Maybe I got it mixed up with another one. I'll probably never know as I've been looking at a bazillion programs from Art to Math so I'll rescind my statement and look again. Well, I'm looking at Pandia Press and that is NOTHING of what I remembered so I've obviously confused Real Science with a Christian-based science program.

So sorry for the confusion!

This is driving me crazy - I think I remember the website, it was blue background and a picture of the family and it was definitely science. Oh, I think my brain is full.

AHA! I FOUND IT!!! Rainbow Science. (sheesh!) :) I love the story-like format of the program but it is just way too religious for me.

RS4K Level II is for middle school. Also, we used the chemistry and it did not last a full year. I agree with the other poster who said that it's all about how you use it. It is a great program, though.

We use CyberEd science offered through Homeschool buyers co-op. It is middle school level. Like RS4K, a single course would need to be supplemented to last a full school year.

Guest Hetheric

I am using K12.com for 7th grade science. He is studying Life Science this year, next year he will do physical science, and then move to Earth Science for 9th. It is possible to do them in any order, but I picked Life science since I have a 1st and 4th grader also doing nature, animals , and the human body.

I have been looking into Science all morning for my brood:

We're unschoolers but living outside the US, I have to make all my material purchases once a year and hope they satisfy the kids' needs. I have a 14 and 12yo boys and 8 and 6yo girls. We have never done "school" or tests and I have no idea of grade level. They are all off the charts in reading comprehension and the eldest reads at an adult level. I suppose the 12yo reads at level - we have Sonlight and he can read and enjoy all the Core 5 books.

The boys are interested in doing experiments this year and I've been looking into the following science curriculum.

Real Science - this seems a bit babyish but could be something for the girls. Realistically, I know the girls are going to be involved in whatever the boys do so I don't think getting 2 different levels will be really what we want to do. But I'm open. Also, I've seen reference to a level 2 that would encompass the Middle School years, but I'm not seeing it on their site.

Apologia - this seems to me to really talk down to the kids (instructor knows best and is superior) and is overly religious (I could really do without all the references to "Creation") but very easy to understand and doesn't seem to heavy and dry. But it doesn't sem like something we can do with the girls. And after looking at 3 different texts it is just WAY too religious for me.

Prentice Hall Science Explorer - I am having a hard time evaluating this one as I can find no links that show what is inside the books. I am, however, leaning towards having the boys pick out 3-5 TOPS experiments and then getting the PH books that relate to each TOPS experiment. But that is a huge outlay of cash for something I can't look at... AHA! I found it! It is the "request sample". But apparently you have to lie and say you're a school, even though they have "homeschool" as an option.

Exploration Education - I could tell right away from the Demo this wouldn't work. WAY too schooly and polished. Also looks like it teaches to a test instead of understanding. I really prefer more hands-on in the form of books instead of computer time too. The boys already do Teaching Textbooks on the computer and play Runescape until about 3am, so I don't think they need more time inside on the computer.

Sonlight Science - We already have many of the books Sonlight suggests for 1+2 and 5, and I really disagree with segreggating the girls from the boys - my boys need to know about girls menstruation, pregnancy and body changes as much as they do their own. I really don't think we need much sex ed anyway as we have been talking about sex from a very early age as it comes up. Also the Jason DVDs look good, but again, I don't need them on the computer MORE. :) I might pick up a book or two from their selections though, unless I go with something else.

Glencoe Science - This looks like another public school textbook thing? Since I can't find samples, I'm going to guess this is just like Prentice Hall?

TOPS - I am really leaning towards having the boys pick out 5 of these and I'll get some PH/Glencoe books and just read to them while they play Runescape. I like the simple format, the use of everyday (though maybe not here in Mexico :)) materials and the experimental nature of the material. It seems to be easy to read and understand also.

Beautiful Feet History of Science - We actually, thanks to Sonlight, have many of these books. And there are no experiment books. But (oh, how my grammar suffers online) if we didn't have the books I would definitely get many of the books in this series, and I will probably pick up a couple books we don't have.

Galore Park Science - We're leaning towards the Latin Prep I and II (need to find out how long each book should last) and this would fit well but I have no idea what the books are like. Sigh. I wish there was some way to explore the books so I could decide. I'm guessing something like PH and Glencoe but without all the tests? You can download samples from the publisher - Here is Science 1 Looking at the product, it seems really engaging. Here is Book 2

Does anyone have any input? I'm really leaning towards the TOPS + something else for all 4 and the girls will absorb whatever from the boys' experiments.

Also, I hope this has helped the OP also, I included the links so she could explore on her own.

Have you looked at PH Science Explorer? We combine it with Exploration Education and TOPS.

I second Science Explorer. My ds11 really likes these books. They have lots of experiment ideas. I was able to find a used California edition of all the Earth Science topics combined into one big text. We are supplementing with Science in a Nutshell kits from Delta Education.

Does anyone have any input? I'm really leaning towards the TOPS + something else for all 4 and the girls will absorb whatever from the boys' experiments.

We have enjoyed Science Explorer combined with TOPS and Exploration Education. TOPS is great because it's cheap and easy to implement and even easier if you pick books with support kits. We chose SE Astronomy and Weather & Climate and TOPS Rocks & Minerals to complement each other within Earth Science, but choosing similar topics is a great idea too.

It might not be possible in Mexico, but many buy SE used for lots less. Also, call the PH 800 number and ask them to help you see a sample online. Their website is a mess, but the 800 number people are very, very nice. I have a sample of the guided reading and study workbook. Email me, and I'll send it to you.

Good luck!