Menu

Need resources for teaching sewing ...

My dd has been asking for a sewing machine for a couple years. She loves doing crafts. She has been cutting and gluing or tying together doll clothes and wants to make clothes for herself. I bought her a nice machine for Christmas but I don't know how to sew properly. I could teach her all I know in about 5 min....stick the material under and sew in a line. My husband did some sewing because he used to recover chairs but doesn't know anything about sewing clothing. I'd like her to learn to do it properly so does anyone have any good resources for teaching sewing?

there are several kid's sewing machine books on amazon. we have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sewing-Machine-Kids--The/dp/1571202544/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1354883852&sr=8-3&keywords=kids+sewing+books

I like it a lot. it starts very simple with just sewing on paper- no thread- to learn how to do straight lines and corners. it's full of fun mazes to sew through, safety activities, games, and riddles.

you can also look into a local fabric/craft store. jo-ann's has a kid's sewing class. it is $35 for a 3 hour class and will teach them everything from the very beginning and they will come home with a pillowcase. we will be taking my dd probably after the new year. http://www.joann.com/kidsstudio/

Your dd is 10 years old? Two easy places to start would be learning to mend the family's torn clothing, and to hand-sew some doll clothes. Then move up to the sewing machine.

Is the doll the size of an American Girl Doll? They have lots of patterns for that size, which should make it easy. There will be step-by-step instructions, and you can start with something easy--like a poncho or skirt.

Maybe she could eventually make a matching skirt for herself.

Kids' Sewing Class is an easy option, or finding a homeschool highschooler or Mom who can help you. There are also instructional videos on youtube.

Sewing is MENTAL much of the time--trying to picture the 3-D finished product can be a challenge when it's inside out and backwards.

Also, threading the machine (both the upper thread and the bobbin thread) can be quite difficult for a 10yo to learn.

Best wishes on helping her. My dd had the same glue/tape-it-together creativity at that age. She grew into sewing costumed dresses, like Jane Austen and LOTR style, and enjoyed the process immensely.

We took the process quite gradually starting with hand sewing. Since you are not familiar yourself with a sewing machine you need to find someone to help with that part. Either a class or an elderly friend would be perfect.

We started with baby blankets for a gift (two pieces of fabric wrong sides together, quarter inch seam around outside edge leaving four inches, turn right side out, quarter inch stiching around outside edge). Both dcs have made these several times but I am comfortable with the machine myself. Whenever ds sews we always have to adjust tension etc.

I think that there is some value in learning to hand sew a bit, as later on she will be doing some here and there. I also think that most of what she needs to learn she can learn from the sewing machine manual and patterns that she can work from.

I would start by sewing various shapes (eg. straight lines, curved lines, squares and circles) on cardstock using only a needle - no thread. I have a older blog post talking about what I did for my dd in the beginning that shows how we did this. Since your dd is older I don't think that this will take her long to master, but it is much easier to see how well you are doing on paper first.

Then, I would move on to a simple pattern with only straight lines....think about pillow cases, placemats, and such. Learn how to thread the machine together and show her how to begin and end her sewing. You may want to look through the library for a beginning sewing book if you need help explaining how to read a pattern.

After that you can move on to patterns that contain some curved lines. My dd is currently working on a ladybug shaped fleece pillow for this. And then you would introduce patterns that contain fasteners (eg. buttons, velcro, zippers) and on and on. By only introducing one new technique (or a difficult fabric) then she can slowly grow her skills.

I drew lines on a piece of felt, the 25cent kind, with a marker and had DD follow the lines. The biggest part of sewing is following a line and curve. Also, have her learn reverse and staying on the same line while going in reverse. The felt is nice because it is thicker, easier to hang onto and doesn't slip. White felt and colored thread works great.

Thank you all for the suggestions. She has done some hand sewing. I wish we had a JoAnn's close because I would sign her up for the class. I did sew a Halloween costume once...many years ago but since I didn't really know a lot, I made some mistakes that could have been avoided.

I think we'll try the book from Amazon. The man where I bought the machine gave me a video for her to watch.

There is a Mary Frances book that covers handsewing. Another resource for knowledgable sewers is the Society for Creative Anachronism( a medieval recreation group other historical recreation groups might be able to help as well). There are generally multiple knowlegeable sewwers in a group and they are generally willing to help someone new learn.