Menu

TIP or other program for SAT

jade

My son took the ACT through Northwestern's NUMATs program. We live near Chicago, so I thought we would go that route. He is going to take the SAT in January. I am just wondering if there is any advantage to signing up for the SAT through Duke's TIP program or Johns Hopkins.

I guess my thought is we're already in Northwestern's program. Duke seems to have different courses and options. We might also consider doing one of the weekend programs, as we have relatives in Raleigh.

Does anyone have any experience in being in more than one gifted program through colleges?

My son is 10, so he's in the earlier levels.

He's testing with Duke TIP this year. He did Hopkins SCAT in 2nd grade, Northwestern EXPLORE in 4th, and doing EXPLORE with Duke this year in 5th.

I intend to have him redo all in 6th/7th grade to continue access to the courses (assuming his scores stay high enough). He did a Young Readers course with CTY (Hopkins) this summer.

I figure since the course offerings are different, having him in different programs lets us keep options open.

I like options :)

If courses weren't available for testing, I'd be less likely to have him test with multiple programs.

My son took the ACT through Northwestern's NUMATs program. I am just wondering if there is any advantage to signing up for the SAT through Duke's TIP program or Johns Hopkins.

Does anyone have any experience in being in more than one gifted program through colleges?

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, which I doubt, you don't have to take the ACT or the SAT through the individual talent search programs in order to participate in the programs. If your son's ACT scores meet CTY or TIP's cutoff scores, your son is good to go - no need to test again.

I signed my oldest up though CTY's Talent Search, but CTD said that he would not have to retest if he wanted to take a class with them, I would just have to submit the SAT score.

I didn't sign my middle up through any Talent Search program when he took the SAT last year. I just signed him up on my own and saved about $40 in testing fees. I had the CB send his scores to CTY in order for him to participate in CTY's programs.