Menu

Timeline Success

We use a timeline book instead of a wall timeline. I took a spiral top bound sketchbook and turned it on its side so the spiral was down the side. Drew a line down the center of each page and listed the date range in the top corner of each two page spread. You can do 25 year increments per page (front and back), which is 50 years per two-page spread when the book is open. A 150 page, 11x17 sketchbook works great. You end up with a few extra pages, so I stuck a few in front for prehistory and a few in back for specialized mini-timelines (such as the civil war, space race, etc).

DS12 is on his second rotation through history, still using the same timeline book. It's great how seeing stuff he added in first or second grade is helping remind him of what he learned back then, or spurring his interest to learn more about it now.

The books work well for us. I don't really have room or the urge to display a wall timeline. Plus, the books are also providing a keepsake. They love showing them off to grandparents, for example! They are easy to store on our history shelf and easy for the kids too look through to find information.

We use a timeline book instead of a wall timeline. I took a spiral top bound sketchbook and turned it on its side so the spiral was down the side. Drew a line down the center of each page and listed the date range in the top corner of each two page spread. You can do 25 year increments per page (front and back), which is 50 years per two-page spread when the book is open. A 150 page, 11x17 sketchbook works great. You end up with a few extra pages, so I stuck a few in front for prehistory and a few in back for specialized mini-timelines (such as the civil war, space race, etc).

DS12 is on his second rotation through history, still using the same timeline book. It's great how seeing stuff he added in first or second grade is helping remind him of what he learned back then, or spurring his interest to learn more about it now.

The books work well for us. I don't really have room or the urge to display a wall timeline. Plus, the books are also providing a keepsake. They love showing them off to grandparents, for example! They are easy to store on our history shelf and easy for the kids too look through to find information.

If you need timeline pictures, this site has a huge gallery of free images: http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/

Thanks for the great ideas!