Menu

Heavy duty dog bed and leash for puppy?

Stayseeliz

OUr beagle puppy is almost 5 months old and I'd really like him to have a bed at this point but I don't want him to chew it up. Especially at night when he's in his kennel. He also need a new leash and he's been chewing his. I got a chain link and it's way too heavy and too loud on the floor when he's tethered. Any thoughts? Thanks!

My bigger dog (who's really just medium sized) has a crib mattress for a bed. But of course it won't work in a crate. For a crated puppy who's still chewing I'd either go with no bedding or use old sheets or towels until he gets out of the chewing stage. Or you could pick up a few inexpensive bed pillows at a dollar store. WalMart usually has cheap pillows for around $3 each. If he chews one up it's not a big loss. Giving him a couple of safe, appropriate chew toys in his crate may help.

My GSD is a chewer even now at just over a year but when he's in his kennel, he doesn't do a thing. Even at 4-6 months when the chewing was at its worst and we put chew toys in his kennel for him, he wouldn't chew while crated. It might not be a big deal for you.

When it comes to the leash, I'd just use that as a training opportunity and hand him a favorite toy when he starts chewing the leash. Our GSD did this too. :)