Menu

McRuffy Phonics and Reading and AAR

bethanyjoy

My daughter (1st grade) is finishing AAR1 and is getting ready to begin AAR2. I really like All About Reading and would like to continue with it. I have been looking for something to use with her for next year for spelling, grammar, and writing when she'll be in second grade. I like the look of McRuffy's Phonics and Reading program. For those that have used the 2nd grade level of McRuffy's program, would it be completely redundant to use it along with AAR? If so, is it possible to separate the phonics portion and only use the other aspects of their language arts program? Also, if we didn't use McRuffy's 1st grade program, would it be okay to begin at 2nd grade or would my daughter have missed too much (we haven't done anything with grammar and spelling yet)?

ETA: Okay, I just looked at the forums at All About Learning and AAR3 won't be out until the end of 2013. We will definately need something after AAR2 before then. It looks like we might only use McRuffy (2nd grade) without AAR. Would that be a good transition after AAR2? I have AAS Level 1, but I'm not sure I want to use it.

Thanks,

Bethany

We haven't used AAR but, my daughter is using McRuffy 1st grade now. I really like some aspects but the spelling is pretty challenging for my first grader. So we are continuing with AAS Level 2 because I think it gives a better explanation of spelling rules. She did AAS Level 1 last year. The reading and workbook exercises in McRuffy have been a big hit. Just wish the spelling lists were more like AAS.

I have tried McRuffy numerous times for that age, and it's a good program but it's all very integrated together. It would be hard, but not impossible, to pull out just the parts you need.

Is there a reason you don't want to use AAS? My youngest is 7 and about half way through AAR 1, but we're not going as fast as he could so we can really nail down those sounds and work on fluency as we go. I may have to stretch AAR2 a little bit but not to much before 3 comes out.

I'm not to worried about grammar for that age, but if I was I'd probably use FLL 2 if you want minimal writing and GWG if you want more of a workbook approach.

Creekster519 and Kel,

Thank you both for answering my questions! Kel, I'm just not sure about AAS. I'm afraid that it is so similar to AAR that my daughter will become bored with doing both programs. I'm trying to decide if she would do better with a workbook spelling program or one like AAR. I just don't know yet. I also like that all LA components are incorporated into McRuffy. It just seems easier that way and might make the day flow better instead of jumping from one thing to another (phonics, spelling, grammar, writing, etc.). I just don't know. Also, I was reading our state standards of what first graders are learning and I got panicky thinking that we are not covering a lot of that stuff! I know I shouldn't compare, but it's hard not to!

Bethany

We use AAR just for the readers. We use separate programs for reading, writing, spelling, and grammar. I have been combining Natural Speller with How to Teach Spelling but recently found Spellwell and really like it. For simplicity I will probably switch to just Spellwell. I know you weren't specifically asking about these programs, but I wanted to share our experience of using different curricula for language arts as compared to one holistic program. I like having different curricula for each area of language arts. My children can move at a different pace in each area and is also receiving the benefits of different styles of instruction and academic language. The student vocabulary and the strategies for reading and writing seem more expansive this way as well. If I don't like how we are progressing in one area, I can change it without there being an impact to the entire language arts program. It is more expensive to purchase all these multiple programs, but each one was cheaper than having one holistic program, being unhappy with it at some point, and buying another entire language arts package. Hope this helps! If you want more info on any of the curric I listed above, let me know.